Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interclub 2022 eligibility

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Right so for 2021 there was no requirement to have a specific number of cards on your record.

You just needed a handicap, so three casual rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,199 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Initial handicap allocation is done on more than just three casual rounds. Other factors are taken into account before the handicap is allocated. I have very seldom taken the calculations from three cards without adjustment.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 NedBagg

Looks like the All Ireland comps criteria is out for handicaps... the way I read it is that its your lowest handicap between July 1st 2021 and Jan 1st 2022... interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I hope its the same for the Connaught Competitions too. Lads building their handicaps since the summer for nothing makes me happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭big_drive

Could anyone figure out where this scenario falls

We've a player who joined last year , got a handicap index of 9.0 (course handicap 10)

In his second competition had 41 pts. (Score diff =3) At that stage as he'd only couple cards on system so it took best score minus 2 to calculate index. As a result his handicap was then down to 1.0

During summer & autumn it's risen steadily to now be 5.4

He still hasn't 20 rounds on record (17 at present)

Where would he stand in relation to inter club?

Basically does 1.0 count as lowest handicap? Without 20 rounds how does it work fairly. In reality it was a false handicap as he got caught for a good round so early. He's been nowhere near it since then. I would say eventually he'll be a solid player around the 6-7 mark

Its whatever his lowest is between July 1st 2021 and Jan 1st 2022...that will be his handicap for interclub.. He does not need to have 20 rounds .. just an official handicap on Jan 1st 2022.. That's my understanding but am open to correction....I am no expert on this.. For 2023 however I would think you will need 20 rounds and I would guess Handicaps will be your lowest in 2022.. so back to normal...

Thanks.

So he'll probably really have to wait until 2023 to play inter club competition

It's just a small flaw in it, if a player plays a great round early it can give a low index that's a bit lower than reality

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

I’m in a similar boat, the 2 stroke cut when you’ve a limited sample size means your early index is low but it’s right in my eyes.

your friend shot 5 over par in what Golf Ireland view as his 5th round of golf (on what must be a more tricky than average course if ND is 3). Whilst 1 feels a bit harsh, I think the system does it’s job in protecting “the field”. They don’t know if his next 15 rounds are going to be 5 shotsbetter rather than worse than that.

Ya it's true. I suppose it just feels harsh given that his rounds since haven't been anywhere near it. I know lads who've played with him and they said he's genuinely a 6 ish level.

He went from 9.0 to 1.0 in one round.

But as you said the system can't predict what's to come. It's just a bit unlucky that the excellent round came when only one card was counting. If it had come at a later stage when it was averaging with other cards it might have worked better. I'd say it made his summer difficult playing off a low index without being able to really play to that level

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭galwaylad1980

No more speculation. Lowest index in H2 of 2021 will be used for the vast majority of Inter Club Teams in 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I see the eligibility is only having a HC index on the 1st of January. Has the rule of having to play 4 qualifying rounds the previous year gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Poker Face

Yes it has. That rule was not there in 2021 either

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gman127

Does anyone know are the competition formats staying the same as last year or will they revert to what they were before??

By that I mean is every comp going to be a knockout style again or will the likes of Pierce Purcell, Jimmy Bruen, etc go back to being a one day qualifier with top teams having a playoff the following day??

Our club will only decide what to enter based on this as if every comp is a knockout we don't have big enough panels to enter them all as we'd be asking a lot of the same players to play in multiple comps which is too time consuming

I don't think they have said definitively yet but I would be pretty confident that it will be the same as last year... which in my mind takes away from the Bruen and Purcell as the qualifier was a great test... also means the Barton cup in Leinster and the JB are very similar and would have probably 80% of the same players which would take up a huge amount of time especially if you are playing away.. I dont think we will have qualifiers again while we have covid with us unfortunately...

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gman127

Thanks. That's exactly what I was thinking alright. We went well in the Barton last year and to play the Jimmy Bruen would have been fielding the exact same team. Too much to ask of lads to do both so we just pulled out of the Bruen. Probably won't enter it at all this year sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

When are the draws for these comps likely to be made?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Poker Face

From Golf Ireland

"It is intended that the competition draws will be published shortly after St Patrick’s Day, with the earliest first round deadlines in mid-to-late April, but most first round competition deadlines falling in May. "

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭IHateNewShoes

Any reasoning for such a massive difference in the voting percentages for the home / away options? Munster the big outlier compared the the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Ms.Informed

Not sure if this is the place to ask this question but here goes. Mostly aimed at any handicap sec’s out there in boardsland. 

Have been asked to look after a team in our club this year, I asked our h/c sec if she could give me a report of all lady members in the club and what their lowest index was from 1st July to end of 2021 and I thought I could then crunch the numbers myself and see who was eligible for my team and what pairings might work so I can maybe steer it a bit more instead of relying on players trying to make up their own pairings, finding out they're not eligible to play together etc.

My h/c sec has told me she can’t do this and I have to tell her the list of players I want confirmed and she’ll then check them individually and tell me what their low index was in H2 last year! 

This sounds bonkers, surely there’s a report that can be run that can just spit out the full list? Otherwise h/c sec will have to do this individually for every player for every team?

Maybe I’m way off though and Golf Ireland don’t have the sophisticated reports I think they do? Just looking for any h/c sec’s views or if there’s any way of getting this info in a less labour intensive way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

In both clubv1 and Handicapmaster you can run these reports very easily. Do you know what system your club runs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ms.Informed

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭SEORG

Golf Ireland sent the following late last week

Updates to Inter-Club Team Members’ Report

To: Club Communication Officers, Honorary Secretaries and Managers

Golf Ireland has received some feedback from a number of club administrators and subsequently we have worked with our developers to introduce significant new functionality to the Inter-Club Team Members’ Report.  

These updates will allow clubs, for the first time, to obtain a list of all members directly from the central database with their lowest handicap index during the period 1/7/2021 to 1/1/2022.

To obtain a list of all members with their Lowest Handicap Index From 1/7/21 To 1/1/2022, club officials should access the Reports tab on the Clubhouse. In the Handicapping Reports section please choose Inter-Club Team Members.

In the search boxes, captains/manager can select an individual member by typing in their name or leave blank if captains/managers would like to extract a list of all members.

Once a name is added or the box is left blank, choose View in Excel. This will export an Excel file to your downloads. Once opened you can sort the data by Handicap using Column G (Lowest Handicap Index From 1/7/21 To 1/1/2022) or Gender using Column F (Gender)

THINGS TO NOTE:

• There is no automatic filtering by gender. If this is required for different selector groups or competitions, export to Excel and sort by the gender column.
    • Members still with a pending HI have been excluded from the return of all members.
    • For the return of all members, it is important to note that in a small proportion of cases, the lowest HI is estimated. It is therefore recommended that club selectors do a second, individual lookup, for potential members who seem to be just inside or just outside a selection criteria based on the lowest HI on the all member report. 
    • If any player you select as the answer “no” in column I (Was Live On 01/1/2022 ) and/or if a Club has made a manual adjustment after 1st of January, the club should contact their Golf Ireland Regional Office immediately, and no later than 10 days before the first match in which such players will compete, to confirm whether such player(s) are eligible to compete in the competition.”

Have any of the winning Clubs from last year been audited by Golf Ireland and cuts applied to players involved on the winning teams. I remember being involved on a team that won a regional pennant years ago and we were audited by Leinster Golf and cuts applied to a lot of the members of the team. I think the cut was 1 shot where applicable.

I know the system is changed since regarding handicaps and easier for your handicap to increase etc. etc. but you would like to think there is some sort of auditing still going on. We all know it wouldn't be too hard to know where to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

I sincerely hope so. Some of the teams from the last few years have been nothing short of a disgrace to the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Clubs were obliged to fill in a sheet as below and indicate if any player warranted a change in handicap.

i presume the handicap review committee in golf ireland took the above information into account when reviewing handicaps.

Completion of this form was a great idea and gave a complete history of the player for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭plumber77

Considering some of these teams are regular winners over the last 10 years you wouldn't hold out much hope. The integrity of those comps is long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

our club won an all ireland last Yr. if a player had lowered his handicap during the yr he was not cut again by golf ireland. only 1 player from the panel got cut as he had not lowered his handicap during the yr.

majority of last yrs panel are now unavailable to compete next yr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Any idea when the draws are going to be done, they seem to be late this year?

Advertisement