Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Driving Licence Extention and validity

• 24-08-2021 7:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭

So...my licence was due to expire in September, now due to covid its extended to next July. Which is handy...

BUT..Im living in the UK at the moment, and I cant seem to get an answer on the licence validity outside of Ireland after September. Has anyone found any info on this anywhere online?

And yes I am aware I need to get a UK licence when mine expires (as Im resident here now), however, the delays here are same as Ireland, and no licence in hand for 2/3 months is not a preference. Hence if the Irish valididty extention is valid here, makes it a lot easier.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭zg3409

You can call ndls and they send you out a custom letter you can carry with you that says your licence is extended. It may or may not be accepted by the police, but that's the way it is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

I was under the impression that services are now back in operation and you can and should get a license updated.

Missus did hers the other day. She had been extended due to covid but received a letter telling her to update recently.

Maybe she was different as hers had been due much earlier in the pandemic

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Madeoface

NDLS - ha. I emailed them 3 times about needing a new one as I'll be travelling abroad for work in October and driving; no response at all. Rang out when i rang (twice). Licence showing expiry in May (extn to Dec). Can't do online as don't have the mygov thing (which you can't do online now anyway - chicken and egg) and can't get through to NDLS. Pretty sure I won't be able to rent a vehicle with an 'expired' licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,853 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I saw a quote about HGV drivers and the extension, not sure if here or Reddit ,the licence is still valid across the EU but I can't remember about the UK.

But since a UK licence is no longer valid for an Irish resident to drive on I'd assume it's reciprocal, you'll need to check with the DVLA if you have a valid licence.

Advertisement