Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2021/2022 Wildcard thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,291 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Even though having 3 big hitters in unbalances the rest of your team it may be very difficult to go without Salah/Ronaldo/Lukaku. They all could fill their boots this season and are potential captaincy options almost every week. Especially difficult if you have TAA in defence also but with VVD and Matip back it looks like TAA will be delivering clean sheets and assists again this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,041 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I'm starting to think that TAA may be a stronger captaincy choice over Salah next GW.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭joeyboy11

I regret not going with Ronaldo and Lukaku together along with TAA and Salah last week on wildcard. Just went with Ronaldo and DCL and Jota instead of Lukaku and 4.5. There are plenty of enablers IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,363 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

DCL news might push me into hitting. Just did up a Lukaku & Ronaldo draft.

Sanchez

Trent Rudiger Semedo White

Salah Greenwood Raphinha Gallagher

Lukaku Ronaldo

Steele Livramento Sissoko Scarlett

Don't hate it but not convinced on shelling out for a third premium when I won't captain him most weeks 🤔

I wildcarded last week with DCL and already had Antonio. I just did two transfers for a minus 4 - Antonio and DCL to Lukaku and 4.5 forward.

it left me with the same team but Jota and trincao for Greenwood and Gallagher and funny enough i want to swap trincao to Gallagher. So it’s safe to say I like that draft a lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I just pushed the WC button. Had fully intended to wait for GW7 but the Antonio and DCL double whammy would leave me short this week, and I've come to realise that going without TAA is madness, so feel that needs to be rectified as soon as possible.

I like your team, although I'm not mad on the 2 x 4.5 option in the front 8. I know sacrifices need to be made to get the premiums, but you could go lighter in defence and get yourself one of the cheap Everton midfielders performing well. Marcal in for Semedo could be another way to fund this.

On the premium debate, your question is definitely valid, but I would look at this way:

Salah - must have, he's just the best FF asset consistently for so long now. On great form too. I don't think anyone can formulate a reasonable argument against him.

Lukaku - performing really well. No other good way into Chelsea assets (i.e. no great midfield options as an alternative points source). You will definitely need him from GW7 onwards given the fixtures, so if leaving him out you need a plan to get him in.

Ronaldo - the one I'm least sure of, given the price and the classification as a forward, and also given the fact you have a good cheap option into the United attack outside of him (Greenwood). However, given his start, his high xG, and the fact that the next 4 fixtures aren't all that bad despite what is being termed a "fixture swing", the fact he's arguably the best captain choice in GW6, I think I'd rather be on him for the WC. If he doesn't perform well over the next 2 or 3, then I think you can redistibute the funds (possibly with 3 transfers and a -4) in GW7 or 8. If he does perform well you'll be scrambling trying to get the funds in for him.

The fact we have some playing defenders in the 4.0 range, and some really top-looking cheap midfield options in Gallagher, the Everton lads, and (though a bit pricier) probably Raphinha with the upcoming fixtures, means that the 3 premium + TAA is doable without having a team where there's big holes of players who will contribute nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Haven't activated yet but with a front ,3 of Antonio/DCL/Toney I feel I need to. Initial drafts are below.

1. Leaves 0.7 itb and is fairly balanced

Sanchez/Steele

TAA/Shaw/Ayling/Marcel/Omobamidele

Salah/Raphinia/Jota/Gray/Sissoko

Lukaku/Bamford/Jiminez

2. 0.5 itb and and top heavy up front. 2 very cheap defenders also.

Sanchez/Steele

TAA/Livramento/Ayling/Marcel/Omobamidele

Salah/Jota/Gray/Dallas/Sissoko

Lukaku/Ronaldo/Maupay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Colking

I think a "threemium" is the way to go right now. I like option B. Do you think downgrading Maupay and upgrading Dallas to Raphina is better ? If you downgrade upfront to a non playing 4.5 then I'd go Williams over Omo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Colking

I'm torn as to whether I should WC or not. With a -4 I can get to (by transferring out Antonio and Calvert Lewin)

Sanchez, Gunn

Trent, Shaw, Ayling, Williams, Livramento

Salah, Jota, Raphina, Benrahma, Bissouma

Ronaldo, Lukaku, Scarlet or and other 4.5

That leaves me with .5 in the bank.

I am tempted to WC but other than bringing in Chelsea D and Wolves D I don't see a lit else I would change. I could tinker with midfield.

Any thoughts on the matter would be welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I would hold off.

That's a nice looking team for only a -4, you have the 3 premiums and you have TAA. You also have 2 Leeds players so a good position to avail of those swings. Doesn't look like major surgery is needed there at all.

I could have held off myself, but have the DCL and Antonio issue, with no good bench cover AND not having TAA pushed me over the edge.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Anyone think Vardy is an option, given his fixtures?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

I haven't thought about him till I saw this and tbh I'd find a way to get Lukaku in for the extra 1.2, Vardy will always score but just a bit steep price wise

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

The only way I can find that 1.2 is selling TAA.

So, TAA + Vardy v Lukaku + Alonso/James/6.3

• Registered Users Posts: 19,638 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

I had looked into Vardy, but in the end went for Auba because of fixtures.

I think i've talked to death about TAA, nearly everyone is saying that he is a must have, but how you invest the monies will impact returns.

Cheers Morzadec. Yeah I'm not a huge fan of two 4.5s either but think it might be worth it to get the 3 big hitters in. The main reason I want a Ronaldo & Lukaku draft now is I don't want to tie myself into a Ronaldo to Lukaku move in GW7 if Ronaldo is looking good. The fixtures turn but he could still well be fixture proof. I've changed Gallagher to Doucoure now, he was excellent last night and should play 90 mins every game whereas Gray will likely not. Have changed Sanchez to Ramsdale too but not sure I want to double up with White so that frees up a defensive spot. Tempted to go with Shaw for the next two them switch to James in GW7. Rudiger is a solid pick but I just hate spending that kind of cash on a defender with no attacking threat.

That’s very similar to the team i wildcarded into gw 4. Well except for Lukaku but I rectified that by getting him in yesterday (had the exact funds) by moving on Antonio and DCL.

Also I got Chelsea and Wolves defence but you still have time to get to them with transfers in the next few weeks.

I don’t think you need to play the wildcard at all.

I regret not getting Gallagher in last week. I had him on the watchlist but the fixtures put me off. He’s getting in the box and on set peices (not sure if all or sharing them). The match of the day interview after the west ham game he was saying he intends to get in the box a lot this year. I must actually look at his attacking stats like big chances and shots/touches in the box.

Anyway IMO his returns will keep coming and will get him in for trincao after the Liverpool game.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thats a decent draft but is there a way to keep Antonio and just ride out his one game suspension? He is cheap and can return at the same level as a premium so Id be wary of getting rid until he gets injured. Downgrading Benrahma to a 4.5 might be one way of doing it and then play 3-4-3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Pulled the WC trigger tonight. I've tried fit in 3 big hitters but I just don't like the balance and flexibility it leaves me do Ronaldo is the one who is going to miss out. Thinking of going for something like this.

Sa 4.0m keeper

TAA Marcal Semedo Duffy Livramento

Salah Jota Raphinha Gray Sissoko

Lukaku Bamford Antonio

I'll have 2.1m in the bank to play around with. I'm planning to transfer one on the Wolves defenders to a City or Chelsea defender but I can't really decide which one yet so want a few more weeks decide when their fixtures improve. I could also possibly get a City/Chelsea defender in now for Duffy or Livramento but I'm finding the 4.0m - 4.2m defenders too much good value to ignore.

I'm obviously betting big on Wolves defence and Leeds attack but it's a gamble worth taking I think.

Would appreciate any feedback.

I think your mad going without Ronaldo on WC given his ownership. He's at nearly 40% - who knows he could hit 50% before next GW.

Planned transfers can go astray when players get sent off or injured etc, so best to get the Chelsea lads in now imo - it's not as if Spurs are scoring 2/3 goals a game and will be providing Chelsea will much to worry about - Sure Kane might score but with Son injured, and defense in tatters, i think Nuno would be more concerned at keeping Chelsea out that being attack minded.

Overall i think you are a bit light on players in strong teams - no united/City players for instance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Thanks for the feedback. My waiting on Chelsea/City defender is more to do with I can't decide which to go for rather than fixture. My preference is James followed by Alonso and Cancelo but I'm just worried about rotation with them.

I take your point on being light on City/United cover thing. With City I just think there will be too much attacking rotation with DeBruyne and Foden back as well as Champions League starting back. With United I'm yet to be fully convinced yet. On the Ronaldo thing, yes it's a big risk but on the flip side if he underperforms in next gameweeks I can potentially make good gains. I'll get him later in the year when United have a great run of fixtures.

Anyway its early in the week and I'm sure my team will change between now and Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Mike Ehrmantraut

On wildcard and for now what I’ve come up with is this, with zero left in the bank.

Ramsdale (Steele)

TAA Alonso Marcal (Duffy Omombamidele)

Pogba Greenwood Jota Benrahama Kovacic

Ronaldo Lukaku (Dennis)

can’t help but feel I need to find a way to get Salah back into the team but without sacrificing TAA, Ronaldo or Lukaku. Have slight doubts over Alonso, after Tuchels comments, could be looking at Chilwell eating into him game time. Also, maybe I’m a bit too too heavy with United cover, could look at swapping out one of Pogba or Greenwood.

Any comments or suggestions welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Would agree with you re:Alonso, he is likely to be a victim of rotation quite often. Rudiger seems the most nailed on in that Chelsea defence but then you sacrifice attacking returns.

I own Greenwood and will be holding for now as he didnt feature in the CL last night. I do think he could become a rotation risk at some stage down the road but for now he is scoring & assisting so hard to move him out. I dont have Pogba but am impressed at how he has gone almost under the radar. Its hard to argue with 7 assists in 4 games and he seems determined to have a good season, with Ronaldo up top he has good outlet for even more assists and he should chip in the odd goal.

I hold Benrahma but think I will get rid in the next week or two. WH have huge fixture congestion (7 games in 23 days iirc) and he may not play every game. Im half hoping he plays up front with Antonio suspended this weekend but it wont be easy v United. Moyes probably likely to go with Bowen or Yarmalenko up front anyway.

That leaves you the Salah problem, personally I couldnt go without. If Salah is fit he pretty much starts every game, we cant say that about Ronaldo going by Oles comments. I think we are going to see a gameweek where Ronaldo doesnt feature or just gets 20 minutes and Salah hauls big, that could really hurt and you'd be then scrambling to find a way to get him in which would involve selling two players.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Crazy to go without Salah imo. It's him and either Ronaldo/Lukaku I think if you have TAA. Without TAA you can get all 3. Wouldnt like to be starting Kovacic every week either, downgrade Alonso and upgrade him to Gray/Gallagher?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭nullObjects

I was planning to dead end my team for a GW 7 wildcard but I just realised the next IB is in GW 8

A wildcard right before an international break is dumb right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Mike Ehrmantraut

If I were you, I’d either play it now or hold until gw9

Yea imo you can get away without TAA, but you can't get away with Salah - anyone with 50%+ ownership needs to be in your team.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭ngunners

Hesitating between:

A:

Sanchez (Steele)

TAA Shaw Marcal Williams (Livramento)

Salah Greenwood Raphinha Gray (Bissouma)

Ronaldo Lukaku (Dennis)

B:

Sanchez (Steele)

TAA Shaw Dias Williams (Livramento)

Salah Greenwood Raphinha Gray (Zaha)

Ronaldo Bamford (Dennis)

Leaning towards A at the minute but any advice much appreciated.

You went with the threemiums didn't you Ace? Can't remember your exact team, what formation are you using?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Your Team A is exactly my WC right now bar I have Jota, White and McArthur for your Greenwood, Williams and Bissouma. Naturally I like it given the three premiums and TAA and overall there is a good spread across the sides. 3 playing bench players too.

Fancied Jota over Greenwood myself but not much in it. Arsenal have a good run of it with fixtures and think they'll tighten up at the back. Team A for me!

Advertisement