Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1428 Dolphins Slaughtered in the Faroe Islands Sunday Night

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Simply put the food chain permits it in the case of other animals. If all the whales/dolphins had been bred and killed for the purpose of the food supply then it would be tolerable.

I'm neither vegan nor vegetarian, but I can see the role killing one creature to feed the next plays in the fabric of life. That doesn't it is defacto acceptable to kill needlessly and barbarically.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

So we cant eat meat, can't eat fish.... How about those poor veggies yanked from their habitat and thrown into boiling water. Who says it's right killing them?

The science says they are intelligent and able to communicate with each other.

The Faeroe Islands are as much a part of modern Europe as Ireland , so quite familiar with “western thinking”. They’ had more VHS video rental shops back in the early 80s per capita than Ireland did, so have long been used to seeing Hollywood on the box and keeping in touch with the modern world, and especially via their links with mother country Denmark. So there’s no westerners here whinging about some primitive society largely unlinked with the outside world.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Fish are caught all the time for consumption that were not bred or farmed. Is this event any worse?

Also is hunting therefore also not tolerable?

Your definition seems fairly arbitrary tbh. We could easily survive without animals in our diet and indeed David Attenborough in a recent documentary stated that this might become a necessity in the future.

Why is one animals life worth more than another in your opinion?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The science does not say that and it is a ridiculous argument.

If you cannot see the difference between a dolphin screaming while it is hacked to death and a carrot being pulled out of the ground then I don't know what to tell you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Weird thing for me is the Faroe Islands always just seemed like such a quaint and unassuming place, nothing more than the whipping boys in the football qualifiers.

Yes it is worse in my view for reasons already stated.

I have similar issue with the practice of hunting. I can tolerate it for those who do butcher, process and consume their kill (or give it to someone to do so) but am completely against trophy hunting and root for the animal in scenarios where people sit in nests with camouflaged, night vision equipment and high powered rifles.

We could survive without a lot of things but as a species we have evolved to be as we are and meat was a big better in getting us to this point. Yes, we may have to change in future as a consequence of our excessive production and growing population but that doesn't mean the premise is fundamentally false.

You could also argue no animals life is worth anything more than the value we have assigned to it. Do all peta supporters allow rodents/insects to scurry across their floor without interruption? Do they not drive cars because they will likely kill bugs when doing so?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

In this day and age I consider killing animals for sport just plain wrong. Whether that be bull fighting in Spain, hunting foxes, or this particularly barbaric incident in the Faroe Islands.

Killing animals for food is a totally different thing and even then it should be as humane as possible. I'm a meat eater but animal welfare is important.

You're clearly just trolling now. I wonder does the ignore list work on the new site...

Edit: Seems it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

There is a fungal and bacterial way network between plants by which information and nutrients are passed as needed.

You need to read up on soil health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,901 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Fishing is done for the purposes of food. This mass slaughter is not. Any pretense that the Faroe Islands don't have adequate access to sufficient food supplies they need to slaughter dolphins at scale because they prevent them catching enough fish is risible. There is a huge disparity between the sentience in dolphins and it's complete absence in fish.

If this practice is morally OK, then so is ethnic cleansing of humans by other humans. Slaughtering 1500 dolphins is not the same as dusting crops to eradicate insects.

Perhaps the Danes should revive another old tradition of their glorious past, and send their navy to Ireland to kill lots of men, enslave and rape the remaining women and children and then sell them off in the middle East. Should be a good little earner.

You are now equating human life with animal life which opens up a larger moral question. How can you justify killing ANY animal or consuming ANY animal in that case? We do not NEED to eat animals to survive but as you have stated a moral equivalence here then are you consistent in your moral stance?

I am entirely consistent; I don't kill and consume animals that I believe to be sentient and I certainly don't kill them because I have a tradition of doing it for fun or out of some baseless belief they are a threat to my having an adequate food source. The Egyptians employing cats to control mice I am perfectly OK with - the Japanese sacking and rape of Nanking; not so much. This incident is morally closer to the latter than the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

Doesn't the trophy hunting bring in a lot of money for the conservation efforts in countries where it's done, and the rangers pick out the animals? Not that I don't have a visceral disgust reaction to someone picking off a weaker/older/surplus animal and then being very proud of themselves, but I'm sure I heard/read that somewhere.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

Which is fine. If you don't eat meat or avail of any animal products then I would agree that you are consistent. The issue that I am trying to determine here is why people think killing dolphins is abhorrent but are quite happy to support industries that needlessly kill other animals. We live in a world where no animals need to be killed.

Personally I would find the incident with the Dolphins pretty disgusting but I had eggs this morning so I am supporting an absolutely brutal industry that grinds up live baby (male) chicks in what is essentially a blender moments after they are born and female chicks/hens that live horrendous lives.

Equally I had fish and chips the other day which involved a fish being dragged out of its habitat and suffocating in an agonising way before death on the deck of a ship.

So while I am disgusted by what happens in Faroe I cannot begin to condemn it based on my own behaviour as to do so would be absolutely hypocritical. So I am interested to know how others can justify their own actions (Vegans like yourself excluded) while condemning the actions of the Faroese.

I eat meat and have no moral issue with anyone doing so. Slaughtering animals for the sake of tradition and not for consumption is a totally different issue. You ate the fish, which is not sentient. These dolphins were not slaghtered to be eaten. This was done for fun under the guise of tradition. It's a completely atavistic barbarity and is not morally equateable or equivalent to eating fish and chips.

You don't see a problem with this incident; I pity your moral disability. Perhaps the government has an appropriate benefit you could apply for.

Post edited by cnocbui on

Why do you think fish are not sentient? Of course they are. As are cows, sheep, chickens, pigs etc.

I do see an issue with killing the dolphins as I have said above but cannot see how you can condemn needless killing of animals on one hand and have 'no moral issue' with needless killing of animals on the other hand.

The govt benefit barb was a bit inappropriate in a civil discussion No?

As a “new” poster (I am a well established Boardsie!) I’m not allowed to yet post links but the Twitter handle of the Faeroe Islands government is @Tinganes (a name that comes from Norse for parliament/government). Worth taking a look at their responses.

We will be looking closely at the dolphin hunts, and what part they should play in Faroese society. The government has decided to start an evaluation of the regulations on the catching of Atlantic white-sided dolphins.

Prime Minister Bárður á Steig Nielsen

quoted from

Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

"If all the whales/dolphins had been bred and killed for the purpose of the food supply then it would be tolerable."

Why would that make it any more tolerable? I don't see the argument there.

The wild salmon that lived its life in freedom had a much better quality of life than its farmed counterpart, until they suffered the same death and ended up on somebody's plate. What makes the killing and eating of a chicken bred for slaughter, and with a horrific quality of life from its first day to last day, more tolerable than the killing and eating of a wild chicken?

I'll agree with the idea that it's a needless and barbaric act, but I think those adjectives can be used to describe all meat production. I find it hard to identify how we produce our chicken and pork is really any less inhumane, and I think the arguments made as to how they are different don't really stand up to much scrutiny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,894 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

How do you know they dont eat them?

Just kill them and leave them there? Really?

I was in a class with some students in Japan many years ago, and was having a discussion similar to this. I remember them being horrified to hear that we ate rabbits over here, and when I asked why that was any different to chicken or fish or any other animal, a girl of about 14 said 'But rabbits are cute."

I actually think that's very close to the truth on this issue. It's not really that some practices are really so much more barbaric or needless than others, it's just that we value some animals more highly than others, and cuteness or elegance has a lot to do with it.

It's certainly not the case that chickens don't have horrible lives before they die...it's just that we don't care about chickens that much, so their suffering is ok really.

When I went to China my mother made me promise 2 things. Dont hire a moped, and don't eat dog. I didn't really fancy Canine Chow Mein anyway, but learnt the symbol for dog just in case I saw it on a menu. After trying to cross the street on my first day there, I swiftly went off the moped idea too.

Because doing something for the purpose of obtaining sustenance in order to survive is different.

We tolerate the practice of canines killing rabbits in the wild, it doesn't mean we'd let a pet dog attack a pet rabbit in the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

“I actually think that's very close to the truth on this issue. It's not really that some practices are really so much more barbaric or needless than others, it's just that we value some animals more highly than others, and cuteness or elegance has a lot to do with it.”

I agree to a certain extent but for me the pointlessness of it is the main issue. I wouldn’t like to see someone just stomp on 1400 bees just for the sake of it for example.

"Faroe Islands killed so many dolphins ‘they had to destroy their blubber"

They sure don't export dolphin meat to the EU and I doubt they eat 1,400 dolphins worth locally. They do have form for environmentally unsound practices. They were recently sanctioned by the EU for ditching fishing quotas for herring and mackrell.

"The European Commission adopted a package of trade sanctions against the Faroe Islands on Tuesday in a row over herring fisheries it says are being massively over-exploited.

"The EU is determined to use all the tools at its disposal to protect the long-term sustainability of stocks," said the EU's Fisheries Commissioner Maria Damanaki." https://phys.org/news/2013-08-eu-sanctions-faroes-herring-spat.html

They sure don't need to kill dolphins to survive, they are doing deals to sell their huge catch of edible fish to Russia.

Hopefully the Danish government will withdraw the protection of it's navy or instigate some other sanctions to get these enviro-terrorists into line.

Maybe it has been missed along the way, but the meat was distributed to the locals for consumption.

It can certainly be argued that modern transport and refrigeration capabilities mean the hunting and consumption of this particular animal is no longer necessary for survival, but again, what makes this animal different, or more worthy of being spared, than salmon or chicken or whatever.

Would it be better if they stopped this dolphin/whale hunting and replaced it with intensive fish farming or chicken farming?

Or would it be better if they had just captured these dolphins but instead of killing them, had penned them into some fjord and bred them in captivity for consumption?

Post edited by osarusan on

Why is one animals life worth more than another in your opinion?

What is your own answer to your question? Or do you consider all animal life equal?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

5000 locals, 1428 Dolphins, way too much for the locals (as was mentioned in the article). Even if every single resident would eat Dolphin meat, that amount would be too much to have.

Yesterday they were still trying to give it away to other communites so that the meat wouldn't go to waste, and were finding it difficult. Also mentioned in the article was that even people heavily in favour of tradition, and people in favour of the Dolphon hunts or Grinds, spoke out condemning this one. It was deemed by many who are used to this sort of thing, as far too excessive, brutal and unnecessary, among other things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I mean breakfast rolls and ham sandwiches are our national dishes here in Ireland, maybe look into how pigs are reared in this country if you actually care about how animals are treated.

Advertisement