Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People Who Find the 'Ahhh Here!' Junkies in Dublin a Problem Need to See This

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

what a waste, better off dead? 😕

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm so grateful that fate had me born and bred in a place like Ireland. For all its faults it's far better for most people than many, if not most places outside the EU and some places in the Far East.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Absolutely mental, never ceases to amaze me the levels of wealth in the USA and you see scenes like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Crazy really. I remember watching The Wire years ago thinking the New Amsterdam story was a bit farfetched, turns out it wasn't farfetched enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

This place is a shitshow, so don't worry about the shitshow where you live. Excellent logic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Same. We're extraordinarily lucky to be living here. I always contend that Ireland overall is probably one of the most desirable places to live in the world.

As for the video, it's viscerally shocking, but I've worked in homeless services and nothing there is unusual. Plenty of poverty, people without dignity or self worth, no hope. Its fairly crushing for them, and to a lesser extent, the staff who work with them.

Also plenty of people in the invisible chair :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

see, what I’m going to do is... not worry about X street 3000 kilometers away, i genuinely couldn’t give a flying fûck wherever that is if they are eating their young or injecting Heinz tomato soup into their eyeballs...not my problem...

i live in Dublin, my concern is the condition and safety of my city, what’s going on here..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The gap between the richest and the poorest in America is now greater than it was in their so called Gilded Age of the late 19th century and the late 19th century was a shítshow on that front. The average US wage hasn't gone up by much since the 80's and Reaganomics and their very wealthy have a myriad of ways to evade paying tax, while the middle get squeezed and the poor get poorer. The rich off shored labour to cheaper markets decimating manufacturing while feathering their own nests. If you search for living in your car on youtube the vast majority of vids are American. This says much.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

That place makes the neighbourhoods in The Wire look posh

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Rich America has honed their craft. Its very impressive. They're continuing to win the game, while the middle slowly lose and the poor have already lost.

• Advertisement

Should move to Bel Air

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Those Kensington videos are a bit of an eye opener. Makes Hamsterdam look like Disneyland.

I dont really understand why that guy on youtube is recording them every day and uploading the videos to youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

the once iconic venice beach in LA is now a no-go zone

It’s very sad to see things get to that level of extreme. It’s also a bunch of profoundly failed political policies and socioeconomic ideologies that we need to avoid ever importing.

That kind of horror is basically the consequence of a society making choices to accept it and you can see elements of it creeping in here when you see those cold, hard and nasty attitudes to things like the housing crisis.

It’s very easy to pull the ladder up and forget that you’re part of a broader society.

It also worries me to see the U.K. under the current batch of a very extreme form of the Tories start to methodically pull away the social supports, the access to quality services, excellent educational opportunities etc that were, in reality, what built modern Britain. It used to be a better, fairer society than that.

When I see people buzzing like that in a dystopian hellscape it makes me think that doing heroin sat on my sofa would be pretty **** amazing tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

Looks like great crack

Imagine the damage Nixon would have done if he'd served eight years.

His appointment of corporate lawyer, and free-market fundamentalist, Lewis Powell to the Supreme Court started the working American rot.

Ever since, the standard of living for the average American has been in a ceaseless downward spiral.

Here lies the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Trans Humanist

Parts of San Francisco are very similar

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If ever there was an advert for "don't do drugs", this is it.

And those saying we aren't as bad here, well things that happen in the US or UK tend to happen here, it just takes a few decades, so get prepared. This is coming to us some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I have been to Philly and even the main parts of the city are very run down. It was about 10 years ago but friends there say nothing has changed. It reminded me of Dublin in the late 70s/early 80s. One person I know served time in the army and damaged her back in service. The treatment she gets in hospital is the cheapest and they won't pay for the back surgery she needs and she needs to raise $200k to get it done herself. She can't do it so lives in pain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

About 4 miles from the Liberty Bell. Would Rocky pound those pavements today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

It's probably why Rocky was pounding the pavements!

God love them, they're knocking on heaven's door. Not bothering a soul to be fair though. Our own "ill people" don't tend to keep to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,873 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

So where are all our crack houses? They were the 90s in the USA so after 3 decades we should have a massive crack cocaine problem for the last 10 years at least and we should be just kicking off on crystal meth about now as that hit the USA in 00s.

I'm not saying that we don't have crack or crystal meth here but what happens in the USA or UK doesn't always come here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

There was not one scene in that video that I found shocking relative to what you might see in Dublin city centre. What I saw were a lot of very poor, sick and disadvantaged people going about their lives. There was no latent aggression. There was no-one going for a sh1t in a phone box. That's what you see any day in Dublin city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

We don't really have many phone boxes in Dublin anymore , we do have open phone kiosks , I'm not sure how you'd manage a **** in them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I am surprised nobody snatched them off the streets to create a real life zombie killing game. Win win

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

There is / was one on the corner of Westmoreland Street and O'Connell Bridge. I've sat in a bus full of commuters at peak hour with hundreds of people milling about on that junction and seen someone drop their pants and use it as a toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

All ahead of us lads, we've so much catching up to do on the diversity front.

• Advertisement
Advertisement