Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why don't landlords accept pets in Ireland?

• 04-09-2021 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭

As a pet owner, I am owning up to my responsibilities and if that includes professional cleaning at the end of tenancy or an extra deposit, that is ok with me. At least they can write up a lease knowing what is expected of me while owning a pet in a rental.

But a landlord have their pick with people and can choose someone that can hide the fact they smoke. And cigarette smoke can ruin their property as well.

How is this fair? And will this ever change in Ireland to allow pets in rental properties?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Some landlords will. My previous housemate had a cat, and it was never a problem. It depends on the person.

As for why it tends to be proscribed here, well I think it's a cultural thing. Over in Italy, it's common to see dogs in restaurants and bars, and I personally know more than a few Italians who have pets in rented accommodation. Here in Ireland, we're just not really like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭Xander10

With a house and garden it shouldn't be an issue. However, in Apt complexes, it's more about avoiding the hassle of neighbours complaining

• Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭Caranica

In many apartment complexes it's against development rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,853 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'd say mostly because the quango with the job of regulating the rental sector is blatantly anti landlord. So if a pet damages the landlords property there is no way of getting a satisfactory result for the landlord if the tenant doesn't want to pay, regardless of what contract they signed.

Irish health regulations are tougher than Italian so you can't have animals in a food service area, the biggest profit margins are on food so business don't want to loose money by allowing pets in.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭PSFarrell

I'm a director of the management company in the apartment complex where I live and dogs are a major source of tension. With people working from home noise complaints have gone up drastically. Lots of letters to landlords requesting their tenants remove dogs and if they refuse we then exercise fines per the development rules agreed at the members AGM. It's a lot easier for a landlord just to bar pets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

firstly - there are more willing tenants than there are places to rent. Landlords will always prudently try to ensure they have the best possible tenant with the least risk - so most landlords will see pets as a negative when looking at potential tenants.

Secondly - as pointed out before - any special agreement that you may want to put in place regarding cleaning etc - may as well be written on toilet paper and flushed down the toilet as the Irish system is skewed in such a way that a landlord has little or no recourse to be compensated by anything a tenant does.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,712 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Same reason landlords turn away certain categories of people, less perceived risk of trashing the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

That's the thing, how about people smoking? That's easier to hide, but the smell smokers leave behind is disgusting and sticks to everything. So how does a landlord make sure the people they choose don't smoke?

At least I'm being upfront and trying to be responsible and we're not all bad tenants.

But going by this I should probably hide my cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

A friend of mine lives in a new apartment in Finland on the sixth floor. Pets are welcome & quite a few tenants have dogs.

But then again they also have lots of dog parks where people can let their dog off the lead safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

The issue is too many people not having the appropriate dog, not giving a damn about others and not training them well.

(I have 2 dogs)

So you will have people in apartments getting happy dogs or dogs that are too boisterous, or renters who don't respect the property because it's not theirs.

These people ruin it for people who don't abuse the property

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,976 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I’ve never allowed pets in properties I rent, nor indeed in the Airbnb rental I have, it’s a deal breaker. There is virtually no hope whatsoever of me recovering unpaid rent, never mind the cost of damage done by pets. It’s all about reducing risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

As a LL, I allow cats - because I had one, and its unfurnished. Goldfish and pet birds are fine too.

But I would never allow a dog, or any other four legged animal too dumb to be trained to use a litter box.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,712 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Being Finland, it's a fair bet that people are more responsible for their dogs than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Irish people are bad pet owners ,always have been

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭piplip87

It must be a big town thing. I have never had a problem finding place with my dog. Personally I don't think dogs should be allowed in apartments at all. It's not fair on the dog.

What if I can prove that I look after my pet through insurance, microchipping and 4 years worth of vaccination records?

That proves I look after my pet and prove that I'm a responsible person. So responsible enough to look after a property as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I previously rented a property to a tenant who had a number of cats. I'm a fan of cats myself and the tenant was lovely, plus it was at a time when it was a renters market. In anycase when she moved out I had to replace all of the carpets due to damage caused by the cats, clearly worn and torn in parts. Now the tenant was there for four years in fairness and I didn't mind too much, I would be doing a bit of work on the place regardless. The carpets were new when she moved in though. Nowadays it would just be less hassle overall to insist no cats / dogs living inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ByTheSea2019

Yeah, I really wonder about this. There's a couple in the same apartment block as me with some really large breed of dog (I don't know anything about dogs). They take it out for walks, but I don't know if they can exercise it enough through that alone. The lift smells a bit of wet dog after they've been in it for a few seconds up and down so I wonder what the apartment that the dog stays in all the time must smell like.

But you're taking a risk on someone else as well. I don't think you will ever get the ideal tenant, like I said there's so much that smokes and that is hidden more easily and smoke leaves damage as well.

But I'm being upfront and can offer an extra deposit and get professional cleaning after the tenancy to cover any potential damage.

But the way how things are, I'm better off lying.

• Advertisement

You are correct, there is always risk, but the risk of damage caused by pets is negated by refusing them.

Do you refuse people with kids as well? To be safe like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Some landlords do, some don't. It's their property so, within reason, their rules.

I rent from a dog friendly owner, so no idea how I'd feel if I was a landlord, but I suspect I'd probably take that risk away by not letting tenants keep cats or dogs.

Kids also cause damage. If it's about risk of damage, you should also be refusing kids.

Kids are a risk most LL’s are willing to accept, pets are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Alfred123

What about childish adults ?

And mature kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Alfred123

What about persons who tick the Rather not say box for Sexual orientation

• Advertisement

Dogs that identify as cats.

Advertisement