Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thoughts on this please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ElvenAl

Especially the idea of potential transplant patients being left to die because they have not been vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Immediate thought?

*clicks link*

“Oh. The O’Mahoney madser. Close window”.

Didn’t even bother with ‘click to unmute’...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Haven't people had to be vaccinated for years now? Measles etc like?. My extremely basic (willing to be corrected or bolstered) understanding is that any serious illness makes something like an organ transplant operation too risky to even attempt

• Registered Users Posts: 81,112 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If we adopt this we should also check that any smoking related illness is only treated in people who give up smoking so we are not similarly pissing money in to the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,112 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes agreed, should be a scheme to give every house in the country a free €500 exercise bike for anyone who wants one, offer the obese €100 in cash for each stone they lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Indeed, Covid wouldn't be much of a problem if we were a healthier nation

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Best I can tell is that it's a post with a link to a video in it. The video is hosted on youtube where anyone can post almost any kind of video. Above the link to the video appears to be a synopsis of the video in the link below it. Taking a holistic view of the post, there's an implication that there is a letter from a hospital which can be viewed in a video. This is quite brave of the creator of the post as video is not the traditional medium used for sharing the contents of a letter. Letters are usually shared through through the post or more recently, in an electronic format such as email or as an image or text on a social media post. Publishing a letter via video is quite uncommon although it's not as uncommon to see them in a type of video called Reaction Videos.

Reaction Videos are a kind of meta-video whereby the creators of such videos take some piece of created content, often another video, and react to it. Reactions can include but aren't limited to funny faces, animations onscreen, expressions of incredulity and sound-effects. Often derided by actual content creators for their ease of production and reliance on the work of others, these reaction videos are nonetheless quite popular with children and poorly developed adults. As the population of children and poorly developed adults is such a marketable demographic, such creators have been able to sustain youtube careers by making nothing but reaction videos.

So, to summarise my thoughts on this post, it's not too bad an attempt when we consider that the poster is still quite inexperienced. I found that it lacked any opinion from the OP which to be fair, it looks like he noticed that himself and made an attempt offer some commentary of his own in a subsequent post. That's beyond the scope of this opinion, however, which is confined to the post on which thoughts were requested. In terms of positives, I liked that the post had a link to a video and some text describing it. I would have preferred to see some of the actual text in the post in the form of an image or even the text itself but a link to a reaction video is till a good effort when inexperienced users often have difficulty with hyperlinks.

Finally, to summarise my summary, I would rate this post as a good attempt from a beginner. It could have included more information but it did contain a link which is still something even if it demands work from the reader. My score is 2 out of 5 which may seem low but I'm sure I'll be seeing 5/5 posts from this user in the future when they get more of them under their belt.

Post edited by mcmoustache on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

That partly political broadcast address, brought me straight back to this..... The Minister for Hardship, from Hall's Pictorial Weekly.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bigmac3

Thoughts are, this is a great idea. Why would you want unvaccinated transplant patients on a ward with immunosuppressed people?

also your one is nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I dont know anything about the organ transplant system. I did see this shared be DeVore on twitter though.

The thread is worth a read, its only a few tweets long.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bigmac3

Additional thought, your one in the video is a bit thick. It’s Beaumont, not Beaumount.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

My understanding of this may be flawed, but is the thinking not that an organ transplant patient has to take immunosuppressive drugs to prevent organ rejection, thus putting an unvaccinated patient in this position in the middle of a pandemic would be irresponsible?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭sioda

This did make me stop and think.

As someone who lost a family member waitng for a organ I can say that of told to inject poison to stay on the list they would have.

But more to the point a replacement organ has to be given to the person who has the best chance of recovery and living thus I would see a c19 vaccine being a tick in their favour.

The use of the term medical apartheid is ridiculous in this case and actually the term itself just angers me as I feel it lessens actual apartheid suffers that I predominantly associate with South Africa and other nations. Yes I'm aware the word can me used otherwise.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Haven't watched but I understand the detail from other sources.

Have a friend who is waiting on a transplant.He has been injected.He was done early on in the programme.

I can absolutely see where Beaumont are coming from. Maybe it should be clarified whether it only applies to people who are refusing the vaccines vs those who cannot get it for whatever reasons.

It's murky enough ground to be on though.Bit questionable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

My initial thought was:

Unrelated I know but same vibes lol. Then I thought to myself, I'd like to know how many people are out there with an underlying condition (One of the risk factors for death from covid) as in a serious health problem that requires an organ transplant are refusing to be vaccinated? I'd imagine any sane person who knows they are in the high risk of death category because of their illness would opt not to be vaccinated. I dont know the figures but I'd wager its a very small amount of people who are being used as a propaganda tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Has your thread gone the way you wanted OP? 😂

Advertisement