Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solis owners

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

i think you would need to export the daily data yourself and collect it. I tried to see it in solis cloud and couldnt see a way

If i decided to DIY a battery for my Solis Inverter - what is the best strategy to have the least amount of hassle?

If i build DIY - will i run into lots of problems with Solis "resetting" or "over voltage errors" or is this solveable? Is the best plan to over build a battery and never fill it past 99%? i could live with that too....

TLDR;

I like my 5Kw non-diy battery (Dyness) it JUST works - no over voltage issues, no maintenance. But I cant afford to buy 4 of them.

I probably need 10Kw of DIY battery (i use about 7000Kw per year) - and that would see me on closer to 99% night rate for the winter months. Right now Im on about 70% NIght Rate with some clever load shifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

I did that earlier in the year got 4 of the 5kwh dyness and not one issue since, only regret not getting 5 or 6 instead, got them for a super good price too, under 1500, they're over 2k now for one and defo not worth it anymore with the 💩-show that are the lithium prices these days.

Don't care about the blah-blah you could have gotten 40-50kwh for the same price etc...

I didn't want to mess with all of that balancing/cell lottery/seplos nonsense either so my sanity is still intact 😁

5 mins to connect the cables and you're up and running

• Registered Users Posts: 65,085 ✭✭✭✭unkel

20kWh for €6000?

At that time you could have got 40kWh far better quality batteries for €4000. Couple hours work putting them together, job done. Or do you make more than €1000 per hour in your day job? 😂

And of course with that miserable 20kWh you will still cry every evening in winter for the next 20 years as yet again your battery fails to make it to night rate 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Haven't run out of juice until 15kw o'clock so far.

Maybe when I stop valuing my time I'll sell these on and sink countless hours into DIY ones 🤣

• Advertisement

I moved my battery into the shed recently. The complete rebuild took about an hour including making the leads for my new active balancer. Enjoyable thing to do too, but I suppose some people prefer watching Eastenders or some other sh1te on the telly 🤣

@unkel did you see my post? Maybe this is wrong thread but was hoping someone with DIY knowledge could answer about Solis issues... I've not read anyone with Solis having an easy time with building a battery... Is that still an issue?

My mate has a Solis hybrid inverter. We built his battery, connected and configured a Seplos BMS and they talked to each other within minutes over CAN, no issues at all

The one problem that I'm aware of that all Solis hybrids inverters suffer from is that they do not perform according to spec when it comes to the most important aspect of hybrid inverters: charging and discharging. The current 6kW model is supposed to do 100A but only does that for minutes and then goes down to 60-70A, which simply isn't good enough for the money you pay for the inverter

• Registered Users Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Agree. I will be replacing mine (solis inverter) for something that actually does at least 100A reliably - and not just for 15 minutes! - as soon as I can order a better battery setup. All funded by selling my current 4 dyness batteries and the solis itself!

Sunsynk!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Not suitable for my use case unfortunately, I'll want more storage than that. I'm leaning to the big expensive blue box - because of the dual AC input and dual AC output.

The Sunsynk range of hybrid inverters will accept up to 8 x 5.12kwh batteries.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

That's actually the limit of the batteries not the inverter!

You can add as many battery cells as you like, provided you are making the battery yourself. Beware though that we could possibly have some sort of affordable V2H / V2G solution available in the next few years. Bit of a waste of your money buying 100kWh in batteries if you already have free 100kWh in batteries in your EVs in your drive, ready to be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 shareboy

Hi all

I have a solis 6kw hybrid inverter with x2 pylontec 3.5kw batteries. With the longer days in, my batteries are charging very fast during the day. Excess is sent to eddi. ive noticed that once they are fully charged they start to discharge straight away. Is there anyway to set it up so that they stop once fully charged and wait till there's no pv available to avoid unnecessary charge/discharge cycle. Supplier has stated that even small discharges count as a cycle. I have it set up in self use mode only.

Regards

Np

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

When they discharge.. where does the power go? The eddi? You can set a export margin so that the battery won't discharge into the eddi.

Don't worry about cycles.

But for reference a cycle in a battery is a cumulative thing. 100-0 and back again

Or 80-60 5 times etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 shareboy

Thanks for the info on cycles. Must have picked them up wrong. Ya I've set export margin slightly higher to stop it draining battery. I'm not too bothered now that I know its not really a counted as a cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭silver_sky

The discharge is normal. It's to stop the batteries sitting at 100%. Once they get below 95% you'll notice that they will charge again.

Question is what power do they discharge at? When they brought this in first last year it was something like 2-300W.

On the more recent firmware I'm seeing more like 40W.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Scoobydoobydoo101

Anyone having issues with their battery discharging? (Weco)

The battery is full and the short fall on the house consumption is all coming from the grid.

I cant tell if there was an update last night but it was working as expected yesterday...

Advertisement