Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social changes over the last 40 to 50 years. Good and bad.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

50 years ago travellers lived in utter poverty on the roadside and did work for farmers. Repairing metal and handling horses.

Tinker was not a dirty word at all.

If they were begging outside Mass well they needed the money. Maybe that money was being taken by the husband for booze but they were not living the high life.

Somewhere this changed and now the farmer fears them. And the traveller who knocks on your door asking for a little help likely is scoping out your place.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Farm mechanisation and plastic containers happened. They adapted, but not through education and getting a proper job like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

It's sad that in a lot of estates now there seems to be very little community interaction, especially in middle class estates. Where I grew up in Limerick there was always a good sense of community in my area. These days it's rare to see people mixing with their neighbors. The person next door has become a complete stranger.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

Not sure if that is true. I live in a middle class estate in a middle class area. All the kids play together on the green. I catch up regularly with the adults. There are a lot of social events where the whole estate gets together. It seems this picture of loss of community is painted frequently. I don’t know if I’ve been lucky but the only time I didn’t know my neighbours well was when I rented apartments.

The majority of ireland lived in utter poverty 50 years ago

Though i remember,travellers camping in old farm yard here,they were ould lads all in their 80s/90s,nice blokes,who gave money into neighbours as they just had a baby at the time...

something you simply dont see among travellers anymore is pensioners,or ability to relate to locals,its only accident of birth anyone could be one,(or indeed royalty for that matter)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ You could be both: King Of The Travellers! 🙂

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

50 years ago was only 1971, utter poverty, you make it sound like 1871.

Emigration granted was a huge problem and the troubles made it pretty grim, but a single wage earner being able to buy a house was a reasonable expectation. Cant even do that now.

People weren't throwing money around but no hoards living rough on the streets and no one was starving.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Tattoos were much more scarce and mostly associated with criminals.

I had a friend who's Dad had a few small tattoos on his arms. I remember a sparrow maybe an anchor and maybe a cross or something else. Sure it was talk of the estate for a while. All sorts of speculation as to his past. Crazy to think of now.

Advertisement