Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batman Returns

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

well they fit in with the characterisation of the gang as a former circus. i know what you mean, it is a bit campy in a way i suppose, but id have gothic etc at the top of the list

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You state that as if the flood of super hero movies that followed is a good thing :pac:

Returns for me is the quintessential Batman film, dark with a touch of campness. I find the Nolan films (and a lot of superhero films in general) take themselves way too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,847 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I still think it holds up well and still looks great, I would say it's gothic rather than really camp as well, but it is undeniably very Tim Burton.

Keaton is a great fit as batman he comes across as kind of weird in the right way.

But Pfeiffer is just brilliant, head and shoulders above the Hathaway take.

Bale is a good batman but the batman voice was always a tad laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,450 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Batman and Robin is clearly the best Batman movie ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Keaton's Batman shot and killed people so not a very good interpretation of the source material and is quite camp looking back. An improvement on earlier Batman show. The Penguin is terrible and again not like the source material.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

I agree that the flood that followed is not a good thing. I merely mentioned that as a symbol of how great and successful the Nolan trilogy was (that every studio tried to copy it).

For me, there is no comparison between the 2 series. I literally cannot watch Returns (and its 2 follow-ups) it is so bad. I can happily re-watch the Nolan trilogy (despite the dip in quality in the third)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Bring back the old Batman series , with Kapow , Bash stickers. !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Batman 1989 would be better than Batman Returns. Returns is very dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I disagree with Zimmer's score being far superior. Elfman's music was beautiful and fitted the tone of Batman Returns so perfectly that from the second you hear that opening theme, you're already hooked. I appreciate Zimmer's work but I really think it comes down to director/composer partnerships that make the movie work. Elfman's music fits Burton's style, but Zimmer's fits Nolan. I don't think either score is any more or less superior than the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

I think you are confusing Jokers. The one where River Phoenix's brother tries to play the Joker is the overrated one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Elfman's score **** all over Zimmers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭buried

All the Hans Zimmer score's for the Batman films basically sound like this = BBBBBBBBBWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

BBBBBBBWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHH

BBBBBUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMM BBUUUUUUMMM

BBBBWAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Advertisement