Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Options
  • 12-09-2021 1:51am

Sadly, ODB (a regular and long-term contributor here who was diagnosed with terminal cancer a number of years ago) passed away recently.

She was witty, sharp, intelligent, extremely learned and articulate. I got to know her a tiny bit through private messaging and she was also kind, compassionate and warm. She spoke here about her illness - sometimes angrily, sometimes with dry humour, always honestly and heartbreakingly. I'm glad her suffering is over but it's just sickeningly unfair that she's gone so young (only 37) and that she had to endure that many years of physical and emotional pain and fear. What a waste...

An unimaginably terrible, enormous loss to her family and friends... she will be greatly missed online too, particularly on Twitter where she built up a large community. She was a big part of this community too and I know many of you enjoyed her posts and admired her.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a hanam.

Post edited by HildaOgdenx on

Comments

I don't even know what to say.

I remember the username since I came back to Boards a couple of years ago.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Oh hell, just thought she'd given up on the site.. Rest easy ODB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

I’m really sorry to hear this. I actually looked up ODB account the other day because I noticed she hadn’t posted in awhile. I knew she was sick but I didn’t expect to hear this sad news. Lovely lady gone much too soon. May she Rest In Peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭seenitall

Yes, I thought of her recently as well, especially in view of the Sarah Harding news (the same disease took them).

A decent and intelligent poster, may her memory live on.

I have very strong and negative feelings around cancer; we are well into the 21st century and none of the predictions I kept reading a long time ago, about the advanced cancer treatment eventually transforming it into a mere chronic ailment, ever seem to come to pass. When will this happen?? All the huge money being thrown into it and still nothing. I may begin to get suspicious, I am that frustrated. Too many people are being lost to this awfulness.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Oh no 😔... my heart sank when I saw the thread title. I was also only thinking about her in the past few days, a little concerned that I hadn't seen her posting in a while, and fearing that she might be too ill.

Always enjoyed her posts and the odd PM chats we had, she was interesting, she was opinionated, she was funny, she was fiery, she was brave. Braver than I could ever be.

I'll really miss her. Very sad and sorry to hear this news.

So long ODB 😞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Heartbreaking news. She seemed like a fantastic person. May she rest in peace

• Registered Users Posts: 4,637 ✭✭✭archfi

This is terrible though inevitable news.

Last week or so, I went looking on Twitter to see if she was about as I hadn't seen her post here for a while.

Her last treatment hadn't gone well at all and she had a decision to make.

37 years old, misdiagnosed. That's so sad and avoidable it has really affected me.

She was a great poster, a very strong willed woman and I will miss her contributions to this site.

Condolences to her partner, family and friends. Rest in peace.

She will be missed.

Post edited by archfi on

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

What terrible news. She was a fantastic woman.

I hope she sleeps well and all my love is going out to her close friends and family.

She will be missed.

Xx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Like others I had missed her posting here.

She had taken a step back from posting after getting a torrent of abuse from a poster.

That combined with the new boards format I had hoped she was just taking a breather.

May she rest in peace. Xxx

Yes, the treatment was just debilitating - it's so messed up that someone has to make that kind of a decision. Horrific.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,246 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I like many here had thought of her recently when the news of Sarah Harding at died and noticed she hadn’t posted in a while.

Gone too soon

May she rest in peace xxx

It's very frustrating all right. Such pledges should not be made until it's definite. Too cruel for the patients and loved ones to set hopes so high.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I am so sorry to hear this. I remember she said she had a terminal illness, and though several posters here have made me laugh, she was the only one to make me cry. Rip ODB

• Registered Users Posts: 16,508 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I am so sorry to hear this. ODB faced her illness with grace and bravery that shined through. A witty and opinionated poster who always added to any thread I found her in. No doubt a sad and immense loss to her family and friends. A life cut all too short by illness.

A loss to boards and those of us that knew her here too. I hope that at the very least her loved ones gain some solace in knowing that she is missed by so many who may never have never even met her but were touched by her posts and irreverence here.

May her memory be a blessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Dreadful news, especially at such a young age. Condolences to her family.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Very sorry to hear this very sad news, 37 is tragically young to pass away. 😥

I well remember ODB’s posts about her terminal cancer on here over the past few years, and I just could not believe her sheer courage and optimism in the face of her prospects. Her posts were witty, often very funny, engaging and she certainly was very articulate and sharp in the many online debates she was involved in.

Very saddened by this news. Sincere condolences to her partner, family and friends.

Rest well, ODB 💕🌈

I'm so sad to read this. I had a lot of respect for ODB. She always stood up for what she believed in, she wasn't afraid to put her voice out there regardless of what others might think and she was always friendly and appreciative to me in our PM's. An incredibly brave woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭ghoulfinger

This is very sad news, condolences to family, friends & online friends. I noticed she hadn’t been posting here, and had hoped it was more to do with the new site than her illness. May she rest in peace.

Yeah she was able to post regularly - I remember thinking happily that it seemed like she'd be around a good while more thankfully. Don't know why I thought that - wishful thinking I suppose. She just seemed to have so much drive and vitality - I guess I was naively thinking she was getting the better of the fu*ker, an outlook from me that she would have hated! 😁

Seriously though, she was all about dismantling those albeit well meaning phrases like "battling", "losing the fight" - there's no battling, the patient just has cancer and would do anything not to but they've no choice. The often gruelling treatment is just a means to buy time.

The end was gonna come, and it came quickly after her final decision. A brutal, unforgiving situation. 🙁

• Registered Users Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Gosh I’m so so sorry to hear that. I haven’t been around as much myself since the update so I assumed (hoped) she was doing the same.

A lovely poster and a lovely person from what I knew of her.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a hanam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭ghoulfinger

I think the “battling” is giving as much meaning to an impossible turn of life in a no-choice situation; she did that much with aplomb.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Shít 😢

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I've stickied this thread, RIP ODB.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

RIP, OBD, I will miss our silly giggles, our serious discussions and our 'debates' on here. I admired and respected your honesty, your courage in facing your prognosis head on, your refusal to not be seen solely as the 'one with terminal cancer' and your ability to express your rage at your lot without caring if it made others uncomfortable.

You were so intelligent, so informed, so articulate and funny as fuk. You had so much to give and so much more to get from life. Your family and friends must be distraught. I hope your light shines in, somehow, somewhere....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,426 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Ah no, I always admired her posts. A very intelligent and articulate lady who could stand her ground with ease in any debate.

I hope the end was comfortable, sleep well, OBD.

Oh 😢 What a huge loss, to her husband and family, her friends, all who knew her and the Boards community.

Rest In Peace dear girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Very sad to hear this.

May she RIP and condolences to her family and friends.

She was the best of us.

May she rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

This is really terrible news, Id known about her illness for a few years but just always had that hope upon hope that she could somehow come through it. It feels like a gut punch that someone who was an absolute a ray of light here has been taken from us so young. RIP ODB

• Advertisement

I feel so sad reading this news. I haven't come on to Boards once since the new format, I just found it too confusing and the break away did me good. I literally just logged on here tonight and the first post that caught my eye was Obvious Desperate Breakfasts. I don't know what possessed me to come back here today but I'm glad I did. If I had waited another month this thread might no longer feature on the top pages and I wouldn't have know.

As someone who lost a direct family member to cancer I am truly sorry to hear the news that ODB passed away, she always seemed like such a strong and articulate lady. Deep condolences and strength to her family and friends.

Advertisement