Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is sex ed so bad?

Options
2»

Comments

I was born early 60s, got basic sex education at convent school from lay teacher who taught it well and afforded discussion. Of course there was no readily available contraception or anything back then, so it didn’t include those practicalities. Both of my parents gave me plenty of information from their perspective rives and did not shy away from the subject, unlike many of their contemporaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,724 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They should teach Sex Ed in Irish, will improve the quality of one and the interest in the other simultaneously!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Not sure what happens these days in secondary school but in primary the children learn the names of the vagina and penis when teacher shows washing a doll (baby) in junior/senior infants while talking about washing, might mention and we lift up penis to clean skin underneath or wash between legs around vagina etc.

3rd class learn about the baby growing during pregnancy.

4th how the body changes, hormones importance of hygiene.

5th class periods/ejaculation and class can write down questions they want to ask. They are split for the answers because there are some questions girls want answered by female teachers and boys by males. The questions are checked by teachers prior to answer session.

In 6th the busy bodies video is shown which is about sex/sexual penetration. Q&A session similar to 5th class. Questions not covered by curriculum / Catholic ethos of school cannot be answered such as "how do I know I am gay" or " I think I am LGTQIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Teach sed Ed in Irish? Good idea , cos 90 per cent of people will instantly forget all they know once they finish the leaving cert. Interesting so as far as the Catholic Church teachs sex Ed gay people do not exist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Started sex ed at 14 back in the 1990s, very comprehensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

The closest I had to it was biology in 3rd year Science when the teacher mentioned about the penis going "stiff and erect". I giggled like a girl when he said that and he asked "ARE YOU AMUUUSED??" me "no sir", him "ARE YOU SUUURE????"in his thick Tipperary accent. He then started talking about " de sperrum" travelling to "de egg" afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Judging by some of the posts, a lot people seem to think sex education amounts to "the penis goes in the vagina". We're not talking about The Meaning of Life sketch where John Cleese brings his wife into school to have sex with her in front of his students.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Maybe if they brought in a modern sex Ed curriculum it might not be used in most schools as it would go against the beliefs of the Catholic Church if gay rights or contraception was part of the curriculum

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Teenagers here what they want to here so even the subject is taught to them they would recreate a narrative to suit whatever situation they end up in and say they were never given the information, now they really believe they were not giving the information it's a protective mechanism when things go wrong, plus values are picked up from parents, parents who are comfortable around sex and sexuality will produce children who are. Male role models are very important.

You would wonder what kind of male role models they had.

• Advertisement

I was lucky I had a mother who made sure I knew what end was up and what went where, by the time I was 12. I think she was pretty rare for her times, in fairness. She started with a book she used to give us to read, and then asked us to come back to her with any questions.

I did same with my own daughter. I really don't understand any parent who would avoid such an important subject and leave it in the hands of schools, to teach?

Advertisement