Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I hate summer

Options
  • 29-08-2021 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭

It's too hot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

It’s Autumn.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I bloody love summer, hate winter with a vengence, autumn runs a close second, at least with spring you know the comfort of some warmth is coming.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Wait till the end of November, winter just starting to grip, dark at 4.15... you won’t be in a T-shirt outside for about 38 weeks or so.

• Advertisement

I think it's ideal now.

I love the sun shining but found the searing heat of July unbearable (I'm a melanin-free Irish person - not used to/built for it; I could barely sleep), the humidity in more recent weeks utterly draining... yet this is perfect to me. It's warm but still several degrees cooler than July's run. And it's not humid. Had a lovely day/evening just wandering around and enjoying how damn great things look.

It's pretty much Autumn, and I've always found Autumn sun the nicest.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I seem to be the reverse of most people on this subject. I'm more of an Autumn/Winter person than a Spring/Summer person. I don't mind the cold and I love the long dark nights...the longer the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I wear shorts and t-shirts any time of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Couldn't agree more

Autumn and Winter begins the death and stagnation of so many aspects of life and nature, no to mention the bitter wind and cold

Spring and Summer is all about life and sound

I like late Autumn/Winter from Halloween to New Year's, but after New Year's is shyte. Yeah there is something to be said about cosy dark evenings in, or walks on a crisp morning... but months of it gets tedious.

May/June and Autumn are my favourite times of year weather-wise, as they're usually nice and moderate.

• Advertisement

Spring can be a tease though... around April get a day of sunshine around 16/17 degrees, perfect, but then it’s back to 12/13/14

Absolutely. It can be bitterly cold in April. I don't think we're out of the winter woods until about mid May.

Actually if I remember rightly we had a few snow showers first week of April this year... yep old forecast I just googled seems to back that up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Meán Fómhair and Deireadh Fómhair would suggest otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm with you OP, I'm a September to early May lover, and those other months can get fvcked. Easy to warm up, impossible to cool down. And the sunshine interferes with my gaming, so long dark days are better for me and my mutated genes.

That just references harvesting of crops in certain months in Ireland and dates back to Pagan times. In general, meteorological seasons are used as default in Ireland. The US tends to use astronomical timing for their seasons which correspond to the solstices and equinoxes.

I also came across an interesting variation called Modern mid-latitude ecological:

• Prevernal (early or pre-spring): Begins February (mild temperate), to March (cool temperate). Deciduous tree buds begin to swell. Some types of migrating birds fly from winter to summer habitats.
    • Vernal (spring): Begins mid March (mild temperate), to late April (cool temperate). Tree buds burst into leaves. Birds establish territories and begin mating and nesting.
    • Estival (high summer): Begins June in most temperate climates. Trees in full leaf. Birds hatch and raise offspring.
    • Serotinal (late summer): Generally begins mid to late August. Deciduous leaves begin to change color in higher latitude locations (above 45 north). Young birds reach maturity and join other adult birds preparing for autumn migration. The traditional "harvest season" begins by early September.
    • Autumnal (autumn): Generally begins mid to late September. Tree leaves in full color then turn brown and fall to the ground. Birds migrate back to wintering areas.
    • Hibernal (winter): Begins December (mild temperate), November (cool temperate). Deciduous trees are bare and fallen leaves begin to decay. Migrating birds settled in winter habitats.

For meteorological record keeping, the above would not be practical due to constantly changing start/end of the different seasons but it is a nice description, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Mecrab

ooooo, you're hard.

kidding, i used to wear shorts in December when i was younger but i feel the cold a lot more now!

• Vernal (spring): Begins mid March (mild temperate), to late April (cool temperate). Tree buds burst into leaves. Birds establish territories and begin mating and nesting.

Begins Mid March to late April, depending on whether you're mild or cool temperate. Then it continues till June when Estival begins:

• Estival (high summer): Begins June in most temperate climates. Trees in full leaf. Birds hatch and raise offspring.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I prefer Spring and Autumn. Dislike Summer, often too hot and always jam packed with ankle biters during the Summer school hols. In Winter we expect cold, rain, some snow, winds, and can plan and wrap up accordingly but the long dark nights can be quite dreary. Still....it doesn't seem to last that long.

Nothing we can do although I find it easier to wear appropriate clothing in the heat of Summer and the cold and wet of Winter. In Spring and Autumn you'd often need clothes for the four seasons in the one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

I know this stuff is subjective but come on. 16-19 degrees is not even that hot, a breeze and you'd be wearing a jumper.

But anyway, no fan of Irish summers either. But that's because of the hybrid rain/wind/humidity and the temperature still hot. Make up your mind so I'm not going around melting in a rain jacket sweating while it's lashing rain.

I much prefer Autumn/Early Winter.

• Advertisement

I always feel a day about 22/23 degrees is optimum heat and comfort, cooling off in the evening/night to about 18/19 degrees...

places, cites especially that are not costal that I’ve been to and thoroughly enjoy like Madrid, Rome, Milan... today are 27, 29 and 26 degrees right now respectfully... not comfortable...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

We only get about 1 or 2 months of good summer weather a year (And even then it changes by the week), and then the rest of the year is the same typical Irish weather, so I think I can appreciate the summer because it's not like we're living in Florida or Málaga. We shouldn't take it for granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

This is ideal for me too. Once it goes past the mid twenties it starts to get uncomfortable. I never go abroad during the summer. I usually wait till September/October.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Probably delighted that the DUP only got 13% in the latest poll.

May and September are great times for traveling, warm, but not stifling and slightly better value.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I usually do my travels between November and March. The Mediterranean in the summer doesn't really do anything for me mainly due to the heat. Wouldn't be in the form to do anything. You couldn't stop me when the weather is cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

We get maybe 3 to 4 weeks of really hot weather , every year, I'm glad it's getting a bit colder now, I don't like sunshine every day, I like varied weather. Many American states are breaking temperature records, eg 90 degrees plus this year, so hot its not safe to stay outside for long. I think we are are the start of climate change with so many extreme weather events this year

I’ve a cousin living in Naples in Florida, she says that mid October to April are good, early to mid 20’s but now into September just about and the next few days are according to the forecast..

you might get used to it, you’d hope anyway but jeeez. I wouldn’t like that here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

I used to be the opposite, hated winter and love summer. Recently I gained more appreciation for winter, probably because I am no longer in formal education. Nothing wrecks a season like school.

Advertisement