Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone get the feeling noone cares anymore??

Options
  • 24-08-2021 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭

Nagging feeling I have nowadays.

Seems noone cares anymore.

There is a massive shortage of manufacturing parts, furniture, timber, steel etc.

Labour shortages is a problem.

Gardai don't care that the city centre is now worst than ever.

Every city in the country is over run with drugs and crime.

Politicians don't care.

Health service a mess.

Good customer service in a lot of companies is gone to the dogs.

People just don't seem to want to help out anymore, just care about themselves.

Compared to years ago when people had to work hard for everything and things had more value.

Seems personal responsibility is gone and it someone else's fault.

Hard to get good trades people or even trades people to turn up.

Seems society doesn't care that much anymore.

Or maybe I need a holiday!!!

Comments

You okay hun? Here if you need me in my council house xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Sy Kick

Does anyone care that noone feels anymore??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

You need a holiday but you are right on a lot of what you said

Dublin is a mess... but Dublin isn't Ireland. The other cities are doing fine, dealing with their problems the way they've always done...

The Gardai are limited by the lack of political support to change anything, besides the fact that we have too many informed civilians just waiting for the opportunity to shout police abuse. If we allowed the Gardai to behave as they used to, we'd see a lot of our crime problems disappear, but we live in a reality of tolerance now.. and that includes tolerating and bending over backwards to give everyone every possible chance to change... without any realistic motivation to do so.

OP.. TBH I'd say that people nowadays care too much. So much so, that civilian oversight is everywhere and nothing can get done. Except in politics where nothing ever manages to get done, except for the negatives.

Oh, and society never cared.. We had a range of community driven groups, mostly through the RCC, but we've demolished those. Local community movements have been dying for decades, and will slowly disappear as our elderly die off. Essentially, we've gotten what the philosophers always wanted. A nation of individuals who come to together to lose their individuality to become the mob.. unthinking until they separate, whereupon they do everything to justify coming together as the mob again. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its August. Nobody does anything this month generally.

Manufacturing and supply chains globally are still recovering from being disastrously disrupted; with Chinas lockdown policies continuing to impact stuff coming from there. Outcome is likely to be more globally distributed manufacturing and less reliance on China which is a good thing.

We're still being hit by Brexit due to companies treating us as a sub-office of the UK. That's continuing to go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Uh dunno lol

The importance of China is sliding down a deep hole. They're facing too many problems with unemployment, unrest over covid, a massive debt squeeze, etc. Manufacturing and supply chains have to move away from China now, or be locked down... worse than the initial covid period.

As for it being a good thing.. meh. I honestly don't think it will matter (just as it didn't matter when China was important, unless you were political). We need a new and better way of structuring all of these processes, but that's unlikely to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I agree with the OP, there's an awful "culture of indifference" that has crept into society. The big companies obviously don't care about their customers, only their profit margins. This can be seen by the way they outsource customer service and make you go through the 9 circles of Dante's Inferno before you get to speak to an agent. The agents don't care because they're on low wages and are forced to put up with abuse from disgruntled customers. With technology taking over and everything going digital this is only going to get worse, but nobody cares because those older people who struggle with adapting to this type of change will die off soon anyway.

Same with crime. The Gardai don't care because they're hands are tied by current legislation, budget cuts and trial by social media. The teen gangs and criminals don't care because either the Gardai can't touch them in the case of teens, or the judges will give a criminal with multiple convictions another slap on the wrist and a lenient sentence. The judges don't care because they don't have to live in the same areas as these criminals, and the solicitors and barristers don't care because they're making a fortune from all those court cases.

The person being rewarded a huge sum of money from a compo case doesn't care because they've got their money and that's all that matters. They don't care that their claims will cause insurance premiums to go up and excessive health and safety legislation to be introduced. Again the solicitors don't care because it's another gravy train for them.

It's the few of us who do care that I feel sorry for because it's their mental health that's suffering because of it all. No wonder suicide cases are increasing in the developed world.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

No one gives a sh1t about anyone when it comes down to it , the sooner you grasp that reality, the better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Things were never different. You just have more time to be bombarded with (negative) information which increases anxiety levels for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I really don't care about the opinions of people who claim Dublin is some hellhole that is somehow extraordinary different to other capitol cities. It requires a lot of ignorance and lack of experience to say this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Gone are the days when we'd act in the best interests of the country or the collective. Forward thinking, the bigger picture - none of that matters now.

Nowadays its all incredibly knee-jerk and reactionary. People only care about whatever is in the news cycle.

A few weeks ago it was climate change - now, poof totally forgotten about. Nobody says a word, nobody changes their ways. Now we're back to covid - but only for so long. Afghanistan and refugees will be back in the news soon too - a few token gestures maybe, and then the news will change again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

I care about my immediate family and close friends, that's where my line is. Really couldn't care less about anybody else and I'm totally fine with that.

This fluffy notion that we all have to join hand in hand and love and be kind to everyone is just **** nonsense. Nobody operates like that in reality and if they do, they are hiding ulterior motives or skeletons in their closet.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Give a couple of examples of big picture stuff you want done. I think you will find that it will run against the self interest of others. There is no collective We, and there never was.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,192 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Joe cares!

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eastie17

Someone mentioned it already on news cycles and its true as is social media. It literally has made the world a much worse place, its a pandoras box that we opened and now cant close it.

People have developed attention spans of hamsters due to constant scrolling and clicking, I see it in teenagers, most cant read a book anymore as their brains are craving "content" every 2 seconds. This leads to politicians not having to give a **** about much except whatever the woke agenda on SM will kill them for (sexism, racism, LGTBI issues), companies not really being bothered about what you think of them etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

The system is broken and the s*it seeps into all aspects of society I think. This in turn leads to people becoming disillusioned and uncaring. The Gardaí try their best, but policing is a tough job and the justice system is weak so it just feels like their efforts are in vain, the nurses and doctors try their best, but the HSE is overburdened and limited. Doctors leave for better opportunities abroad. The politicians are part of that broken system as well. People hate and distrust politicians because they are seen as incompetent, self-serving, and spineless.

As far as customer service goes. I worked as a customer support agent a few years ago and I worked with a lot of polite and professional people but there were some individuals (such as myself) who hated the experience. Those types of jobs just make for a demotivating experience. The managers don't care as long as the company is making a profit.

Not sure what the deal is with trades people. I would say that part of it is due in part to laziness, possibly because trades tend to attract people who weren't as good in school, and were likely dossers so they just carry that attitude with them.

I do think some people do make an effort to help out though. I often see communities working to improve neighborhoods by helping out at times, and you can find a lot of helpful people, but I think a lot just want to go about their own business, and as someone above said, they just care about their family and friends but don't care about anyone outside their circle.

Social media could also be part of it, but it's hard to care when everything looks so bleak.

• Advertisement

I think humanity reached the point of critical mass a few years ago. The advent of Facebook and social media over the last decade or so definitely propelled it toward the peak of the curve. I don't think social media is the cause but the effect. People were always capable of horrible things and there's a lot of not very nice individuals out there. All social media has done is made it more evident. The irony of the pandemic is that in a way it is providing an opportunity to re adjust the balance, otherwise it's just a matter of time before there is no coming back.

I don't really have any sympathy for those institutions when they harbour as much if not more "evil" than the rest of society. Just like our previous models, The Catholic Church held sway through the stronghold of power and they were also utterly corrupt in the very heart of them. The HSE is it's own worst enemy. One of the main causes for many medical professionals not wishing to stay in the system is because the abuse within it. Professions which provide an individual with such a degree of power have a tendency to attract a particular type and the result will always be the same. The Garda and other public sector organizations' have deeply damaged individuals working in them and over time those models of behaviour become institutionalised and so difficult to root out.

We are at critical mass and the trick is, or at least the task for me is to not follow them down that path, to not allow my heart to become bitter and resentful and to keep it open, receptive, understanding and able to love or to care at least (I know that's difficult) even when that means that the bastards will keep hurting you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Absolutely agree.

Op, to me it sounds like you're copping on. Your eyes are opening. Most people go through it unless you are green as grass or a liar. No one gives a S*it. But see what you posted? this is what I believe to be the real world in response:

"There is a massive shortage of manufacturing parts, furniture, timber, steel etc" = no one cares about this. But, if coffee ran out tomorrow the moans out of people would be something else. Ie, people are care about things that directly effect them.

"Labour shortages is a problem" = as long as a person has a job they don't care if people dont.

"Gardai don't care that the city centre is now worst than ever" = just a job. clock in and clock out. "Upload the law and helping the community" are just words you officially say.

"Every city in the country is over run with drugs and crime" = It's a topic in itself, but a person doesnt care how much blood was spilled to get that powder to snort up their nose. Out of sight out of mind. Some wont even give a bollocks either way.

"Politicians don't care" = Just a job. A high paying one at that too. Tell people what they want to hear.

"Health service a mess" = Again, no one cares unless it direct effected them.

"Good customer service in a lot of companies is gone to the dogs" = People are wa*kers. I used to work in retail a couple of years ago. Most people are happy as larry when they don't have to wait at the tills or everything is in stock. Second that doesn't happen? people become scum. Imagine listening to snowflakes all days, their rights this, their rights that. blah blah. You just stop caring.

"People just don't seem to want to help out anymore, just care about themselves" = Way the world is. You'll often get virtue signaling out of people tho... "i could never do that!" etc. They're often the first ones to do such a thing lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Talk to Joe?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭BrianD3

It is human nature to be selfish. With regard to tradesmen etc., we're in a house renovation boom and they are acting as they always do in such situations. Knuckledraggers. They might change their tune when the next recession arrives.

Now on the other hand it is part of the ethos of the public service to "care" about members of the public, obviously within the scope of applicable regulations. Yet there is a disturbing lack of that care in many parts of the public service these days with, surprise surprise, the health service being the biggest culprit. The exact reasons for this (legacy or major structural problems, underfunding?, powerful vested interests, very poor management etc.) are not important to the customer who has to deal with apathetic staff, a culture of ineptitude and a service that barely functions. But the staff will get their pensions no matter what happens so who cares.

I've been dealing with the health service for over 20 years as a family member of patients and had many unsatisfactory but some good experiences. However since the pandemic arrived, with the exception of the vaccination programme, my experience has been universally bad and actually unacceptable.

Having been a public servant myself, I've seen it from the inside too. I have come across everything (and more) described in the below article. And before anyone points out the error in it, yes I'm aware that HSE employees are public servants, not civil servants. Doesn't invalidate anything that is written.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/health-news/hse-whistleblower-claims-civil-servants-14242483

i

• Registered Users Posts: 24,811 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

1000% with you re: health in particular... some very toxic individuals at senior levels, consultants and so on.

The country has had a lack on leadership, when you have absolute dose bags like and of the caliber of Varadkar and Enda running the show between them for the best part of a decade, how would things not fall to fück for the ordinary citizens. They just cared about their lot and their interests, their voter base, business people, agriculture sector/agribusiness etc...

no greater good was being served the ordinary citizens were afterthoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Judging by some of the things which happened in the past, I don't think this current time is as bad. People didn't seem to care too much when they went drunk driving and 600 people were dying on the roads every year. Or when they put their daughters into those homes where they suffered such abuse.

On the subject of the media, most of human existence has been at times when nobody knew what was happening in the world beyond their own locality. Was that a better way to live?

If someone wants to point out a golden age we should go back to, do a bit of research first, because it probably wasn't very golden.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

"Or maybe I need a holiday"

Or a good ride.

I think that's a depressingly isolationist view. You live in a community, a county, a country, a planet. I think yes your primary concern should be your close circle, but to say you couldn't care less about anybody else is a bit blinkered.

If your close circle is doing fine but all around you catch a killer disease, you will be fine in the short term but in the long run you depend on thousands of other people to do their jobs in society, to deliver food to the supermarkets, to build roads, to drive buses, catch criminals etc.

I agree with the OP. There seems to be a sense of general hopelessness these days. We all work hard but most of our money gets whisked away from us on taxes, accomodation and living costs, leaving a paltry bit of money left over to have "fun". But "fun"in the 21st Century is so expensive that you wonder if it's even worth it.

There is also a lack of agency, as one poster above notes well. The customer services are so far away from the profits of the company that they don't really have a vested interest in doing right for the customer. They view the customer as a number, a faceless entity they'll never meet. Why would they be expected to care?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

I'm not going to lie to appease anyone - I genuinely don't care and that's the truth. If the people close to me are all in good health & happy that's enough for me. Whatever troubles or issues strangers have is of absolutely no concern to me. It probably does sound bleak & isolationist but I'm happy with that setup.

Your 2nd paragraph (if such a scenario came true) would mean death eventually anyway so I don't see why suddenly caring for people outside my circle is going to change anything in that circumstance.

Advertisement