Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oppenheimer (Christopher Nolan)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Bobby_Bolivia

I hated this.

I felt every second of it's bloated runtime. Everyone saying lines so fast that they may as well have been holding their scripts, while Nolan and Goransson try to manipulate you to feel a certain way through the score at different points of the incessant, boring talking, because all the talking just completely blends together. Nothing that was happening visually prompted the emotions that the score was almost begging you to feel. There are virtually no characters, everybody is just here to get their lines out as quickly as possible so the next person can read their lines. And so on. The majority of these talking scenes have far too many cuts, not one shot was allowed to linger properly, just jumping back and forth and over to this person and that person and now back to somebody else in the space of 15 seconds. It made Bohemian Rhapsody look like Birdman. Absolutely atrocious.

Different actors pop in and out and it's difficult to remember who anybody is - random names and surnames thrown about like confetti but none of those characters are ever developed so it's impossible to even remember who anybody is or why you should care about them. All I remembered were the actors, because we moved from character to character so fast I could never remember who anybody was - they were never explored or explained, I never knew anything about them. Everybody feels completely interchangable. Just, here's Rami Malek, oh look - Casey Affleck. Josh Peck is in this? Here's Kenneth Branagh. The guy who played new Han Solo. It was like a who's who of actors coming in to say their lines and leaving again.

Jean is supposedly a huge part of his life but this is never, ever illustrated well by Nolan, she has no character apart from being a Communist who hates flowers - just a few shots of her tits and time to move on.

There's one scene where Einstein pops out from behind a car at night and it's like he is a Batman villain. It took a lot to not lose myself laughing.

The narrative decision to pivot from one of the biggest events in human history - the dropping of the bomb, into a full hour of whether he keeps his bloody security clearance of not was astounding to me and fell so flat. It was a narrative decision which did not work for me. Moving from world altering stakes to what is essentially a d*ck-measuring contest between two people (as RDJ basically twirls his mustache revealing his dastardly plan) just lost the tiny sliver of narrative momentem they had. Yes I know that it was important as it was deciding the future of nuclear development and research going forward but the movie never made me feel that importance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Finally saw this on Friday. I'm not part of the Nolan cult - it's all been downhill since Memento in my opinion. But I did enjoy Inception.

I thought it was decent, but too long. Felt there was plenty of fat that could have been trimmed.

Also, sound was just too loud. I know this is Nolan's thing, but it just makes no sense to me. I don't mind the explosions being loud - but why was the whole thing so loud? It just got annoying after a bit.

Overall 6/10 from me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I must say, though I disagree with your overall sentiment, that's a wonderfully written take down 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 45 The Helpful Engineer

I watched it last night, I enjoyed it but found it a little disappointing considering all the rave reviews. The sound was extremely poor and for me the final investigation went on too long and was confusingly edited. However the acting was great. I remember watching an old film about making the bomb and Oppenheimer which in my opinion covered the Los Alamos period better. A bit like the Titanic film verses A Night To Remember.

Having said all that, I am glad that Nolan is making his films to give us alternatives to the Marvel/DC rubbish. Also his films faults makes for good discussions with friends on what improvements we would all make.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I agree with everything you say. But I still enjoyed the movie. Maybe it's because I hadn't seen a movie for adults in the cinema for a long time, and I saw it in a cinema with zero distractions. Also, I do think Cillian Murphy keeps the whole show on the road the entire time. I think it'd fall apart without him.

It has done really well, so maybe we will see a switch away from CGI stuff and Disney+ stuff towards better mainstream cinema again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭walkonby

This is the second film adaptation of recent years by a major director where the original book—in this case, American Prometheus—had a much cooler title than the movie (the other being The Irishman\I Heard You Paint Houses).

Enjoyed it a lot. Running time zips by. Though I did find the dialogue mix a bit muddy at times (unless this was a problem with the sound in the screen, IFI1)

I could also have done without the cyanide-laced apple sequence at the start. It was based on a real incident, but it’s very unlikely cyanide, or anything remotely as dangerous, was involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭RickBlaine

I disagree with most of this. Aside from a few quibbles, I enjoyed the film immensely. But I totally agree with you about Einstein suddenly appearing at night. There is something about that moment that is very oddly staged which totally took me out of the film for a second. He may as well have beamed down from the Enterprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭walkonby

They both lived and worked at the same place, so it’s not really any more surprising than arriving home from work and seeing one of your neighbours. But the way it was staged was a bit odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,025 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Finally got around to seeing it, masterpiece.

Best movie I have seen in a log time, Murphy is superb and it's a real return to form for Nolan imo, not that he dropped off massively with Tenet but he definitely dipped.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Just saw this film, I thought it was amazing. Cillian Murphy was so mesmerising. Matt Damon, Ben Affleck were great too, great ensemble cast. I was fine with the dialogue at the end. I bought the book straight afterwards, I have to find out about all the cast of characters. I really hope Cillian Murphy and the film receives an Oscar. Like other posters, I am delighted to see an adult film again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

You might be mistaking Ben Affleck for Gary Oldman, or Emily Blunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

It was his brother Casey Affleck that was in the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭winstonia

Finally seen this on cheap cinema day in a sold out IMAX. I wasn't expecting much for some reason but was pleasantly surprised. One of his better ones. Maybe too much to cram into 3hrs. Performances all great. Thought Casey's little cameo was brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 85,058 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It is officially the highest grossing biopic of all time

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭micks_address

Is there a digital release date for this yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

Enjoyed it but not a masterpiece for me. Probably the loudest film I've ever watched and it was incessant.

Also the only other film I can remember having constant background music in every and I do mean every scene is Color of Money. I'm just struggling to think of what he was trying to achieve here...it was hard to settle as you weren't sure when the next loud bang would happen...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭gipi

I agree regarding the constant music - I saw the film in one of the "hypersense" cinemas (vibrations in the seats and extra loud sound....though not the dialogue, funnily enough!), and the music irritated me by the end of the film.

Looking forward to seeing it again on DVD or the like, with subtitles this time!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,006 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

it was hard to settle as you weren't sure when the next loud bang would happen..

i think that's pretty much one of the significant reasons for the way Nolan uses sounds in his movies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Christopher Nolan has got to the point where one must make peace with the fact the sound design will be ... a choice. Whether or not it's a good choice? Therein lies the "discourse" lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

With eg Dunkirk it worked as the scenes depicted did have all that noise going on, not the "added" stuff here - maybe he's trying to invoke a sense of unease which I can understand but I found it over the top. Also thought they could have omitted 20 mins or so of the courtroom stuff at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I watched it hooked up to TV, with subtitles on.

Overall I enjoyed it. But I saw some good points above about all of the forgettable characters scattered throughout the movie, and when their names popped up again an hour later in the film, I struggled to remember many of them. Ended up googling at that point to see which face went with each character. I will ashamedly admit that there were times where I was struggling exactly what was going on i.e. who were on his side, and who were not - I knew the main thrust of it alright.

I'm certainly glad I had the subtitles. The background music was really loud in some parts. But being able to glace down at the subtitles made the music a positive experience.

I thought it really dragged for a lot of it around the middle. Could easily have been 45 mins shorter without losing anything significant in the story.

Overall, I am glad I watched it, and would recommend anyone to do same. I don't think I would watch it again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Acosta

Thought it was fairly dull

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Would have been a good movie if it wasn't so painfully rushed, grossly edited, and had interesting dialogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Watched it again over the weekend, first time since I saw it in the cinema. I liked it then, but it was way better the second time around when I could hear the dialogue more clearly. Superb film.

+1.

Found this to be tedious in the extreme. Ended up watching an hour a night over 3 nights. It simply didn't hold my attention. Rambling and incoherent would be some of my kinder terms for it. 90 mnutes would have been long enough for it. It's way down the list IMO if you want to compare Nolan's work to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭monkeyactive

I enjoyed Oppenheimer but I can confidently say that I will never watch it again and that is from someone who finds Christopher Nolan's films very re watchable.

I liked when it went at explaining theoretical physics to the layman and had the psychedelic visuals going. I wished they had hung the movie a bit more on that and not went for such an all out dialogue heavy character study. Thought there was so much scope for more spectacle in this instead of a film mainly involving men talking rapidly at each other in rooms for 3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

Oppenheimer – 7/10

Saw this on opening day at a sold-out BFI iMax with James Acaster in attendance. Proper bombs of dread. 

Lots of anticipation for this one and I’ve long been curious as to how it justifies the 3-hour run time. I assumed that running that length would mean that we have multiple set pieces, but it really does just focus on the Trinity test. Hiroshima and Nagasaki happen off screen, and we instead focus on the Manhattan project and ‘court room drama’ that unfolds in the aftermath of the Trinity test.  

This is Christopher Nolan’s JFK, with a healthy dose of The Social Network and a sprinkling of abstract imagery. I would have liked a bit more surrealism, but I guess Nolan would be well aware of what David Lynch achieved in Twin Peaks: The Return episode 8 so he keeps it restrained. It’s more history lesson than blockbuster and I’m sure there are many people out there that expected a completely different film. The marketing made it look like it could be an action-packed race against time but it’s much more academic and dialogue heavy. 

If you’re interested in exploring Robert Oppenheimer’s story in forensic detail, then this is the film for you. Just don’t go expecting an all-encompassing retelling of the ending of the second world war.  

It’s a very well-made film, but it’s intense and a lot to take in. You must be in the right mood. I won’t be in a rush to see it again and I certainly wouldn’t be raving about it and recommending it to everyone. A slog, but an interesting and worthwhile slog. 

It will SWEEP at the Oscars.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Watched this last night after looking forward to it for a long time. Honestly, I can't rate it that highly. Can't quite put my finger on it, but it just didn't strike a chord with me at all. I've no problem settling down to watch a long movie, but this felt like a very long movie.

Can't fault any of the performances, visuals, score etc., but I just didn't enjoy it. It might be one I come back to and appreciate in time, but for now it left me cold and I don't really quite know why.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Saw this tonight. It definitely should have been shorter. All sections of the movie suffered from bloat. The pacing was a bit weird in parts.

The sound design, I don't know what it is about Christopher Nolan but I have a proper Sonos sound setup in my living room and all of his recent movies have had awful sound design, going from insanely loud moments where things explode, to then very quiet dialog. It's like he wants you to watch movies with the remote in your hand constantly turning it up and down from scene to scene. Interstellar was the exact same.

I think if you had no understanding of the Manhattan Project, didn't have any background or recognise any of the characters it might be a bit of a struggle due to how the story is laid out. I think you need to have at least a little bit of background to get the most from this, particularly in the middle section when they start throwing around all the terms like fusion / fission / heavy water / h-bomb etc. If you don't get some of these terms then I think a large part of the plot won't fully sink in, and they don't really explain much in the movie itself.

If you watch this hoping it's a movie on the Manhattan Project you will also be disappointed IMO, it is definitely a biopic on the man himself instead.

I enjoyed it for what it was, I definitely wasn't bored, but I probably wouldn't watch it again either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭Ardent

A measure of a truly great film is its re-watchability. For me, this is a movie I have no intention of ever watching again. I found it bloated and boring in the extreme.

Nolan's movies (Memento aside) are oddly the most over-rated movies of all time.

Advertisement