Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Driving Licence Extention and validity

• 24-08-2021 6:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭ whomitconcerns

So...my licence was due to expire in September, now due to covid its extended to next July. Which is handy...

BUT..Im living in the UK at the moment, and I cant seem to get an answer on the licence validity outside of Ireland after September. Has anyone found any info on this anywhere online?

And yes I am aware I need to get a UK licence when mine expires (as Im resident here now), however, the delays here are same as Ireland, and no licence in hand for 2/3 months is not a preference. Hence if the Irish valididty extention is valid here, makes it a lot easier.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,756 ✭✭✭ zg3409

You can call ndls and they send you out a custom letter you can carry with you that says your licence is extended. It may or may not be accepted by the police, but that's the way it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭ FileNotFound

I was under the impression that services are now back in operation and you can and should get a license updated.

Missus did hers the other day. She had been extended due to covid but received a letter telling her to update recently.

Maybe she was different as hers had been due much earlier in the pandemic

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ Madeoface

NDLS - ha. I emailed them 3 times about needing a new one as I'll be travelling abroad for work in October and driving; no response at all. Rang out when i rang (twice). Licence showing expiry in May (extn to Dec). Can't do online as don't have the mygov thing (which you can't do online now anyway - chicken and egg) and can't get through to NDLS. Pretty sure I won't be able to rent a vehicle with an 'expired' licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,888 ✭✭✭✭ Del2005

I saw a quote about HGV drivers and the extension, not sure if here or Reddit ,the licence is still valid across the EU but I can't remember about the UK.

But since a UK licence is no longer valid for an Irish resident to drive on I'd assume it's reciprocal, you'll need to check with the DVLA if you have a valid licence.

Advertisement