Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The disruption of Food Agriculture .. unrecognizable by 2030

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Ah steady on their now, no point on making it personal. It's just a discussion.

I don't see any agendas that are being mentioned here. It's like it's been put out that these new food production systems are from the Vegan or anti-dairy movements. That simply is not the case, no doubt they will jump onboard but again, it is not what the disruption is about.

To me it is innovation and I applaud them for making advancements like that. Yes there are a lot of unanswered questions, hence why it has been so slow up to now before adoption. The fda in the US are very cautious on this new technology. I assume the European and Irish versions will be also

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Theirs some very good reasons why the fda won't sign of it on this crap, I think they have been persuaded to endorse it in the meantime since this study money talks and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭emaherx

Which part was too personal for you?

I thought I was having an on topic discussion. Looking back your posts have been some what more personal and anti farmer in a farming forum. To be fair most replies here have been fairly civil considering.

What about tomorrow though? When it becomes obvious that many of these alternatives are neither healthier nor more environmentally friendly than the conventionally farmed options. Cheaper will be their only hope.

They will argue that fermented or cultured foods require 10 % the land mass of conventional farming and that it can eliminate transport etc.

A lot of people are intolerant to dairy so that could be another angle.

Food waste would be another one, a refined process might reduce it.

That report is sensationalist in nature, wholesale deployment of that tech would have devastating consequences for developing world countries that have agri as their primary exports.

If the goal is climate change risk reduction then the answer is reduce consumption and waste of food, travel, the natural world and resources

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Biscuitus

Lab grown meat and dairy if done right would be used to keep food prices low, the elite will still want their "real" foods so the market will always be there. It would cause massive unemployment across the world's farms but I'd bet its small compared to the enormous lay offs that computers will cause in 20-30 years. Every IT job is on countdown the same way machines put people out of jobs in industrial plants.

Sure they say 57 % of financial jobs etc gone in the next 10 years etc.

Ireland would be screwed as most of the tax is coming from PAYE people in FDI companies and PAYE people working in SMEs providing services to FDI and FDI staff.

At least on a farm we could grow food etc.

The scariest thing is a privileged few getting access to this new transformative tech when it should be distributed equally

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Biscuitus

Thats a crazy amount. What happens then? The amount of people I know who ended up behind a screen after doing a college course nothing to do with the job they ended up in because there were zero jobs in Ireland in that area. They are using farming as a scapegoat lately to blame for everything and dissuading young people from taking over family farms. In 10-15 years there could be massive unemployment in so many industries. Scary thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

That’s exactly where they are trying to bring the market.

No need for messy farming, just produce everything in a vat in an industrial unit.

have total control of the food chain, control the food control the people. Your analogy to the pharma industry in the US is spot on, people will be easily made slaves when there is no other form of food, the proof is already there. in the us if you can’t afford the hyper inflated medicine prices you just die.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

There is a woman in a gym with a friend of mine. She was lost over 7 stone in last last couple of years through exercise but also now she makes all her food from raw ingredients and doesn’t use any processed foods, even like bought breads etc. It’s very time consuming but she put a lot of the weight loss down to that change.

• Advertisement

Makes sense to me, fair play to her it's hard to cut out all highly processed foods, but a reduction would do us all no harm. I grow a lot of my own food and try to make most dinners from scratch with proper ingredients, which has greatly reduced my sodium and processed sugar intake.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

you could spend your nights listening to lads forecasting this that or the other doom on YouTube or podcasts. If they really knew what is going to happen they would go away and make a few bob out of it instead of telling the world.our policey remains unchanged,.make as much money as you can every year and worry about next year next year

It’s really hard when your busy. We cook from ingredients as much as possible, haven’t bought bread in years, it’s made here 3-4 times a week.

It is of course, and there's plenty more meals/snacks in the day here too where our diet is far from perfect, my point was as much as possible. But I certainly wouldn't like to see a world where the target is 100% highly processed manufactured foods. It won't help diets, the environment or starving nations but will probably be advertised as such.

I have to disagree, these new food production methods have a vastly smaller ecological footprint, to say otherwise is just BS. There are several upsides to food production this way, number 1 would be the end of the destruction of eco-systems such as the Amazon rain forest to make way for agriculture, but also a chance to re-establish Natural Forests and ecosystems back into many parts of the western world.

We are in the middle of a mass distinction of wild Animals. Modern Agriculture is Wildlife unfriendly, very mono-cultural and the number 1 green-house gas producing Industry. These are facts that cannot be disputed.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

The Energy sector covers/has areas in many many other sectors, not least Agriculture which uses huge amounts of Energy for transportation, heating, fertilizer production etc.

Either way you'll get people to argue that the Earth is flat and carrots are Natural.

All while producing a perfectly healthy and varied diet? Or do we just live on lab produced milk. I think we are a long way from the fantasy you envision.

The bigger question here is how farming can remain productive and help contribute to bio diversity

The European Schemes didnt work, new ideas are needed.

The monoculture set ups in agri dont work for bio diversity.

There is a place for conventional farming but there is also a need to look in to these new technologies like cultured meat, fermented food and aquaponics etc.

Ireland need to look at energy crops as well and producing gas from sewage and waste food etc.

• Advertisement

I think I've been fairly consistent in my concern about these synthetic foods. Reducing carbon footprint for the environment is important but not at a cost to nutrition even the IPCC reports recognise that fact, there are far more areas where we can and should reduce our carbon impact before we turn away from producing real food.

Speaking of rambling, what's your issue with carrots? The modern carrot has been produced by centuries of selective breeding, its far more natural than any of the lab foods or even GM crops being created today. Selective breeding only encourages certain natural traits that already exist.

On selective breeding, its interesting to see cattle being selectively bred back with the traits of their ancestors.

https://rewildingeurope.com/rewilding-in-action/wildlife-comeback/tauros/ Also interesting that the project was brought around due to the negative effect on biodiversity caused by the decline in livestock farming. (Ok now I'm rambling 😁)

Absolutely, when I say it’s hard I mean we do occasionally have processed foods, occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Honestly doesn't look like he has his head in the sand, just staying the course until something actually changes. We are still a long way from commercially viable lab grown meats, a product which may never actually be commercially viable or accepted by the masses. What would you have farmers do? Down tools now just in case there may or may not be a competitive synthetic food market in the future? If we all stop producing food now for that reason then the world would have a much bigger problem.

Well the thing is there really isn't many areas that we can reduce the carbon footprint. The low hanging fruit like warmer homes, making engines more fuel efficient and turning to electric is fully underway. But what then? if not Agriculture where can the carbon footprint be reduced? Ban Air travel?, ban concrete, ban mining? I really love to know where you think these reductions can come from.

As for the issue with carrots, I have none. The issue is the language that is being used. Claiming certain foods to be more Natural than others is just marketing spin and goes into the same category as meaningless words such as Wholesome, rich, warm, Hearthy, comforting, heart-hearthy etc etc I'll even add free-range and Organic to the list unless you are happy to pretend the Chicken drumstick you are crunching in your mouth for Sunday lunch lived a life of rainbows and butterflies before being slathered and threw on the grill. Might as well add in BS to the list of warm words too!

How far away is " a long way from commercially viable lab grown meats" or Milk for that matter?

Every sector of society needs to reduce their footprint not just farming, I'm not suggesting farming gets a free pass in this regard either. But people need to eat real food. I find it hard to believe you don't really think carrots are more natural than these synthetic foods and if you do I doubt many will agree.

Plenty of meat is produced with very low carbon footprint, a lot of beef in this country may even be carbon negative, plenty of cattle raised here are raised on biodiverse grasslands too, not all animal agriculture is equal, the same of course is true of crops, some have a far bigger environmental impact than others.

There are several documented cases where completely removing animal agriculture from certain areas had a far more negative effect on the local environment than the farming practices that were there previously, but reintroducing properly managed animal agriculture or re-wilding with similar grazing animals had a much more positive impact.

What is "real food", "more Natural" more makey-upy words.

"Plenty of meat is produced with very low carbon footprint" that statement is nonsense and you know it.

"a lot of beef in this country may even be carbon negative" What?? 😨 are you thick or just having a laugh? If they are Carbon negative that means that they are storing Carbon on the farm. Please show me where on any Irish Beef farm the Carbon store is? (Other than the septic tank from the muck mansion)

No there isn't plenty of research showing that Beef farming is a carbon store. There is zero.

"Well managed grassland" is not the view of Mariska Bartlett, She is talking about grazing patterns that mimic Wild animals on the pampas grasslands and the prairies of the US in the form of semi-wild farming activities. Big Big difference between that and Beef farming in Ireland or any other Beef farm around the world as you well know.

Spin your untruths someplace else, you are only trying to blur what is really happening

• Advertisement

What are your credentials for assessing the content of that article? Because as a trained Holistic manager I can safely say you didn't understand what was linked for you to read.

Advertisement