Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People with face and neck tattoos

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

I used to enjoy playing spot the scobe on the red line luas by keeping an eye out for the lads with a pair of joined hands clutching rosary beads tattooed on their neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Call me old fashioned but I don't like them. I've seen some neck and face tattoos that make the person look dirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭IamMe33

Apparently the more tattooed an individual is the more likely to be sexually promiscuous or a potential drug user they are perceived.

Men generally don't find those traits attractive in a prospective long-term partner, while women are more generally likely to find a 'bad boy' more attractive.

On plain aesthetics I would prefer a non-tattoed women anyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭touts

Only advantage to them is they make recruitment much easier. If I see an applicant with a neck or face tattoo I instantly know they are prone to stupid decisions and not someone I want in my employment. So the interview process becomes much easier.

I'm not against tattoos in general. Some of my staff have them. But in places that they are easily hidden from view with long sleeves etc. If you are stupid enough to decide to get one on your face then I don't want you making decisions that impact on my business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

I've no issue with them and some are very well done, some look like you joined the mafia, but sure what business is it of mine. On a heavily tattooed person, I wouldn't bat an eyelid or think much about it other than maybe look twice if it's an interesting piece. I'd probably notice it more on someone younger who doesn't have many other visible tattoos. I mean, if you're a scatty 18 year old getting your first tattoo then don't get it on your fcuking face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

Wouldnt cause me to draw any conclusion, might point me in a direction.

Mr full body 69 tatoos above, that might suggest a desperate cry for love, among other possibilities.

Tattoos aside that is some awful facial hair. Overall crime against style in my own little opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

MY wife of 4 years is heavily tattoed. Everywhere apart from her hands, neck and face. After 7 years with her, I'm still finding ones I didn't know she had. She works in a very respectable civil service job in a public-facing role.

I have 4 large visible tattoos and I work in financial services as an IT manager. I think your generalization might be a little off the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I've no desire to have one myself but I do like tatoos, no issue with them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

No problem with tattoos at all but face tattoos just gives the impression of poor judgement and poor decision making. Depends on their chosen career of course - I'd think differently about face tattoos on a punk musician compared to what I'd think about face tattoos on someone who wanted to work in finance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭IamMe33

II z

I don't believe so.

I spoke of a general perception in comparing tattooed people to non-tattooed people.

Whether the bias is unconcious or concious it does exist in general.

All else being equal, if a stranger had to make a guess between a tattooed and non-tattooed subject which one would more likely to be more promiscous or dabble in any drug, they would more often pick the tattooed individual. Assume that each person being presented to the guesser were similar in every other way and the guesser had nothing else to go on other than their appearance.

This initial surface comparison would be just that - a general first impression bias due to no other available information other than appearance.

It was not a blanket condemnation of the more tattoos, the greater deviant behaviour.

Nor was it an assertion that tattooed people are dismissed on first sight and thereby prevented from ever attaining respectibilty or attracting others.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

We all have different preferences and lifestyles. Id definitely be generally more attracted to a heavily tattooed woman but wouldnt have any issues if they didn't have any either. My fiancé has maybe about 10. I have some tattoos, some that can't be hidden and also have a good job and never had an issue getting a job but I do work in the creative industry so its probably viewed differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

Because you instinctively know they're more likely to be a criminal or an attention seeker. You instinctively know that they don't have a very high view of themselves. They're also more likely to smoke... and yes, people who smoke are more likely to be a**holes. The reason they think the tattoo looks good on them is because they lack perspective!

I think one comedian said it best.... "you don't put bumper stickers on ferraris"!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

Yes. That's why Robbie Williams doesn't have one!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I think this tattoo is called a Moko , it defines genealogy and lineage in Maori tribes .

Pretty much accepted in NZ society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

They're for people who want to stand out or be different but lack the talent to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I was in city centre last week (Dublin) and saw an old guy, around 50, tattoos all over his neck, then what seemed like 20 different piercings on his face and to complete it off he had those implant yokes that makes someone look like a Klingon.

I questioned why to myself. Like each to their own. I get that. The one thing you truly own in this world is your body but it was excessive. Couldn't help but think he craves attention some how. Like he feels he doesn't fit in the world or something. I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

You got to laugh when someone with a neck or face tattoo goes crying discrimination to the papers when they dont get a job that isn't a barista or hairdresser position.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

People's views on tattoos is changing - it wasn't particularly acceptable to have any tattoos 50 odd years ago , and on women even more so - these days no one bats an eyelid at tattoos on men or women -

The exception kinda is face and neck - ( and hands a bit ), but it's much more common now anyway ,

I suppose in a few years time it'll be all commonplace ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

I hate tats with a passion, and a little extra passion for those on face and neck. A very nice young lady friend of my sons came over yesterday and she had one on the nape. Nothing to do with the person in most cases, but tattoos are plain repulsive to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Mr Burny

Sign of deviancy or mental derangement. Such people aren’t to be trusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sesame

I agree with the idea that in a subconscious level they are trying to make themselves unemployable. It's not easy for me to understand why people get tattoos in the first place. I haven't heard a convincing argument for them and haven't wanted one myself. I suspect tattoos and face tattoos may be linked to low self esteem.

" l'm unemployable without needing to demonstrate or try a job as no one will employ me in the first place."

Replace job with relationship, any kind of success, etc.

It's self preservation to cover up a lack of self belief. And in a permanent manner. Facial piercing do the same and as a less permanent fixture but for the same reasons as on a subcious level a teenager goes through a phase of thinking they are not valued and being themselves isn't enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

I don’t mind tattoos in a general sense but those new neck sleeve ones are fvcking ridiculous, I can’t take anyone seriously who has one of them. Just want to scrub the **** down with wire wool and domestos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

I’m looking forward to the day when a decent percentage of the population gets the white of their eyeballs blackened. Looks smart. It’s just a matter of time before it gets normalized until someone comes up with another clever way to stick out from the crowd. Nowadays, every little sweet sixteen and her brother wants to look like a biker or a pirate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,469 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I know a woman in the health care sector who's quite heavily tattooed, but not where they are visible when she's in her uniform. At the weekends it's different. Personally I'm not really into them but it would affect how attractive I found them wouldn't affect my opinion of someone who had tattoos visible.

Post edited by cj maxx on

I noticed that loads of cops in England have neck tattoos. Lots of sleeves going on, too.

Seems a bit disingenuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

I don't like it. I have a conservative streak. My advice is don't get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

It just shouts 'Scumbag'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

People keep talking about them making you unemployable. its simply not true. In some sectors for sure at the moment anyway but there's loads of areas where it doesn't matter at all. As I sit here thinking of all the people I personally know that are heavily tattooed, I can't think of 1 that's unemployed. Not everyone is the same, not everyone thinks the same, not everyone wants the same careers and jobs. Il list some jobs as an example where people would have no issues with employment and tattoos.

Tattoo & Piercing studios (Obvious), Hairdressers & Barbers, Beauty Industry, Artists, Designers, Musicians, Chefs, Trades such as builders, plumbers, electricians etc.

1 of the main guys in Nasa is covered in tattoos. As for why people do it, its something you'll probably never understand because you clearly think in a different way. We all do. You're not wrong to not want them yourself, just as people who do want them are not wrong, its just a personal preference that harms nobody else and the bigger issue is people being judgemental of how others look.

Advertisement