Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

******* Motors Chat Thread *******

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I spent the morning filming a Porsche 911, specifically a 993 Carerra 4. I've driven several older Porsches before and never liked them too much but this......this was different, very different. I bloody loved it.

I'm now off to buy lotto tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

What online parts catalogue are people using?

Looking for a part number on 7zap but the full number is ****ed out. Pain in the ****.

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,696 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Cheers, that’s so much easier than what I was using 👍

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Thick fog yesterday and this morning. The number of inept drivers is amazing. Front DRL or parking lights only, the "be seen" approach is for losers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,358 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Fog lights are only to make the felt spec bora with golf front and john deere mudflaps look good hai

lol

’Rain is a bit heavy, better put on the fogs’

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Would front and rear winter tyres have any advantage at all on FWD car Vs front only?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Definately yes. Imagine difference in grip front vs rear especially on corners/roundabouts/etc. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭zg3409

Yes, however there is a debate as to summer / winter in Ireland versus all weather. Once temperature drops below 5 degrees winter tyres will be better than summer tyres but it's mostly rain we get here and little snow and ice. If you live somewhere with regular snow and ice then maybe, but I usually go for "A" rated rain all season tyres. Either way drive very carefully if you suspect ice and slow down in extreme conditions. The extra grip of winter tyres is no match to safe driving and having lots of thread left on tyres rather than running on barely legal tyres.

• Advertisement

Winter tyres vs 4x4. This is pretty old now but still relevant

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Anyone recommendations for upgraded D3S bulbs? The standard bulbs in the A6 are complete shite, I don't know even if nightbreakers are worth the €200 price tag. Have seen some plug and play led versions

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

lads how do you find out what the ideal psi range is for your tyres? Have a new (used car) and noticed one tyre was slightly deflated so pumped them all to 32psi, However I saw on the tyre wall it said its max psi is 44. Should I go to 40 or how do you find out what is an ideal range to stick between, dont want to be going around with them under inflated and not knowing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,263 ✭✭✭jmreire

If its the MB you are talking about, open the fuel filler cap, and its written on the inside of the flap. BTW how is it going for you?

Thanks jmeire. Sorry Im a bit lost, what does MB refer to? Is that what will be etched inside the fuel cap flap, something like MB=40psi and thats what I should then inflate the tyres to? Is there a way of knowing from the tyres themselves what the ideal range of psi is or do they just give the max psi not to be exceeded? sorry Im a bit dumb in all this

Car is going great but has only been two days. Its just a run around while I build up a proper NCB after 12 years on a motorbike which the insurers wont count for anything.

Sorry, should have been clearer. MB= Mercedes Benz. And no, the Tyres themselves don't show Tyre pressures, just dimensions and ply etc.. Tyre pressures are shown inside the fuel flap and it Its very simple to understand. Shows you what the correct tyre pressure should be depending on load, how many passengers, it will be in KP! or BAR (as it has metric dimensions,) but the tyre pressure gauge should read both, metric and imperial. Either KPI or PSI. Useful internet site for all things concerning tyres:- www,puretyres.co.uk

Ireland, Country of Scams and scammers, especially Insurance. There is something radically wrong when your insurance quote comes in under €600 and you feel relief,,, sure it could be worse!!! Despite more years that I care to think about, especially accident free, and full no-claims discount, I still have to take out another policy protecting my no-claims bonus. My insurance once jumped from €800 to €1200, and all because I had changed the car, and only had one year's experience driving it. This happed a few years ago, when the Insurance "Industry" had gone through a loss making few years due to bad investments, and they needed cash...hard cash and plenty of it. So they turned to their captive "Bank" Irish Motorists. You are right to be raging...I would be too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭zg3409

32 is typically correct. The number on the tyre is not what you should use, this is the safest design maximum pressure the tyre can take but in most cases the correct is much lower. An over inflated tyre gives less grip and will wear unevenly in the middle.

Most cars have is on driver's door frame you can see when door is open. It typically shows a front a rear value when car has little load and a higher value when fully loaded. The pressure indicated is when tyres are cold so add a couple of psi at the garage if tyres are warm as they will cool down and be below cold pressure expected.

The fuel filler cap is where some cars show the value. On modern cars with sensors for pressure in each wheel you can see the psi increase as tyres get warm and see values dropping in freezing weather.

thanks jmeire that explains it well and a handy site too.

Yeah insurance industry is a joke in this country, even though average costs of claims have been going down their policy prices havent. I got 12 quotes in total and 8 of them were 1,000 euro plus. Thats for a 1.2l runaround, its an absolute farce.

No, they have not reduced in line with claims, and that's because some years ago (pre-2015) the " Industry" took a hammering in claims in general, (not necessarily motor). In 2015, they woke up, and then the scramble to cut losses and boost profits for their shareholders began. And it's still continuing. I've travelled abroad a lot, but nowhere have I seen anything like the insurance and legal set-up we have in operation here. Payouts are much less abroad, and so are premiums as a result. Whiplash claim gets you 1- or 2-days salary, and a few physio sessions. Any injury more serious than that, you follow at your own financial risk. They take a very dim view of fraudulent claims, and if a case is found to be fraudulent in any way, even a part of it, there are penalties, and they are enforced.

It's funny how certain cars attract a different type of buyer.

I advertised 2 cars 7 days ago, one a Rover 75 and the other a Merc C180 both at the same reasonable price with almost identical ads and a good amount of NCT, both in ready to drive away condition.

The Rover much to my surprise sold within hours to a really nice guy and the Merc seems to have attracted every type of time waster, export merchant and gobshite known to man.

Is this a Merc thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭User1998

Foreigners, gypsys, car traders, and general time wasters have no interest in Rovers. They would be more attracted to Mercedes/BMW/Audi/VW

What I don't get is the fact the Rover sold and the Merc didn't. It just seems to be attracting skin flints of various types but the Rover instantly drew attention from real genuine buyers

• Registered Users Posts: 51,112 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Your typical person looking at a Rover 75 usually is interested in buying one. The messers have no interest in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭newmember2

Buying and Selling forum - last post 3 days ago?? Is this a sign of the times or has the forum gone down the pan?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,696 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Boards went down the pan last year

• Registered Users Posts: 51,112 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

boards.ie traffic has been in decline since the upgrade and the motors forum is no different. Plus alot of people simply are not buying at current inflated prices unless they really have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭newmember2

Ah yeh, I know the site is def not getting the traffic it used to get back in the day, but the buy/sell motoring forum has usually had a lot of activity even since the site change. I'm wondering is there a serious down-turn, although I thought latest reports on black Friday/week/end were that there was no shortage of spending, so I was wondering...although with huge wait times for new, and strong prices for used, and a possible impending recession, maybe that's put things on-hold a bit and even shifted people's priorities.

Mods have agreed to merge all the sub forums except EV and classics back into the main forum. Hopefully more eyeballs in the main forum might drive more interactions in all the threads.

Post edited by hoodie6029 on

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,358 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes it's the site upgrade and the demographic (our kids laugh at the idea of using a forum)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Finiardo

Scenario: driving in right lane of busy two lane city street with slow moving traffic. The left lane is a restricted bus lane at the time of the incident. The right lane is general traffic. Van from local council driving in bus lane "undertakes" private vehicle /car (car is driving in general lane) and in doing so scrapes the bumper of the private vehicle. Private vehicle driver repeatedly beeps at council driver trying to get it to stop. Council driver speeds off (entering bus lane again to avoid traffic) and will not stop. Who is at fault? Any thoughts for car driver?

Advertisement