Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why don't landlords accept pets in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Every pet owner thinks their pet doesnt smell.

They also think their pet wont damage furniture.

Pets do smell and they do damage furniture. Its just a fact of life.

And the landlord just doesnt want to be arguing with you about deposits.

He would much rather just everything be grand and hand you back your deposit.

He isnt going add anything into the mix that might cause complications if he has other potential tenants with less complications. Like a pet or a smoker.

Smokers smell too, especially to non smokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Xander10

A definite no no.

I believe on average they live to about 80 and will probably end up with some form of squatters rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,545 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Fairly easy to rent out a 1/2 bed appartment with a no kid rule, but if you have a 3/5 bed house, a no kid rule removes a lot of potential tennants.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Let them eat cake! Classy response. Have you ever taken a goldfish for a walk?

This might be a surprise but most people don't choose to be a tenant. It just happens to be the only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

No ones ever been forced to buy a pet. So if your only option is renting then don't buy a pet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I let people have pets and actual enjoy meeting them. Rented houses next door also have dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Potis 2020

While I agree to a certain extent, I actually believe kids cause more damage to properties than pets a lot of the time! 🤣

That’s the governments fault though, not the private landlords. You should blame FF/FG for the fact that you can’t have a dog in your home

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Not quite true. You have to provide white goods - oven, fridge, freezer. Nothing else. That's generally the definition of 'unfurnished' in a rental context both in Ireland the UK.

Much more common in the UK, and generally toward the higher end of the market. I wish there were more unfurnished options in Ireland - just doesn't seem to be much of a thing. As renters get older though, demand will probably increase,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Alfred123

Well, the swearing parrot would always be in a cage. Owned by a very respectable couple. You'd only have to hear it once a month when you came to collect the rent (cash)

"Yer fckuing man again. Here to fckuing rob us. Why don't you bring a feckin gun. Would be more fcuking dignified, you cnut.

1500 quid a month ! Place isnt worth one-fifty.

How do you fecking live with yourself, you fckuing greaseball !"

But they always pay on time. Finally ye agree that you don't have to come into the apartment - they'll slide the rent out under the door for you

But still you can hear the parrot thru the door

" yer fckuing man again .."

Would that be ok ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭DubCount

Just out of interest, is there any problem in the world not caused by FF/FG? Did they bring us Covid as well?

Okay, I should have just said "the government", as it is the government who have their hands on the levers here. Have let an environment develop in which people like the OP cant buy a house. My point was that it is their fault, not private landlords. Just so happens to have been FF and FG in recent years. It is not a reflection of the way that I vote

• Registered Users Posts: 10,040 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Have you read the OP's many many other threads? Buying a house isn't on their radar

No, I haven’t, I don’t know anything about the OP and don’t pay these things that much attention. I just saw a post where they said, when challenged, that they couldn’t buy a house. And, by extension, and were blaming landlords for their inability to have a pet

Without context you can see lots of things but not the full story.

I’m not that into boards that i look at peoples profiles and posting history

Any regular on this forum wouldn't need to look. The OP has a lot of questions, and a lot of obstacles to renting a property, not to mind buying one.

The bottom line is that the landlord can decide who or what they accept. Many won't accept pets for a myriad of reasons. In the current rental market they would be putting themselves at even more of a disadvantage if on top of everything else they needed somewhere that accepts pets.

get a goldfish.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I'm not actually blaming landlords, and I understand that landlords have legitimate concerns.

I don't have a solution either - maybe some kind of insurance scheme or increased deposit or something.

It's just awful that a generation is blocked from the basic measure of having a pet that you can interact with, not good for mental or physical health..

The 'my house my rules' isn't a good reason. It is illegal for landlords to discriminate based on race or gender or disability. The same could be done in relation to pets, if there was a bit of momentum for this change.

Post edited by AndrewJRenko on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Not a LL but would fully understand the miriad of reasons why they would not want a dog etc in their property.

A reality that pet owners must acknowledge when they take ownership of said pet.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Alfred123

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

You can't relate no pets allowed to race, religion, disability or sexuality. You can chose to have a pet or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

My parents had lovely little dog before.

Chewed the furniture to bits. He even chewed the corner off a marble fireplace.

I still find things he chewed that I hadnt seen before even now 5 years after he left us.

The back of a tv cabinet, the bottom of a bed frame and the back of a sofa for example.

Chewing was what he did.

My Dad would never have another dog in the house now. I will never have a dog either myself :)

If I was a landlord I surely wouldnt want pets in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Im sorry but having pets is a life choice and its not fair to push your life choices onto a third party where they will bear all the risks. If you have your own home, well fair enough, if your pet damages it or you get noise complaints, its on you. If your renting when you know renting will be tough with pets, theres no point complaining after the fact.

Insurance companies dont offer much protect in the form of landlord protections other than the standard stuff as legislation is very anti LL. I dont see them offering this in the future as a result.

Increased deposit of 1k wont cut it im afraid. If you really wanted actually deposit protection again a pet, it should be closer to 10k or more, given a couch alone could be 1k, add on everything else they can damage, and costs can go up quickly. You might think this price is too high but given it doesnt sound like you are aware of how hard it is for a LL to claim back damages off a tenant, i would recommend reading up on this aspect first.

Why is "my house my rules" not good enough? The ll worked hard and saved up a lot of money to be able to afford the home so why can they not dictate what rules they want enforced as long as they are abiding by the law? Adding pets to race, religion etc is a bit of a stretch.. What will it be next after this..

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

I'm not a landlord and I've never owned a property. But if I was I'd have to agree with the majority here that there's no way I'd rent out to someone with pets - why take on a potentially expensive risk when you don't need to.

I've been in houseshares and one guy moved in a dog without telling the landlord. It was a lovely little dog but he bit through furniture, laptop cables etc. And even though he was clean, he did leave a smell.

Of course his owner claimed never to be able smell anything and that the chewing was just normal wear and tear.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

I’ve seen Adults and Children do way more damage to rented properties then any animal could inflict including stinking out the place.

It’s unfortunate in the eyes of the law that you cant/ shouldn’t be selective.

I was a dog owner renting. When I was moving there was no pets allowed available so I bought a property.

If I was to rent my property in the future it would be my first choice to a pet owner with no kids

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Please come back to us after you have let to a few pet owners, families and single professionals.

I have experience all and can tell you without a doubt that cats and dogs have caused the most damage.

Advertisement