Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1428 Dolphins Slaughtered in the Faroe Islands Sunday Night

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Good question and I would say that this is my conundrum here. There are some animals that I would care less about than others however I can see the lack of logic in that thought process. If I can have a hierarchy of animals where, for example, I am happy to eat tuna but not dolphin and am happy to eat pig but not dog can I really criticise someone just because they have a different hierarchy? I would consider myself hypocritical for criticising (say) a Korean for eating dog so do I have the moral authority to criticise the Faroese for eating dolphin? I don't think I do if I am completely honest.

Fair points. I think most of us have a bit of hypocrisy when it comes to this subject. Also to add, meat is meat, regardless of the animal it comes from. Regardless how cute or intelligent that animal is. Uncomfortably for some, that includes human. We are animals and have animal flesh just the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

No they are not cows have their throats slit and bleed out to die.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Good post, fair points.

All my posts are in the context of the hunting taking place for food. If this is one of the ways they procure food for themselves, I can understand the motivation behind it, and my points about comparing it with other methods of procuring meat stand.

But, if and when it stretches beyond hunting for food and into hunting just for sport, then I'll readily agree it's utterly horrendous behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Why is it horrendous behaviour though? We do not NEED to kill animals for food but we choose to do it. Someone else choosing to kill them for sport is not morally any better.

Take the male chicks I referred to earlier. Is throwing them into a blender minutes after being born 'horrendous'? I would say yes but still support the industry by buying eggs. Am I any better than the Faroese killing dolphins for the craic?

Post edited by Pawwed Rig on

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

After they have had a bolt shot through thier brain rendering them dead/unconscious.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Note this part

"as it is muslims doing it."

But no mention of Jewish people doing it for kosher beliefs 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Finding other socially accepted behavior that you consider to be equally as horrendous isn't an excuse for this. If you think the effects of buying eggs makes you just as guilty you'll probably find people who agree with you. But it doesn't make the killing of those dolphins any better and it doesn't excuse it.

• Advertisement

There are no jews working in Ballyhaunis which is why I said muslims.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

did the muslims draw the short straw there!🙂

Ah this old chestnut if you don't care about everything equally you can't care about something at all, or else you will have some know if all to call you out on it.

Yes it'd be so. Much better if no one gave a **** about anything instead of having some views which aren't 100% balanced.

Bring on this sociopathic euthopia.

I find Iceland, Norway and Japan's positions on whaling absolutely reprehensible too. This "scientific whaling" b/s is utterly ridiculous and they should know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,804 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

A lot fewer dolphins last year, only 542 humpback whales instead. The relevant Danish minister fully supports all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭husq

In my opinion, people don't need blubber too much any more, not too many oil lamps left either, tradition is one thing but mass slaughter for the sake of it is so wrong, and I doubt if their kids even eat the kill...no need anymore,buy Donegal Catch

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bewareofthedog

Feel bad for the dolphins and the panic they must have went through, very intelligent animals. You'd have to be one heartless fecker to carry out such an act.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

We kill plenty of intelligent pigs for the traditional Irish breakfast.

I have the moral dilemma myself. I am an animal lover, I try to afford all creatures as much respect as I can no matter how cute or otherwise I find them. I eat meat, and am ambivalent as to whether or not I should be doing it. Sometimes I just love the taste and texture of meat. But I want to know the conditions in which they are raised. I am choosy about my products and always try to source ethically. Eg, I would never buy non-free-range eggs, would rather do without.

All said, I draw the line where the Faeroe Islands practices are in 2021. It is unnecessary on all counts for modern living “westerners”, as they are, to maintain these traditions. And don’t get me going on Spanish bullfights.

All said, I draw the line where the Faeroe Islands practices are in 2021.

I agree they do not need to be doing this in 2021, yes back in the olden days they done it for a source of food but today and for many years they have supermarkets like us. They say it's tradition but they are mostly doing it for fun.

• Advertisement

It’s recreational for them as much as anything. Hoards of locals come out to spectate from infancy to old age. It unites community. Bit like the GAA in Ireland, a big thing and I understand how difficult it might be to change the culture. I was in the Faeroe Islands, it’s a small, isolated place with the great climate challenge that the North Atlantic presents. There is not a hell of a lot to do there and it is expensive to get off the islands. There’s fish galore, plenty of sheep, traditional grass roofs, very limited nightlife, limited ground transport aside from a reasonable boat network, almost no trees, few hotels, a handful of football pitches. No locals spoke English when I visited, and communication was done through Danish immigrants & hand signals. There were no phrase books when I got there, but I did get to correctly pronounce place names. Føroyar, the Farroese for the islands, is pronounced exactly like “furrier” in English. Tvørori is pronounced “tvur- ri”, some very short vowels so pronunciation is clipped in places.

Apart from unpleasant forms of wildlife watching, fishing, football etc, locals have relied very largely on watching tv/videos for evening entertainment in the way Irish people (used to) spend a lot of time in the pub. They have become very familiar with outside culture, and obviously with the dawn of the internet since I visited, they would be online an awful lot, especially in winter. Likely their command of English has improved a lot, but still would rely on a lot of Danish language sites as that is their second language. In other words they might be open to change their minds over the next decades as to the acceptability of their culture as long as they can see it through the eyes of outsiders and don’t get to feel over-defensive.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Advertisement