Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,285 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Well unless Gallagher just joined the internet this week he must have had an idea of the reaction he was going to get, everyone knows McGregor will say anything when someone tries to get under his skin with a comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

McGregor doesn’t need to have such a thin skin. Best case scenario is that he has another 10-20 years of being a has-been left, there’s no need for him to spend his last years of this Earth making enemies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

• Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Don't act like a smack head at the Christmas party and definitely don't live feed it to 9 million followers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Speaking out about depression is not especially brave anymore, if anything it’s become trendy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I'm ashamed to know he's from this island

Wish he'd f off somewhere else and disappear (like all his illegitimate children)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Absolute lowlife is McGregor. Just wonder how he ended up walking like he's been taken up the ar*e........just wondering,

• Registered Users Posts: 54,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

obviously quite tongue-in-cheek but it does beg the question - if it had to happen to somebody - would there be a more deserving candidate amongst the "celebrity" Irish population?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

It’s absolutely impossible to criticise any one “celebrity” individual for bringing up depression or suicidal thoughts in pre-book launch or TV chat show discussion - without being accused of all sorts- but I do believe scientists should look into the theory of “celebrity” and the incredible explosion, Is the only word for it, of incidents of “depression” and “suicide thoughts” in “celebrities”- especially those “celebrities” who’s career is:

a. On the wane after recent popularity

b. On the up for the first time but is ranked as a minor “celebrity”

c. Needs a re-boot after an established but waning career

It’s a phenomenon that I haven’t seen credibly explained to date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Absolute contrived insincere bull the vast majority of it. All borne out of a seeking of limelight

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

@[Deleted User] threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

There’s nothing insincere about being honest about your health problems.

There’s still a vocal minority of angry middle-aged men (it’s always men) who turn their noses at people admitting that they struggle with their mental health. Thankfully attitudes are changing. All this stuff about “deyre only saying it to further dere own careers” is lazy, cynical bollocks from the kind of people who pride themselves on moral cowardice.

PJ Gallagher shouldn’t feel like he has to hide his health problems from anyone, nor should he “know better” than to engage with a bullying scumbag like McGregor.

PJ hasn’t done anything wrong here and the people who are saying that it’s alright for McGregor to attack him like this because it’s just what McGregor is like are just spineless lickspittles to a bully themselves.

PJ has no obligation to shrink before an assault from a bully. Fair play to PJ, and Paul McGrath. I hope Michael D somehow strips McGregor of his passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭Motivator

I’d highly doubt he’d get any votes. I’m not sure any of his crowd are able to spell let alone be on the register to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

You forgot to add in the adjective white when explaining how “ it’s always men “

just helping out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I met PJ Gallagher years ago and he is a lovely bloke, very genuine. I was not surprised to see him come out re mental health issues, suppose it is always the funny guy putting on a front. He came across like that in person, unsure of himself. He is that way because of his background, not sure why people cant see that. It is disappointing to see people sneering at mental health issues or those who disclose them. I do get that it can be a get out of jail card - but I dont believe PJ is one of them.

As regards Conor, Paul McGrath's responses totally disarmed Conor McGregor and left him with no where to go. I'd say hit a nerve with him.

In his own quiet way, I'd say Paul McGrath's words hit Conor more than the weird prawn rant would have hit PJ.

Conor you need to find GOD and when you do knock on my door I will have the kettle on for ya… my good friend

Not really about finding GOD, but finding himself and the door will be open with a cuppa ready. And I'd say the door would be open. And Conor knows that. He can respond to aggression or attacks (he deemed PJ attacked his Irishness) but he cant deal with genuine kindness.

Conor did respond you came at me first, Im being bullied here, f you and your kettle and your gaf 🤣 but I'd say that got to him. I'd say Conor is fragile enough in his own way, to be fair when you are a global superstar (like him or not he is) there will be a touch of the Brittany's about him (you want a piece of me) and that constant putting on an act/people getting to him must take a toll. He took the "you can keep him" jibe as a personal dig at his patriotism (in his mind) and came out fighting, the only way he knows - ie both barrells.

He could have contacted PJ privately and said I really did not appreciate that dig, no need for it and that would have got a better result as PJ would have had to be embarassed because lets be fair, there was no need for it.

In many years to come, we are likely to see Conor doing the trek of talk shows/books etc to say that he was suffering mental health issues / addiction issues for years and that he is sorry for his behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,529 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

World cup final day Conor would have been flat out drinking & on the devils dandruff,

Not sure why anyone is surprised by his antics on twitter,

The fella gets punched in the head for a living, drinks large amounts of whiskey & does drugs, his mind is certainly not in the best shape ,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

PJ opened himself up to it but McGregor's reaction was nasty,real personal. I don't understand if I had his money and fame I wouldn't give a **** what PJ gallagher tweets about me.

McGregor is finished, he's one loss off retirement. He's desperate to stay relevant in the headlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Didn't McGregor tweet something last week from the yacht that implied he was about to bang someone. I presume it wasn't his missus as she was at home posting pictures with the kids.

He seemed well erratic on his crusade against PJ Gallagher. Evidently something is getting under his skin. I genuinely believe he'll ruin himself eventually with all his money. Don't think he is the type that will be able to accept finishing MMA quitely.

• Advertisement

This was an extreme case though and he did a public service by going public , I certainly learned more from it . Pj is a decent lad. He walked into this one though

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

How's Tony keeping? Still with those rent boys?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Same opinion here.

Surprised he took the bate from a silly comment from a small fish like PJ, just goes to show how desperate Conor is try and grab headlines any chance he gets.

The scumbag side of him will always remain despite his millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,285 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

You are making it sound like Gallagher is totally innocent in all this, as I said before he knew full well he was going to piss McGregor off with that tweet.

Its doubtful McGregor even knew who he was before all this, Gallagher has form trying to wind people up but this time he just happened to do it to the wrong guy.

Useless comedian as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

McGregor is juiced to the tits these days. Check out his training clips on youtube. He looks like he's been on the roids. Say he's drinking testosterone for breakfast. No surprise he's become a more poisonous version of himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,069 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The fella gets punched in the head for a living, drinks large amounts of whiskey & does drugs,

Living the dream

• Registered Users Posts: 19,069 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

He would need to be nominated first.

That's either 20 members of the Oireachtas or 4 county councils

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Funny to think Gallagher's comment was probably winding McGregor up for a few days before he responded, over a week between the original comment and the reaction and I'd say McGregor's Twitter feed moves pretty fast.

I think between his reaction to this, talk of running for president and all his talk of "I am Ireland" the fact that most people in the country can't stand him is getting under his skin.

Interesting to see most of his tweets now are lucky to get more that a couple of thousand likes, I'm sure when I used to follow him on Twitter a while back he used to consistently get 60/70k. Seems his 15 mins of Fame is coming to an end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭hawley

There's an article about their interaction on the Independent.ie. Author calls McGregor a bully, then cheerleads how everyone piled in on CM and called him a scumbag and worthless human being. Don't know if she can see the hypocrisy in that.

Advertisement