Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batman Returns

Options
  • 27-08-2021 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭

Can we just appreciate this movie for a second. I've seen Micheal Keaton and Batman Returns trending recently and it made me think about this movie again. Looking back on it, Batman Returns was a very impressive movie. Not forgetting the first Batman movie, but Batman Returns really hit it out of the park as a classic I think, so I thought i'd create a thread around the movie.

Some things to note about the movie.

First, the casting and acting. Michelle Pfeiffer perfectly nails Catwoman. The look, the costume, the sexiness, the quirkiness, the voice, and the attitude gave life to the character. Behind the scenes, she also trained in martial arts and took lessons in how to use a whip so she really got into that character. I have to applaud her work on that movie, her Catwoman is iconic. Danny DeVito really captured the essence of Penguin so well and I don't think they could have found a better person to play him. He looks exactly like what I would imagine the Penguin to be if he were real. Much like Michelle, he got the look, personality, and voice down so well. Micheal Keaton has always been regarded as one of the best Batmen, and I would tend to agree. We've had as many Batman actors as we have James Bonds, so i'd say Michael Keaton is to Batman, what Sean Connery is to James Bond.

Secondly, the style and direction. Tim Burton directed Batman and I think his dark gothic style really suited the Batman universe so well. There's something to be said about how beautiful the layout and architecture of Gotham City are in the movie. In the Christopher Nolan movies, Gotham looks like New York and Chicago, which is not a knock on the Dark Knight trilogy, but Buron's movies have a dark, gritty, Dickensian feel to it which is visually great to see.

Thirdly, the music. Danny Elfman composed the music for Batman and Batman Returns and arguably created the best Batman theme. The dark tones of the music really fit with Burton's style and the dark tone of the movie and add a great atmosphere.

Anyway, if there is anything else I've forgotten and someone would like to bring up, feel free to mention it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Micheal Keating nailed the role!

Gothams atmosphere was very present throughout both movies and for me is what made the movie!

It had a real graphic novel feel to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Thought it was always sh1t myself and I like all of the actors in other roles in movies, I was in love with Michelle Pfieffer from about the age of fourteen through seventeen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

'bruce wayne?....why are you dressed up like batman?'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Honestly recently had a chat with work friends about those two movies vs the Christian Bale trilogy. Keatons run as Batman was just far far superior, better visuals, better casting and much better use of characters.

I truly believe the only reason we look back on the Christian Bale movies so fondly is because Heath Ledger just happened to give such a **** amazing performance in the second movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭bdmc16

I’d tend to agree with a lot of that. Keaton for me had something special as Batman .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

And then the reflection of the glasses' frame on her face looks like cats' ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Great visually. But Burton really had no grasp (something he freely admits) or idea what to do with his titular character, whom he reduced to a secondary character in his own movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭Ardent

Oh please. Ledger's Joker is the most overrated acting performance of all time. The only reason it's revered is because he died at the time the movie came out.

In fact, the entire Nolan trilogy is overrated, particularly The Dark Knight. Watch them again if you don't believe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'd happily disagree. I suffer no delusion that Ledger was a great actor, he made quite a lot of movies that were just pure garbage and imo I'd say he only had two good movies, Batman and Broke Back Mountain.

He did however play the Joker very well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

WHERE IS SHE? WHERE IS SHE??

Bale was awful.

Bale is a great actor but his Batman is cringey enough alright, his Bruce Wayne is fine

The other performances in Bales Batman movies are great though bar Katie Holmes

Gary Oldman

Maggie Gillenhal

Guy who plays Harvey Dent

And of course Heath Ledger

The Dark Knight is a great movie ,in my top ten of all time

I really dislike Batman returns, I even prefer Batman forever ,at least it's fun , Batman returns is extremely serious and the penguin is just pitiful, he's not powerful and not in the least bit entertaining

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭IamMe33

Keaton's was the more atmospheric batman series, though I still enjoyed the Nolan triilogy.

Even his Batmobile was better, though the tumbler was a memorable take on it.

I've couldn't bring myslef to watch Val or George rasberry the Batman legacy straight after Keaton's masterpeices.

Which was the greater sacrilege?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Bale's performance as Batman wasn't that great because it seems like he felt limited by the mask that he put all his performance into his mouth, both in terms of his voice and even the way his mouth moves, especially in the second and third films. But the movies were still great because of the story and the rest of the cast.

Keaton nailed the balance between Bruce and Batman much better than Bale. Only Affleck has come close imo in terms of performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Not sure if many would agree with me

But at the time Ledgers Joker was amazing. Coupled with the fact that at the time of him being cast many thought it was a bad idea. He knocked it out of the park.

That said, and having watched The Dark Knight many times over the years I no longer see it as an amazing performance. Still good. But not the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

You're just jealous because I'm a genuine freak and you have to wear a mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

We are getting an overdose of Batman movies over the next coupe of years. Keaton is reprising his role as the caped crusader in the forthcoming The Flash movie next year. Affleck will also play his version of Batman/Bruce Wayne again in the same movie too as it deals with the multiverse. Robert Pattinson will him also in a separate non related movie too early next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Its also a Christmas movie, a far more credible one than the likes of Die Hard.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

I think Pattinson will be an excellent Wayne/Batman.

Those films are too Tim Burton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

I watched the Dark Knight Rises back a couple months ago and i turned it off after about 90 minutes. Pretty much no action, just talking and we hadn't even gotten to the part where he's stuck in a hole for about half an hour. Still a decent film but agreed that it probably hasn't aged very well. Still enjoy Hardy's performance mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

• Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Meow

I saw her first, gotta fly.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Batman Forever?

Anyone?

No?

Fair enough.

its definitely not as bad as some people make it out to be, but its not as good as the two burton movies either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Watched this again recently. It's very good, but Batman is is only in it for about 10 minutes.

The Kilmer and Clooney ones are just ridiculous.

Nolan Trilogy is brilliant, first 2 excellent, 3rd one dipped a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Batman Returns was a terrible movie. The original Keaton Batman was OK, but Returns dragged the series in the completely wrong direction (stupid/camp etc).

Nolan's trilogy is on a completely different level (especially the first 2) and is responsible for both Batman being relevant today and the flood of superhero movies we have ever since. As for the score, while Elfman's theme is great and iconic, Zimmer's scoring for the Nolan trilogy is epic and far superior.

• Advertisement

.....camp would not be the word i would use to describe batman returns

Advertisement