Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People Who Find the 'Ahhh Here!' Junkies in Dublin a Problem Need to See This

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

How long ago are you talking? Pretty sure the phone box there is gone at least 10 years

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

You see each person for 5 seconds max. How does that prove that they're harmless? WTF 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

That one was removed after an article in the paper with photos of a junkie shooting up in it.

I walked past that twice a day for 10 years and at least once a fortnight saw someone shooting up or burning it on foil as I was passing.

Surprised it took them that long to get rid of it.

Dublin city center is well on the way to being like those videos.

Cognitive neuroscience = the future.

No doubt in my mind, reinforced for me more and more as society acknowledges these issues more seriously (unlike McEntee, Carroll McNeill, Ryan, Martin, Donnelly and the man with plan Leo V., etc. currently).

From the formerly linked article.

"Mr O’Neill said dealers then target women who have been lured by the free samples, forcing them to have sex in order to pay off drug debts"

Sex is so closely linked to drug use also, which unfortunately also continues to be so poorly acknowledged.

It's funny I seem to consistently come across the best explanations of taboo subjects in scenes and presentations that were only intended to be satirical:

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭RulesOfNature

The yanks spent over 2 trillion in the Afghan war, most of which went to government contracts with Raytheon, Boeing, Lockheed Martin etc. If you dont know how much two trillion is, for every day they spent in Afghanistan from 2001 to 2021 (7262 days) they spent 275,406,224 million dollars PER DAY.

Now imagine if they spent that money investing in their own country.

That video is what they deserve. The whole place needs to rot and collapse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

You need to work on your maths skills.

If they spent 2 trillion in 20 years then how does that equate to 275,406,224 million (275 trillion) each day?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Are you trying to conflate the drug use in Dublin City centre with the Ballad of gay Tony in GTA IV?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

For the average working American it's a massive waste.

Mind you considering the relative size of country, the Irish Government has probably gone into debt by USD 10-15trillion ($250bn *60 times) in that time frame. And what do they have to show for it? A few motorways that the EU always get the credit for.

There's plenty of them at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭RulesOfNature

You deliberately ignored the entire discussion just to make a cheap one-up on syntax. They spent two hundred seventy five hundred million dollars per day in Afghanistan.

Just stop the pathetic crap man. You're not funny. No ones laughing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Deregos.

That videos a bit of an eye opener alright, the demise of the American dream happening right before our eyes in 14 minutes. I'd also witnessed an obvious divide between the haves and the have nots in Miami a few years back . . . But nothing on this scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I know every Junkie has their own story but watched a few documentaries on the opioid crisis in the US and some people were prescribed Oxycontin after serious accidents for pain and ended up strung out. Some of these pharmaceutical companies are ragbags.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The whole system is the problem. On top of the opioid crisis driven by greed and a lack of government oversight until it was well under way*, you also have the US medical system itself. Many of those on such opioid were on them for conditions that could be treated by things like surgery but the patients couldn't afford it, or their insurance wouldn't cover it, but would cover the happy pills. Throw in a section of the medical profession that are essentially pimps for the drug business with nice kickbacks for them and it was the perfect storm. That over 60% of all bankruptcies in the US are medical bankruptcies and a million Americans file for such every year says it all. Something that is unheard of outside that nation.

*there's a very good documentary about it called Crime of the century A real eye opener and well worth watching. One crowd were directly bribing doctors to over perscribe their opioid for conditions it was clearly not meant for. Another lot lobbied the US FDA to allow use for these drugs outside of areas they were developed for. Another part that surprised me was that Tasmania supplies over 50% of opium on the planet to supply this market.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

This is the path neoliberals are dragging us down, when coveney and varadkar lie, this is what it is for us, for them its a job interview as the public face as a corporate shill/lobbyist.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

They should have bought bitcoin instead of drugs, they'd be shooting up in a Ferrari Enzo now instead!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Very sad to see but America has been going this way for many decades now.

The opioid and crystal meth etc. crises are just the symptom of a once great nation in (probable) terminal decline and as Wibbs opined, a deeply messed up and dysfunctional healthcare system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Not to make fun of you but you did it again; I sincerely hope you meant 275 million dollars a day. There.

?

what does diversity have to do with it?

it's not ahead of us at all, you can see these scenes, in a smaller level in Dublin any day of the week.

it's terribly sad

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Just like the States, it would be well within our capabilities to greatly reduce the numbers of "ah heres" on our streets if it wasn't for systematic failures and learned helplessness.

It's strange that despite all these competing private charities the situation doesnt appear to improve at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Leave them charities alone. They have a right to thrive, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭HerrKapitan

That video seems to show more numerous junkies, but none look as uncivilised as a Dub junkie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

The junkies in Dublin make me sick. Cannot bare to look at them

Advertisement