Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport security waiting times

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

In terminal 1 there are perpetually 5 or 6 idle scanner belts. Check it out - they have never run a full sets

Rant Mode briefly off : DAA are live in front of the Dail Committee. Watch here from 1330 at https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/oireachtas-tv/cr2-live/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭john boye

I'm sure they'll have hoped that this system will deter people from turning up 4/5 hours before departure but I suspect it might actually be the opposite in practice.

Only queues for the bag drop this morning, apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

You can't compare a Wednesday morning to a bank holiday weekend morning, I don't think anyone on here cares all that much about what happens before Friday......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

Flying out on Saturday morning at 8.50 and need to check bags in, desk opens 3 hours prior to flight so 5.50. I'm going to be there at 4am latest as these so-called measures wont work if only a few security lanes will be open

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Are you flying to a destination outside of Europe? Flying to Greece is NOT long haul

Canada, US, Dubai etc thats long haul

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭touts

So basically the DAA's answer to queues inside the Airport is to lock the doors and have people queue up outside the airport until the airport is ready for them.

And it took the DAA 48 hours to come up with this as a solution?

I wouldn't be surprised if next week they propose to start to use snipers on the roof of the airport to cull the excess passenger population.

I swear Dalton Philips is actually trying to get fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Allinall

Sounds like you'll be sitting twiddling your thumbs outside the airport until 6.20, if they implement their triage plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,033 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Finger crossed I am travelling tomorrow at 730...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭touts

Better to be twiddling your thumbs at the head of the new queue to join the old queue when the doors open at 6:20 than arrive at the back of the new queue at 6:15 and have thousands of people ahead of you.

precisely.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

its going to be sh1tshow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

they have to let people in when check-in desks are open .. otherwise is going to be murder

Yeah which is in general around 2.5-3hrs before departure

Ingrid Miley off RTE tweeting this morning about LH bag drop machines not having paper in them and so useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Hopefully it will work similar to how I suggested in the other thread. If you’re too early for your flight you are directed to a lane (holding area) outside based on flight number. Once the queue inside shortens, you will then be moved inside to join it. The outside lane you were in opens again with flight numbers taking off after all the other pens. If you’re even earlier than all them, you wait.

I think they should get festival staff to Nan it though as they’re used to herding large crowds to specific areas.

It’s a common tactic used in other airports to restrict terminal numbers from a security and queue POV, a lot did it during covid as well.

Yes, for sure, but its not crowds in the terminal thats the issue, its a screening bottleneck . Queue management so far has not been an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

If they're claiming delays are caused by staff shortages, where are they going to get the extra staff to manage this new plan for the weekend? I can already envision the sheer carnage!!

The security staff that were supposed to be ready for last Sunday that ended up not being certified & they're bringing in ASU officers from Cork. 10+ lanes open during all peak periods. Along with removing ASU officers from the security gates where you scan your pass. They'll be replaced by staff from other areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

This solution to the queues by adding more queues outside is still going to be challenged by the fact that they are still only operating at 70% pre-covid security staffing levels with 90% pre-covid passenger levels and all additional security checks now due to the failed audit

If I had a early morning flight this weekend I wouldn't trust the DAA and I would arrive before the 2.5 or 3.5 hours to queue in the triage Edit: I just seen they advise an extra hour if you have a bag drop, FFS mental

Dalton Phillips on now on oireachtas TV. Tune in for the BS

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭crisco10

When the announced this, my 1st thought was that their theory that it was all the panicers arriving early's fault will be tested now.

Then I started to think, this might change people's behavior a bit and make the outside queuing area redundant (Which would be great). But now I see the "arrive earlier with bags" quote, it makes the whole thing more likely to be a farce. Be easy to walk up now, claim you're checking in a bag but just go to security instead. Thus the black and white, easy to understand, easy to manage triage system starts to crumble, and we are back to where we started.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭titan18

They already had been drafting in staff from Cork though. Cork need to have staff too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

No matter what plan they came up with a lot of people would be lambasting it. Even if they brought in the army like a lot of people suggested then others would be ridiculing it.

Overall I think it's a step in the right direction and would be surprised if this weekend is carnage like last weekend. All eyes are on the DAA so they'll be pulling out all the stops to make sure things run smoothly.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭alentejo

According to Dalton Phillips at the Oireachtas hearing its 3.5 hours for short haul with luggage requiring drop off!

DAA are capable of fcuking up simple Q management beyond any recognition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

What length of trip or destination is classed as short haul?

Advertisement