Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

More Unpronounceable/Obscure Irish Names

Options
1235»

Comments

Different languages sound different. Everybody knows that, even stupid people. If all languages sounded the same they wouldn't be different languages, duh. But despite knowing this, I've lost count of the number of times I've heard people come out with the same stuff about Irish-language names being unpronounceable. They're not unpronounceable; it's just that the people spoofing off don't know how to say them. It really is that simple. The people who do this don't need to be fixed. But it would be good if they could shut up or alternatively if they could say something that was actually amusing, actually interesting, or above all else actually original.

That is it. It is difficult if not impossible to find Irish words that don't follow the expected link between how they look and how they sound. For the non-native speaker, Irish is therefore an easier language if you are trying to get to grips with sounds and pronunciations. Grammar is a whole other ball game, but that's not what this thread is about.

I've recently had the same experience as yours, being told by people from Denmark, Poland and Moldova that I got their names right, but that most Irish people don't even try. With that in mind, it's not exactly difficult to figure out how to say names, whether it's Caoimhe, Violeta, Majbritt or Bláithín.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Advertisement