Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

99% drop in flu rates, 7000% increase in Covid 19 infections, what gives?

Options
2»

Comments

It’s basic maths.

Uncontrolled influenza goes 100 - 150 - 225…. 50% reduction in transmission it goes 100 - 75 - 56

Uncontrolled original Covid went 100 - 300 - 900….. 50% reduction in transmission it goes 100 - 150 -225

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

That's manflu.

Masks are no use against that and there is no known vaccine or cure and never will be. 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ohnohedidnt

I must be missing something, can somebody exain to me what the potential "conspiracy" might be?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

There s no conspiracy, potential or otherwise

Flu is down because of all the precautions taken. Covid 19 is, and always has been, a far more transmissible and dangerous virus. Anyone can play about with the stats to make headlines that appear stark.

My own view is that continuing to mask up potentially protects you short term, but I am unsure if that can then weaken your immune system as there are fewer of the "regular" bugs for it to fight off

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Arbitrary

We're not discussing conspiracies. The data doesn't check out. These waves and surges are not explained by the assumed transmission vehicle, airborne particles. That is all.

The stats on influenza demonstrate this.

• Advertisement

It has been pointed out quite a number of times, but to make it clear, Covid spreads through respiratory droplets just like influenza, Covid is much more efficient at infecting however. 3 people with influenza, original Covid and delta would on average infect 1.5, 3 and 6 people respectively. That’s why introducing controls measures has a disproportionate impact on influenza

• Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

In relation to the original concern about spread via food products... it's one thing to detect virus particles, it's another for it to be capable of transmission from the surface \ item.

If you ingested an infected product it is likely (a) dead and (b) incapable of infecting you through the digestive system.

A joint statement issued Feb. 18 by the Food and Drug Administration, the US Department of Agriculture and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention underscored “there is no credible evidence of food or food packaging associated with or as a likely source of viral transmission of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), the virus causing COVID-19.

https://www.foodbusinessnews.net/articles/18033-us-affirms-no-transmission-of-covid-19-through-food-or-packaging

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2267598-did-the-coronavirus-really-come-from-frozen-food-as-the-who-suggests/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I was responding to the prior post re conspiracy

The flu situation makes absolute sense to me. I'm not seeing anything unusual given the very strange circumstances

I'm not sure where you get the 7000% figure, but as a statistician I could "prove" it to be infinite if you wish me to. It's all do do with how figures are presented or indeed manipulated

• Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

We have a significant amount of protection already to flu, especially to B strains, if you've had one B strain you are primed for all other B strains.

Children are most vulnerable to B strains.

With A strains, we typically face several new strains every year.

Flu needs new strains to be seeded every year from Australia and South East Asia in their winter - of it won't re-infect those who already encountered that strain.

With flu we also have vaccines about multiple specific strains. Some years the strains in the vaccine are not the ones that hit us in N Hemisphere winter, and we have a bad flu season.

With the measures against covid in those countries, and restrictions on travel, quarantine etc, and the big uptake in flu vaccines here ... basically flu was suppressed at source.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Ignore, fckin new boards won't let me delete a quoted post on phone.

How does anyone create software this bad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Arbitrary

I'm not going to respond to everyone, as one poster alluded to, I won't get the answer on boards.ie. Perhaps I wasn't looking for an answer. :)

I bet you all that one day you'll remember this thread. Like the the thread a poster made who backed Trump to win the 2016 election. Everyone said he was wrong. He knew something we didn't.

I'll tap out out this note.

An outbreak occurred in China, based on contaminated milk powder. Do the math.

Good night and stay safe everyone.

The article you quoted says nothing about any outbreak being associated with the milk contamination. I've no idea what mathematics you think may be relevant here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Flu cases aren't been counted as covid cases because covid cars are counted based on the actual tests and not symptoms

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Polar101

Sounds like we'll be left waiting for the "I told you so" -moment in this consipiracy, too.

Advertisement