Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

That's terribly sad. We didn't always see eye to eye but she was an intelligent and interesting poster. May she RIP.

Ah god, I'm so sorry to hear this.

I had been wondering about her lately, I remember her posting under an old username few years ago.

too young. Rip

• Registered Users Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I echo everything that has been said about her here. An admirable young lady, taken much too soon.

Sincere condolences to all her loved ones and hopefully she is at peace now.

To thine own self be true

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I'm so sorry to hear this. I knew her diagnosis was terminal but somehow I hoped, in the back of my mind, that she would get a lot more time. A very intelligent, articulate poster.

A truly terrible loss to her family and friends. May she rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,840 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Funny , witty , stood her ground in heated debates here , may she RIP .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,870 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Very sorry to hear. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Tork

Thanks for letting us know, even though this is terrible news. I had a horrible feeling I'd be reading this when I saw the title. ODB was one of my favourite boards posters and somehow I just thought she'd be around forever. I think she was Dara before this? I can only echo what everyone else has been saying. She was interesting, articulate, compassionate and fiery (when necessary). I think I would have liked her in real life.

Yeah she was Dara and a few other names over the years. If I have all of them right, she was around here the guts of ten years.

I used to find the ODB moniker funny - it looks like one of those randomly generated three-word names that are used to mask a closed account here. 😊

It fitted with her absurd sense of humour - one of the other great things about her. ❤

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Vita nova

There are certain posters that grab your attention and that you always want to read, ODB was one of them for me. She was articulate and worldly and Boards is a poorer place without her. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Such sad news. She would mention her diagnosis and that it was terminal, but I hadn't realised how near to the end it was. Her posts were so bright, fierce and intelligent, she really stood out any time she posted. Best wishes to her family and friends losing such a wonderful person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Very sorry to hear this. Rip ODB.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Like others, when I saw the title I assumed the worst. I had no idea of her age, so young.

A big loss to the boards community. May she RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

So sad to hear this. She was a fierce lady. Well able to hold her own, and really insightful and funny. I would have had a few interactions with her over the years, and, we wouldn’t always see eye to eye, but, life would be boring otherwise.

I really admired her.

I’d say, wherever she is, she’s arguing a point, and probably winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Sad news, she seemed like a great person

Requiescat in pace, OBD.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

It was a Breaking Bad reference.

I had many, many great convos with her over the years. We bonded over our mutual disdain of a certain former poster who shall remain nameless lest his extremely high net-worth friends take agin me.

I knew her cancer was terminal but like others, thought or perhaps just hoped she'd have more time.

An honest, funny, acerbic poster who never looked for sympathy, despite the (really horrible, in many cases) accusations of attention-seeking that were thrown at her by a small cohort of dickheads.

I'll raise a glass to you tonight, ODB.

Ah... didn't realise it was a BB reference. She loved TV.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭buried

Very sorry to hear about this. Sometimes I didn't always agree with ODB's viewpoints on things but was always interested to hear them. If I saw her name as a latest post on a thread I hadn't been in before I would always go in for a look as it was bound to be interesting, and she would always give the straight honest truth as to how she saw it. Big loss for us and this place, as there is no doubt she will be alright on the other side. Travel well ODB!

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Sorry to hear that she has passed away. And no age at all.

Agreed with her sometimes, disagreed with her other times, but she was straight up and honest and that's the most important thing.

RIP.

Cancer is a cruel and remorseless beast. And it has taken one of the wittiest and unerringly direct posters from us. She possessed a formidable intellect that commanded respect. We sparred the odd time, however more often than not found myself in complete agreement with her views. How her inimitable presence will be missed, rest in peace ODB.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

37 is no age to go, rest in peace ODB. Glad to have read her posts over the years and hope she passed peacefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭Be right back

May ODB/Dara rest in peace. 37 is way too young to go..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

As soon as I saw the thread title my heart sank as last I saw on Twitter she wasn’t doing good. I enjoyed her posts she was articulate, honest and not afraid to speak her mind. 36 is no age to go at all. RIP OBD

She actually closed her ODB account in May - I had forgotten it was that far back, and she opened another account here then, which was active for the last time on 23rd August. She sent her final tweet on 27th August.

Think she was keeping her last Boards account low-key and I think ODB and Dara are probably her best known accounts.

God you'd miss her. I keep seeing funny stuff I know she'd like. 😊 she LOVED The Simpsons and there are constant new Simpsons memes.

A great auld crew of gals here (and lads of course but just speaking as a woman) whom she connected with, and they her. Likeminded. Hilarious and brilliant ladies - I miss Electro Bitch and Candie and Retro:Electro and Medusa and Bitofabind (and others - so sorry for not naming you but you know who you are). I'm delighted to see the rest of ye popping in. I hope after the dust settles with the new format the above will be around again... kinda channelling ODB's spirit with the laughs and the biting sarcasm when necessary and the hyper intelligence and open-mindedness.

As someone else said, if ODB is out there somewhere having a discussion, she's slaying it... 🥲❤

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

RIP to ODB. I enjoyed her posts and her sense of humour. Condolences to her family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Sad to hear to hear this. An incredibly brave and inspiring woman.

AH is a poorer place without her.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I was thinking of her just this morning - I somehow missed this thread until now. I've a friend who's recently been diagnosed with terminal cancer, and the whole subject is weighing heavily on my mind at the moment.

I didn't know her at all, but I had great respect for her as a poster. She was funny, articulate and forthright. My condolences to her loved ones, it's such a cruel disease.

RIP, ODB.

Very sorry to read about your friend, Gregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Ah, that's sad news. I was wondering about her the other day.

Cancer...I just don't even know what to say about it any more. 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

RIP to Dara/ObviouslyDesperateBreakfasts. .

Condolences to her friends, family and to all who will miss her.

it’s just not fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,324 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Rest easy.

37 is no age at all to pass on.

Advertisement