Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Airport security waiting times

• 07-09-2021 10:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,516 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Does anybody know what the current situation is with waiting times for security at dublin airport T1? there was chaos at the weekend with long waiting times. I'm flying out on friday afternoon so can I expect similar long waiting times? am I better off paying for the fast track?

Comments

Similar situation for me this weekend, I however am departing before 0600.

Fast track isn't available apparently. Whether that's to use the extra staff or its sold out I don't Know. The DAA let too many staff go and haven't started recruiting yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,534 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm guessing there may have been a run on fast track bookings following the reports lately of chaos and flights missed.

I've booked it for a 6am flight near the end of the month, I'm not taking any chances!!

Annoyed to have missed out on the free offer that was going for a day or so this week 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Get there early. Fast Track (ha!) was anything but with queues in T1 around filling the departures floor.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Flying this week and booked fast track, Mr PC used FT last week and it was fine. If you are Ryanair try add it to your booking (it will show on your boarding card) it might work if the site isn't it means your slot is sold but could get luck with RA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

Anybody want a spare 5am fast track for T1, friday morning.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,516 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

One further question if I may. I've checked in for my flight on Friday and in the section for boarding passes it says the following. I've never seen that before. I've always had my boarding pass on my phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Folks, it may be an option for you; if you are not physically checking in at T1 (carry on only), you can use T2 security and walk across to T1 airside.

It is fairly easy, I’ve done it loads of times. T2 is currently a lot quieter due to EI not operating anything resembling its old schedule. You can even book the fast track at T2.

I’m one of those people who hates queuing and doesn’t mind walking whatsoever (actually enjoy getting the steps up). If you are getting the bus to the airport, they always drop off T2 and then T1. It’s a short walk into the terminal, press the top floor on the lift. Exit the lift and fast track is on your left. No stress of T1.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

came through fast track at 6 about 4 people in front of us took 5 minutes, real security looked very busy and they were filtering people over to the fast track conveyor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Went through security in normal manner this week and it was probably quicker than normal, maybe ten minutes total or less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,534 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Afternoon 4-5 (got there early because of stories from previous week) and Terminal 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Quick question, I'm fully vaccinated, going to airport next Friday. Do I need to get a covid test? If so, can I do this in the airport before my flight? Or do I need to go to my doctor or pharmacy the day before?

Thanks

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Depends on the entry requirements of wherever you are flying too, but probably not.

I'm going to the UK in the morning. So UK and Ireland rules apply. It appears I need nothing but my passport for Ryanair. Common Travel Area. But to come back to Dublin, I need to upload a locator form and maybe show by covid vaccination in the app.

Going to the Netherlands for a few nights.

I guess I'll try and figure out what they do in the Netherlands at the airports there. Enjoy your trip!

Thanks guys :)

Just gone through fast track in T1. About 3 mins at 5.30am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

There was chaos for less than 4 hours on ONE morning due to incorrect information regarding number of passengers expected being relayed.

Wait time was less than 20 mins before 0500 on saturday morning. Amazed to see so many passengers with their sheet together ready to get scanned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Board Walker

I went through Tuesday morning. Security took about 15 minutes and the check in desk for Lufthansa took about 35 minutes with 60-70 in front of me. Lufthansa wont issue a digital boarding pass without seeing the Covid cert or PCR. Luxair on the way home just checked everything at the gate and issued the pass as normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

Went through Wednesday morning - self check in Ryanair and then through security in less than 5 minutes. This was at 9am to UK - nothing checked either side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

T2 fasttrack now opens at 5am 7 days, was previously 6am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I wonder will they remove the €5 early morning tax that they have applied since their security queues could not be maintained?

I never minded paying €7.99 in the morning and with a coffee thrown in, it was worth it to clear straight through. Now it is €5 more expensive, quite blocked up because so many are doing the same because they know the security can be the best part of 30 minutes of shuffling along. And then there is no incentive to book early to get a cheaper rate. They must be making a pretty penny getting an additional €13 off so many passengers, by under performing at the main area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭trellheim

You have to keep those cushy senior DAA salaries going. They could instead be using that hefty passenger screening charge to actually staff all the belts.

The tax is still there

I was the first through at 5am last time, I hadn't expected to see it open.

Same as you bikeman always did it as it was ok at that price, really can't see me using it now its gone up. Due to fly next week, anyone know what T1 queues like at 6am atm?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭antseanoifig

Safe to say T1 Friday night departing 2000 will be chockablock?

Best use fast track?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

How many flights depart late evening? Very few, I'd have thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Just had a look - 10 between 19:30 and 20:30, almost all Ryanair.

That's probably around 1500 passengers. Shouldn't be a big deal if security is properly staffed, but.....

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭trellheim

DAA have stopped selling Fast Tracks

Fast track is still open, but hours are horribly limited in T2

Reads as legal cover to protect against legal action as the DAA have demonstrated they are unable to provide the service (so Sales and Supply of Goods and Services 1980...), so easy court case for a frustrated passenger

I don't think they would be able to close it as a lot of people will have already paid for the service.

I pay for it as a matter of course when flying Ryanair – I have one for a Sunday afternoon in mid-April.

• Advertisement

Replying to myself here - the DAA website says:

Fast Track Security is open, but only for those who already have a confirmed booking. We are temporarily not taking any new bookings. We apologise for this inconvenience. For more information, please email travelservices@dublinairport.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

All existing fast track bookings will be honoured (despite no guarantee you'll get through security any faster) but no new passes will be sold.

I'm flying next week to AMS so have been following this news story about the unprecedented delays. The DUB app mostly gives wait times of 10 to 30 minutes so I'm curious as to when this is an issue. Are the delays reported only happening less than 10% of the day or between certain hours or days or is it just simple social media hype by passengers who turned up an hour before their flight? I'd hate to have to turn up 3.5 hours early for a 90 minute flight only to waltz through security in 5 minutes and twiddle my thumbs for 3 hours unnecessarily!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Yes, I had to go through fast track on 16th March, I would have missed my flight to Newcastle at 09.45.

God knows what its like now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Quags

I was in the airport on Sat at about 1pm and the wait time was around 20 mins but a mate of mine was nearly 2 hours waiting on Sunday around 7pm. so its hit & miss with the peak lines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,813 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

They hired 50 people at the end of last year.

there is an advertisement on DAA.ie now hiring more.

so that would indicate they are somewhat understaffed.

problem is from the beginning of the hiring process to have someone working would be months.

hiring… advertising, selecting for interviews, interviews, checking references, offers, background checks, Garda vetting

training…various different modules, X-ray, ETD, aviation security, induction…whatever else…

so from putting an advertisement up you’d be months away from having people in situ to work.

Problem is the ASU’s need to staff 24 hours T1 & T2 passenger and staff security as well as the ‘gate post’ security for staff out on the airfield…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clon63

Similar situation with me on Saturday at 7.30am in T1.18 minutes to be exact so not quick but fair enough. Only half the queues in operation

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Yes I know that airport authorities like people showing up early. It leads to a smoother less rushed all round process plus the punters are buying stuff at the airport while they wait around.

We've got a lot better at turning up early but there are still a fair few of us who think they can just turn up within the hour of the departure and expect just to sail through. Ryanair don't take any prisoners and even Aer Lingus aren't just going to hang around, although I have found them more tolerant of late comers to the Gate.

That said, this does appear unprecedented. I'd rather be sitting at the Gate reading a book 2 hours beforehand than having a nervous breakdown queuing outside with 400 other equally fraught travelers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,813 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’ve been that way since the whole security situation post 9/11.

I’ve a three hour rule.. flight at 4pm… im there at 1pm etc….

not stressed.

, a little time to shop, eat, drink and stroll to the gate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭9320

The problem is with everyone being urged to show up 3 hours early are they going to do away with the natural spread of people arriving? And accidentally cause serious bunching?

We've a flight Saturday at noon so it should be okay from comments above. Does anyone know if the Times on their app are accurate? Currently stating 15 minutes for both T1/T2.

The wages they're offering for staff are very very low, not much better than minimum wage plus only guaranteed 20 hours but must be available for 40 hours - €14.14 per hour - and they're surprised they can't get staff?

Seems DAA are having a serious issue restoring services in catering too. Reports that Cork Airport has picked up to pretty good volumes of passengers but all fancy food halls, coffee places etc are still closed.

It looks like they or their outsourcers are paying unrealistically low wages into a tightening employment market with rising costs.

It’s the same in hospitality / food services. Twice over the weekend in Dublin and in Cork I saw cafes etc with signs up apologising for being closed on Sunday due to staffing issues / staff shortages and there are a number of places still running short weeks as they can’t get waiting staff.

I think we are seeing a lot of issues coming to a head: accommodation is too expensive, a lot of people from continental Europe went home during COVID / lockdown and didn’t return (also links to housing). That’s tightened the employment market. I suspect a lot of people also aren’t rushing to take low paid, customer facing jobs too - risks involved that weren’t there before etc. Then add increasingly steep inflation to the mix …

I think Ireland is going to get seriously expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The actual DAA twitter account this morning.

I can only assume this was someone in the midst of their notice period, but I haven't laughed as much in ages. The Ultra-Con outrage only made it funnier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Give that person a promotion!

For quite some time after reopening, Cork had no lounge and neither of the restaurants were open - just a coffee dock which was permanently mobbed. Even now, the restaurants aren't open full time - there are many hours of the day where you can't get any hot food post security... we won't count the lounge as its offering was only alright.

• Possibly because they know people’s batteries are very likely to run flat with the extra security wait? They might have had cases of batteries running flat at point of boarding and denied boarding as a result. If possible I always try and make a printed copy, just in case.

• Maybe they are keeping it for likes if AerClub & Business Ckass bookings etc, as they have those extra obligations to fulfil.

• I have seen lots of cheeky DAA tweets in recent times. Something is up with the morale there or a disgruntled ex staff member or indeed someone else has hacked the account

• Advertisement
Advertisement