Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Incoming E10 fuel. Dreams dashed.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Interesting, my local pumps say it is E10 already. Seems dangerous, what would happen if you added a fuel additive to mitigate the excess ethanol, which wasnt actually there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Mine too.

Clarification needed on this.

I won't hold my breath though.

Considering the way we have been left depending on the UK website for information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭flexcon

Got chatting to a guy in Circle K at Kinsale road roundabout in Cork, and he was under the impression that for now, E10 is a gradual introduction for their Miles, and their MILES PLUS will remain E5 for now.

I don't know if they are a manager, but if I was to take a guess I would say yes.

So let's see I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Is anyone planning on using an additive in older engines? I see Millers and Wynns have ones out which say that they counteract some of the effects of the ethanol (they may well be similar to Dry Fuel, the stuff that makes moisture mix with the petrol).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭mikeecho

You do know that E10 only means that the fuel can have a max of 10.

It could be any amount from 0 to 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GIMP

I drive a 21year old Opel Astra 1.4 petrol, I wonder will E10 knacker the engine over time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MrCostington

I used Wynns the other day in my '83 Merc, just done about 5 mils on it so no issues so far. However, the nozzel was marked E5, while thiere was an E10 sticker just above where the nozzle sits, so no idea which I have!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Nope didnt know it. Seems like an odd specification.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭gymnipities

From 1 July, Eamon Ryan's new regulation says that "5.5% is prescribed as the minimum percentage volume of the renewable transport fuel known as ethanol which shall be required to be included in petrol so that petrol may be disposed of by sale or otherwise in the State by a renewable transport fuel obligation account holder."

From what I've read, it would seem to suit the oil companies to have it on the higher side because motorists have to buy more fuel for the same mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I wasn't aware of that bit about 5.5%

It just means that it'll all have to be labeled e10, as there is no label for 6 7 8 9%

A bit like in the Netherlands where petrol was either 95 or 98 Ron

Shell v-power was 97, but it had to be labeled as 95.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I'm using Lucas Oil Safeguard on all mine as they all don't get used enough to warrant "always clean fuel" in the pipes.

Advertisement