Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People with face and neck tattoos

• 23-08-2021 5:49pm

What do you think of folk who have tattoos on their face or neck? I am usually pretty progressive in my thinking but I instantly dislike a person if I see tattoos on their face or neck and I’m not even sure why. What do you guys think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Each to their own...people have their own individual taste about clothes, hairstyles, footwear and tatoos are another way of expressing personality etc. I think tatoos have been popular for a while now. Wear whatever makes you feel good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I often wonder what they'll look like when the person is old and with wrinkles

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

I think to have a face or neck tattoo you should be decently covered.

I think it looks weird when its all they have,and no tattoos anywhere else.

But each to their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

There is a greater chance I will get on with someone with a tattoo than the person who makes shallow judgements tbh but either way, I would still get to know either before making a call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I can somewhat understand someone getting an amazing piece of art tattooed on their body but I usually privately question the sanity or sobriety of those who have little scribbles or graffiti on their faces like Post Malone etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Exactly! I blame Lil Wayne for starting that whole craze of modern day "mumble rappers" with scribble ridden faces resembling a school detention desk. It makes them look like low IQ crackheads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Seriously??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

"Sawdust between the ears" as my uncle would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Not exactly per OP, but these days, half the cooking videos I see on social media seems to feature people with tattoos on their hands.

You see shot of a nice steak or something, and then all of a sudden there is a close-up shot of someone's inked hands moving all over the food - bleurgh 🤢

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

I'm not a fan of tattoos on face, neck or head, but I wouldn't be that shallow to instantly dislike someone that has them!!! What if a member of your family came home with one? Would you instantly dislike them???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

one thing I dislike is hand tattoos on people handling food. It just looks like their hands are dirty or at least dirt could be hidden by the tattoo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Doesn't bother me at all. As someone else said, I'd be far more likely to hang out and get with someone plastered in tattoos than with someone who'd judge them.

That said, I've gone off them in general. Don't like my own anymore and would prefer my girlfriend not get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭conorhal

It's a subconscious (or occasionally quite conscious) F.U. to the man that signals 'I ain't ever doing no customer facing till jockey job like the plebs EVAA!!

That or a form of body dysmorphia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,164 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

that's an old way of thinking, however some people might feel they over invested in tatoos when they are older!

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

I'm considering this one. I want to meet new people and I feel it would be an excellent conversation starter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Homelander

Don't mind well done neck tattoos on people that are already well-inked, but wouldn't be a fan of face tattoos or cases where people decide their first tattoo should be their partners name across their neck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,203 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It hasn’t anything to do with being progressive or otherwise. Disgust is an emotion you can’t control any better than anyone else can’t. Face and neck tattoos have a more striking, or quite literally ‘in your face’ impact as they’re just not very common, and are commonly associated with ne’er do well types who don’t have any qualms about receiving attention, whether it be positive or negative.

I’m more concerned about the quality of the art and the intricacy of it as that tells me a lot more about a person than just wherever the tattoo is located. I’m not immediately put off by face and neck tattoos, but barcodes, cocktail glasses, bible verses, inspiration quotes or dedications to their relatives… that’s the kind of tattoos I find disgusting, a waste of good ink, as it were 😒

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

It screams Narcissism. Especially on the face

"Look at me, look at the depth of meaning behind my cool Tattoo"

C'mon pal, it looks stupid. See a psychologist instead of spending all that money on that crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,796 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’d just come straight out with it... “ dude, how do you become a kacist ?”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

For me to get a tattoo would be like putting a bumper sticker on a Ferrari 😐️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I wouldn't judge them, as in I wouldn't dislike them or presume they are a "type". As others say, I've shared better craic with heavily tattooed people than D4 heads in polo shirts.

But I do tend to cringe when you see some guy in his 20s going around with them. You change so much over your lifetime, especially up to 35/40. Tattoos often seem like a really special and important thing to do at the time, but give it a decade and your love for it can fade. That's fine when it's a design on your arm or your back, you can just ignore it most of the time.

But on your face & neck...it's always there.

Could be just me. It's the same as those lads who get their tongue split or who get their eyeballs tattooed. To me, it's like they don't understand that these are permanent, irreversible changes. It's not a pair of trousers that you like the look of, or even a nose ring that you can just get rid of when you don't like it any more. Once it's done, it's with you till the day you die no matter how you feel about it at that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,203 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Assuming they like their family members in the first place… 🤔😁

Sure it’s shallow, but there’s nothing wrong with making shallow judgements about other people. I think you’ll find that how they are treated, is more important to most people, than whether or not anyone likes them.

If a family member did come home with a face or neck tattoo out of the blue, I would wonder had they lost the plot. Seems a very unlikely thing to happen out of the blue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I think some neck tattoos are fine but a face tattoo is a little overdoing it. I've never seen a face tattoo that made me think "Wow, that looks so cool." Most of them just look awful and sad if you as me. As a personal preference, I think the arms, the legs, and the back are the best places to get them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

I don't judge them really but I do wonder why they did it I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

If this quy is not some kind of astute businessman or rock star he's effectively sentenced himself to a lifetime of menial work or unemployment. I don't dislike tattoos but I'm not crazy about them either. I certainly don't automatically dislike a person who has tattoos on their face or neck. But I would just think that they are not my type of person.

I don’t like tattoos in general but face, head and neck are a mistake IMO. They just haven’t realised it yet.

Hand tattoos aren’t great either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Face and neck tattoos are just the ticket for someone with little to no personality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

I used to enjoy playing spot the scobe on the red line luas by keeping an eye out for the lads with a pair of joined hands clutching rosary beads tattooed on their neck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Call me old fashioned but I don't like them. I've seen some neck and face tattoos that make the person look dirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭IamMe33

Apparently the more tattooed an individual is the more likely to be sexually promiscuous or a potential drug user they are perceived.

Men generally don't find those traits attractive in a prospective long-term partner, while women are more generally likely to find a 'bad boy' more attractive.

On plain aesthetics I would prefer a non-tattoed women anyday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Only advantage to them is they make recruitment much easier. If I see an applicant with a neck or face tattoo I instantly know they are prone to stupid decisions and not someone I want in my employment. So the interview process becomes much easier.

I'm not against tattoos in general. Some of my staff have them. But in places that they are easily hidden from view with long sleeves etc. If you are stupid enough to decide to get one on your face then I don't want you making decisions that impact on my business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

I've no issue with them and some are very well done, some look like you joined the mafia, but sure what business is it of mine. On a heavily tattooed person, I wouldn't bat an eyelid or think much about it other than maybe look twice if it's an interesting piece. I'd probably notice it more on someone younger who doesn't have many other visible tattoos. I mean, if you're a scatty 18 year old getting your first tattoo then don't get it on your fcuking face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

Wouldnt cause me to draw any conclusion, might point me in a direction.

Mr full body 69 tatoos above, that might suggest a desperate cry for love, among other possibilities.

Tattoos aside that is some awful facial hair. Overall crime against style in my own little opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

MY wife of 4 years is heavily tattoed. Everywhere apart from her hands, neck and face. After 7 years with her, I'm still finding ones I didn't know she had. She works in a very respectable civil service job in a public-facing role.

I have 4 large visible tattoos and I work in financial services as an IT manager. I think your generalization might be a little off the mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I've no desire to have one myself but I do like tatoos, no issue with them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

No problem with tattoos at all but face tattoos just gives the impression of poor judgement and poor decision making. Depends on their chosen career of course - I'd think differently about face tattoos on a punk musician compared to what I'd think about face tattoos on someone who wanted to work in finance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭IamMe33

II z

I don't believe so.

I spoke of a general perception in comparing tattooed people to non-tattooed people.

Whether the bias is unconcious or concious it does exist in general.

All else being equal, if a stranger had to make a guess between a tattooed and non-tattooed subject which one would more likely to be more promiscous or dabble in any drug, they would more often pick the tattooed individual. Assume that each person being presented to the guesser were similar in every other way and the guesser had nothing else to go on other than their appearance.

This initial surface comparison would be just that - a general first impression bias due to no other available information other than appearance.

It was not a blanket condemnation of the more tattoos, the greater deviant behaviour.

Nor was it an assertion that tattooed people are dismissed on first sight and thereby prevented from ever attaining respectibilty or attracting others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

We all have different preferences and lifestyles. Id definitely be generally more attracted to a heavily tattooed woman but wouldnt have any issues if they didn't have any either. My fiancé has maybe about 10. I have some tattoos, some that can't be hidden and also have a good job and never had an issue getting a job but I do work in the creative industry so its probably viewed differently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

Because you instinctively know they're more likely to be a criminal or an attention seeker. You instinctively know that they don't have a very high view of themselves. They're also more likely to smoke... and yes, people who smoke are more likely to be a**holes. The reason they think the tattoo looks good on them is because they lack perspective!

I think one comedian said it best.... "you don't put bumper stickers on ferraris"!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

Yes. That's why Robbie Williams doesn't have one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I think this tattoo is called a Moko , it defines genealogy and lineage in Maori tribes .

Pretty much accepted in NZ society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

They're for people who want to stand out or be different but lack the talent to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I was in city centre last week (Dublin) and saw an old guy, around 50, tattoos all over his neck, then what seemed like 20 different piercings on his face and to complete it off he had those implant yokes that makes someone look like a Klingon.

I questioned why to myself. Like each to their own. I get that. The one thing you truly own in this world is your body but it was excessive. Couldn't help but think he craves attention some how. Like he feels he doesn't fit in the world or something. I dunno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,512 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

You got to laugh when someone with a neck or face tattoo goes crying discrimination to the papers when they dont get a job that isn't a barista or hairdresser position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,566 ✭✭✭Markcheese

People's views on tattoos is changing - it wasn't particularly acceptable to have any tattoos 50 odd years ago , and on women even more so - these days no one bats an eyelid at tattoos on men or women -

The exception kinda is face and neck - ( and hands a bit ), but it's much more common now anyway ,

I suppose in a few years time it'll be all commonplace ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
Advertisement