Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 NFL season - Week 3 thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Sounds like you are off the Nagy train @Oat23 although I’m not sure how on it you’ve been prior to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,171 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I WAS on board with Nagy being head coach in the mould of Mike Tomlin. Let him be the leader. Let him be involved in gameplanning and scheming on offense but keep him away from playcalling.

He gave up playcalling last season and things improved, but then took it back after the season. I'm done with him now. Too stubborn and too proud to know his own limitations. He better be fired on January 10th.

This tweet seems be in the same vein as you oats23 and the replies are uniformly in agreement with this tweet. For a non bears fan I have to say I found mat Nagys whole “scheme” answer to a reporters question bizarre and then had to get the bears PR to clean up that mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,171 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Myles Garrett has been 1 v 1 against 39 year old Jason Peters all game. No help at all, even now after Garrett being a gamewrecker through 3 quarters. Peters is still out there 1 v 1 trying to block him.

It's criminal.

1 net passing yard for the Bears offense today. Nagy finally 1 screen with 3 minutes left when the game was already over. Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Tucker walk off 66 yards field goal. Chargers pull off the win despite some bizarre play calling

• Advertisement

A record NFL field goal of 66 yards bounced off the crossbar and dropped over for the ravens to get the win in detroit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Don’t post a lot in this forum anymore (judging by page number not many do after the transition) but wow Justin Tucker has to be the best kicker in league history. He has been clutch since the start of his career.

Yeah the chargers made it way harder than it should have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Pain.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Rather give Mahomes the ball with a final drive than give Tucker any FG opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Zoton

Lions always finding new and unusual ways to lose.

Thought the 4th and 19 would maybe be enough to close it out. Sigh...

Andy Reid left arrowhead in an ambulance after not feeling well. The bucs and rams game wasn’t lighting the world alight so I’ve switched back to redzone.

The fact the eagles aren’t playing today isn’t helping my enthusiasm to watch this week’s games.

TD rams to go 14-7 up. I had to double check I was watching redzone and not the rams vs bucs game.

And I want the bucs to win for two reasons. 1) because I have Brady, Godwin, and fournette on my fantasy team and 2) because the bucs play the pats next Sunday night where Brady returns to New England to take care of family business.

The jets don’t even look likely to score and it’s nearly half way through the third.

This dolphins vs raiders game has been entertaining.

That looked like gronk was winded.

The jets look like they’ll be shutout.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

Averaging under 7 points per game.

6 points across the last 2 games. Defense has been decent but they have been against teams with better defenses than offenses generally and well teams start running the clock pretty early against the Jets. Though they have not been helped by the offense on field position either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Don't see a reason why the 49ers are sticking with Jimmy, that Lance TD run shows exactly the type of stress he puts on a defense. I would understand if Jimmy was playing at his peak attacking the middle of the field but he isn't and the 49ers clearly do not trust any of their remaining RBs so it impacts a pocket QB even more. 49ers should be out of the game but with 2 more CBs gone out and Rodgers is carving them up it is time to take the risk.

Ugh, Jimmy played better in the second half but WTF were they doing a) snapping it for the touchdown that early with all their time outs, b) not covering Adams when the Packers had the ball.

Frustrating but much better in the second half again, especially with all the injuries. Can't start slow again the next two weeks against the Seahawks and the Cardinals.

Still think Lance is the way to go - sick of seeing a limited offense to hide a limited QB.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

You don't want to go with all the rookie mistakes that will bring like missing short throws and sending them into the defenders hands or throwing it backwards for the defense to recover. Jimmy had some good play but also loses his mind at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

What are you basing this off, is it his 5 yard pass or 4 rushes for 3 yards?

Shanahan is no fool and he's shown he will run with the hot hand in other positions so I'd guess it's a case of him believing that Lance isn't ready yet.

I am basing it off a) watching every snap Jimmy has taken since joining the 49ers where he has shown his limitations (even ignoring his regular rookie level mistakes - not being a mobile threat and having arm strength limitations limits any throw outside of the numbers or anything long which combined makes things much easier for any defense), b) watching a good bit of tape and analysis of Lance from college and every snap during preseason (where he has consistently shown he is incredibly mobile and top tier arm strength), c) watching what is successful in the league right - which is not having a physically limited QB trying to dink and dunk their way up the field.

I don't think you've been paying attention to Shanahan at all if that is your assessment of him over the last few years, it is a consistent frustration of 49ers fans that whenever things are close between two players that Kyle will normally go with the vet rather than a younger player that has more upside and playing well. Kyle definitely might feel like Lance isn't ready but I don't know if that is the most likely option, he also might believe that with his scheme and the rest of the squad Jimmy is the lowest risk right now - with a ceiling that is high enough to win most games and a high enough floor to avoid losing most games. Over 3 weeks we've seen that work twice and fail once, I however think you have to be incredibly lucky for that plan to win a Super Bowl and with 49ers CBs and RBs being once again decimated with injury there comes a point when you need the QB with more upside.

Lol, so basically you know more than Shanahan.

Why don't you go get yourself a coaching job and work your way to the top!

Second time you've thrown out this sort of nonsense over the last few weeks - implying a person can't have an opinion that disagrees with a coach or GM.

Boards is already dying a slow death, it wouldn't exist if people could only provide opinions on fields where they worked. No matter what you believe, coaches and GMs are not infallible deities.

The most laughable thing is that you are a complete hypocrite, you regularly post opinions that disagree with decisions of coaches and GMs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,966 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Have they led in a game yet this season? I'm despairing of any wins this year. Dreadful everywhere.

Yeah that'd be bad coaches. Shanahan is a really good one.

The guy hasn't shown anything in the NFL yet for us to have an opinion as to how he compares to Jimmy G.

Like the season before last he QB'd his way to a Superbowl.

• Advertisement

Shanahan has his flaws, both he and Lynch are very open in interviews that they've made mistakes since they took their jobs with the 49ers.

I know a bedrock of how you rate players is the 'QB winz' stat but that run to the Super Bowl is a prime example of how it is misleading. Jimmy played better in the 2019 season that most gave him credit for but he wouldn't be top of the list of why they got there and Jimmy's limitations and the limitations he puts on Shanahan and the team are part of the reasons why they lost that game.

Advertisement