Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks Again!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I have a pretty large collection of CDs... i have nothing from either of these two as i think they are showmen.... i must be completely out of touch....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭leath_dub

I'd imagine they're not prepared to take on the cost of setting up a separate rig in Pairc Ui Chaoimh and all the logistical headaches that might bring. The oject of the exercise is to gouge as much dosh out of the punters as possible, while cutting back on their own costs as much as they can

• Registered Users Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭leath_dub

There are very few acts that could fill Croke Park for 1 night, let lone multiple nights. U2 obviously, possibly Springsteen, AC/DC perhaps but not a huge amount of artists are at that level. The likes of Brooks have a large coterie of mega-fans, who would pull out all the stops to go to as many , if not all, of the available gigs. Musically, he's fairly mediocre and he'd go down a storm in Vegas but I don't see why Croke Park and Aitken are going out on such a limb to feed his ego

I get a sense that everyone with a say outside Brook's fans are being treated like bored children.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Yesterday RTE''s Flagship news program had Britney Spears as their lead story, not to be out done, Garth Brooks was the Lead story this morning 🙄

Mother of God, has the plot been lost all together with all the Real news being reduced to asides on Radio and TV news media. The cringe fest that is Virgin Media news coverage of this nonsense continues also.

The greedy F****** has numerous other venues to choose from if he and his management company are so determined to run 5 concerts, they are like petulant children trying to make a point after the last debacle.

The "what's in it for us" phase has also commenced, galling and vulgar that it is.

Grow up is what I say , the whole affair is tiresome and I'm sick hearing about it.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement

What this is really about is gaa revenue... nothing else.... They got a ton of money from the Government to build Croke Park... the agreement was 3 concerts a year max.. They should not be allowed break this contract and i am sure if this goes to court they will lose... They are trying to set a precident going forward as the same appetite for gaelic games does not appear for gaelic games as when Croke built in the wrong place for me....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,060 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

The usual auld waffle from the usual sources.

The GAA what ever is your attitude to them , are to be lauded for their attitude to Croke Park.

The thought ahead, they didn’t need to revamp Croke Park when they did, it was adequate.

However led by Peter Quinn, brother of Sean, they moved and produced a stadium the the nation can be proud of.

Ahead of its time , and worthy of its state investment.

Contrast that with the shambles the FAI produced and the corrupt operations which led to disaster.

So dude, wake up and smell the roses and leave your curmudgeonly attitude at the door.

Thanking you.

I know what i am talking about and expect i was in Croke Park as often as you. Its in the wrong place and the only people who can fill it rock/country players.

Typical of the thinking within the organization... The gaa were going very well for about 10 but made alot of bad decisions in regard to funding and have now to rely on outside revenue to stay viable....

The gaa was in its element in the days you mention but that was the distant past...

Best wishes...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,813 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Croke Park Stadium is a business in and of itself, a commercial entity with its own board. They would sell events 365 days if regulations allowed and that is their job. And so it is up to others to be the vigilance around that commercial imperative, the City Council and the residents associations.

Aikens, despite left looking like morons after 2014, will still push as far as they possibly can toi, so again it falls to others to strike the balance.

Croke Park should sit down with the City planners and be told what their outline approval would be and then work from there. Personally I think the residents would be foolish to concede this exception because it will be used against them forevermore. They should draw the line at 2 x Ed Sheeran in April and 2 x Garth Brooks in September, on consecutive Friday and Saturday nights only. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,774 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

2014 the original announcement was for only 2 Garth Brooks gigs and a third added on quickly (these 3 were actually approved by the DCC). Didn't the other 2 get announced a week or 2 later

No doubt ticket for the 2022 gigs if they happen will be out in time for Xmas. Ticketmaster will have a field day with there new platinum ticket service

• Advertisement

Beg to differ, a chara.

Almost every large stadium in the world, needs non core business to fund its maintenance .

Almost all hold concerts and events outside their noncore business.

The exceptions would be stadia bankrolled by billionaires.

You might remember we had a collapse of the economy and a worldwide pandemic since about 2007.

The GAA as an amateur organisation did damn well to weather the storm, unlike other sporting organisations who hit the headlines for all the wrong reasons.

Best wishes…..😶

For me who was involved in gaa for years but have stepped back a bit recently as just a few teams have dominated both codes in recent years...

The gaa is the dominent sporting organization in this country and they tell us about their core values are about family and community. This is the first line on their web-page.

Community is at the heart of our Association. Everything we do helps to enrich the communities we serve...

This same community organization are trying to use public opinion to breat the agreement that was made when this development was agreed to be built... i do not care personally if the concerts go ahead or not but i would not trust an organizarion with double-standards...

You are looking at the GAA with a very jaundiced eye

There is a lot more to the Association than Croke Park.

Every weekend there are tens of thousands of boys and girls playing their games looked after by volunteers.

Every county has a serviceable stadium and every parish a venue suitable for their needs.

Beats me how some folk can be so seemingly bitter when these kind of facts are put before them.

Is it jealousy or something.

Why would anyone be jelous if an organization with double-standards...

Every thing i said in my comments are true and you know it...

This thread is about an event in Croke park... if you want to talk of something different create a thread and if i have a comment i will contribute...

My point is, Páirc an Crócaigh Teoranta (Croke Park Ltd), is a holding company whose articles of incorporation oblige its officers to run, develop, economically exploit, protect and maintain the Stadium and its campus.

Its only shareholder is the GAA, but shareholders aren't consulted on the operational decisions of any company. The point being, the community values of the GAA, do not directly and entirely translate to the executive oversight of the stadium and it wouldn't be a normal corporate entity if they did.

Have the gaa not a duty to make operational company the relevent planing documents and whatever agreement reached at the time with any local party who were consulted... i would expect it woiuld be legally necessary to do this... insurance etc....

I wonder who has the final call on this... it be interesting to see if the plan works...

The residents have some Unanswered Prayers or only have Friends In Low Places.

There was never any contract as to the number of non-sporting events that would be held, you could barely call it a gentleman's agreement.

The arbiter is the planning authority, ie Dublin City Council who must grant event licences consistent with proper planning and amenity, which really means anything they want it to mean, but in fairness to Owen Keegan and co., they have stuck quite closely to the number of events per year contained in the "understanding" between Croke Park and the local community.

I have no reason to expect that they won't do otherwise now and thats why I think Aikens and Croke Park are in fantasy land if they think they'll get 2+3+2 concerts in 2022.

Any authourity that works on the basis of understanding.... it seems they created the problem... An understanding just means TROUBLE....

• Advertisement

Says the poster who initiated the the shade on the GAA in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

A few teams have dominated recently ?

I feel sorry for whatever area of the GAA you were involved in because they clearly were dealing with a man who knows nothing about the history of the organisation. Just read the roll of honour and try tell me that a few teams didn't always dominate.

Kilkenny, Cork, Tipp all 30+ titles next best is Limerick on 10

Dublin, Kerry 30+ titles next best Galway on 9.

I call BS on any notion that you are or were a GAA fan ever. Your language is that of a typical anti GAA barstool WUM and you only ever mention the GAA to belittle it or insinuate money grabbing

That’s the impression I got too.

Let’s get back on topic maybe.

The running of the gaa is pretty much the same as Charities where the heads get well paid and people all around the country give of their time for free. An ameutuer organization where the heads get paid executive salaries... Before Covid the turnover was about 80 million a year.7

It has yes mentality and any critism whether justified or not is banished as you see by two previous posters... They have to be admired the way they can gather community funding tyo develop community gaa pitches Aand general funding... i know loads of areas around the country where gaa only sport for children... now thats not gaa fault its Government...

It looks like the locals are going to be looked after and concerts go ahead.... i was not the onr who went off topic it was one of the two previous posters but i hav e the right to reply....

What has that post got to do with the return of Garth Brooks?

I have to ask, What planet are you on?

An organisation with a turnover of 80 million has to be run by well paid professionals.

There is a very tight group of those in the GAA and they have done a great job.

To compare them to a bunch of fly-by-night chancers who drove charities into the ground is not on.

The GAA have to sweat their asset, stadia all over the world do it.

I will leave it at that S this thread is drifting off topic, but that kind of rubbish has to be rebutted.

I was not tjhe person who drifted off-topic but i do know the gaa have two organizarions,,, they have the amutuer organization who do great work. The heads always portray themselves as a community organization when it suits.

The gaa is amutuer when it suits... when Garth comes to town they forget the ethos that is on the website... The fact that i read today that a politician said the locals were being looked after tell me that there is something off about this whole thing...

I do not mind if they is a concert every week but i am not blind to whats happening...

What is ‘off’ about it?

How many days in the GAA sporting year is the stadium full.

I would suggest around 6 or 7…. Out of 365!!!!

Given that it takes around 35k attendance to break even, it’s not rocket science to see that that won’t cover costs.

Therefore other events have to be brought in to defray costs and make the stadium viable.

Very easy to throw out generalities without any informed information of the real management issues.

You are making my point for me... Croke Park is too big for the gaa as at best they will only fill 2 days a year for gaa events.... the others you mention must be the 5 concerts we are talking about here...

Whats off about it... this article is today... i thought the day of looking after people in Drumcondra were gone... seems not... there is an agreement in place... fudge fudge... maybe?

The country music superstar has been granted a licence for three gigs at GAA headquarters next year but the singer has applied for an extra two shows.?

So the country music star is applying for the added dates... he must think we are awful eejits if he has to personally apply for permission to perform in Ireland... I would have thought that Aiken's job...

What's general about that... its what i see...

https://www.thejournal.ie/garth-brooks-residents-meeting-5563033-Oct2021

Post edited by maestroamado on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,774 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Advertisement