Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social changes over the last 40 to 50 years. Good and bad.

Options
  • 12-08-2021 7:20pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭

There have been some pretty big social changes over the last 40 to 50 years. Even if we only take Ireland into account there are some major changes with how the world works, peoples perceptions of how the world works and how the world actually works.

Let's discuss.

Some are obvious and not very controversial, like the attitude to smoking indoors. I remember being in McDonalds for my birthday one year and there were little foil ashtrays on most of the tables. I don't personally recall smoking in cinemas or on flights but my parents do. I do recall smoking in pubs though. Kinda crazy to think about now but it was the norm in my teens and early 20's.

Seatbelts were rarely in the back seats of cars. My folk would insist we sat right back in the seats at the back, like it would really have changed the outcome of a high speed crash but hey, that was the times.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭markw7

The demise of the Catholic Church has been a positive in my eyes, unfortunately though it seems to have been replaced with consumerism/greed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

If you were a woman in the civil service and institution like banks, you had to resign if you got married - it wasnt optional

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

My mother is seventy two ,she always says it was the daughters who got sent to school while the sons went out to work from a young age

Lot of myths about how awful women had it until about ten years ago

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,349 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not sure if you're challenging the point being made? my mother, and two of my aunts, were forced out of their jobs when they got married.

Well I certainly don't think that was a good policy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

But what he said wasn't a myth? It was very common. I had a granny who was forced out of her job at RTE when she married.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,349 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, handy hint; don't suggest it was a myth.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Dogs not allowed to roam free.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Certain items are much more common like phones even land line phones were rare and cars too. Many families didn't have them. Most shops didn't open on Sundays and no bank cash machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

I got married in 1979, shortly afterwards we decided that my wife should make some change to her Tax free allowance. When she got to the desk, she was told that her husband had to do it for her. Mrs N was not one bit pleased, let me tell you. I remember going in there, and saying how ridiculous this was, and the tax person agreed with me, but rules is rules.

This had nothing to do with my 'account' or her 'account' it was simply that as a wife she could make no changes whatsoever. But I could have taken ALL her TFA if I wanted - without her permission (so I was lead to believe).

when we bought our second house 4 years later, there was all sorts of paper work to be signed to protect the wife from having the house sold from under her by an unscrupulous husband. Apparently it was a very recent development. I don't recall having to do this in 1979. It may have been called the Family Home Act or something that sounded very like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Smoking in pubs banned....

politicians across the political spectrum, people in healthcare, charities and the majority of the general public weighed in behind the idea and showed resolve against the usual vested interests who wanted healthy tills over healthy patrons ...

if you liked to go to the pub to enjoy a drink 3 nights a week you were / would be breathing in vast volumes of carcinogenic smoke in a poorly ventilated environment..

a good positive healthy change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Good: Social media to an extent. It helps you stay in contact with people all over the world as someone who's lived abroad for a large part of my life it's good.

Bad: Social media. It can be a cesspool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Good: greater sexual liberality, much more wealth, much wider diversity in society.

Bad; entitlement, wastefulness, and trial by social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

Many women resigned from their jobs because it allowed the couple to reclaim all the tax the women paid in that year. For the most part, it wasn't compulsory except in certain parts of the civil service. At that time the tax system gave married men double allowance on the basis that they were the only earner. The tax refund was usually used as a deposit on a house.

It was simply a way of manipulating the tax system

• Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You've had 4 a counts now of involuntary redundancy and yet were continuing the optional line

Bizarre

I said something different

That the narrative that women had it far tougher than men until quite recently is in many ways a myth

Thread isn't about " past civil service policy "

Post edited by Mad_maxx on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,750 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Good: abolition of corporal punishment in school, and frowned on in the home at the very least.

Bad: parents making a bags of parenting, being buddies with them, giving in to demands leading to a generation of selfish entitled adults.

i remember when i was a teen, condom machines were being crowbarred of the walls of pub toilets.

and until only a few decades ago, buggery was a criminal offence, so to be a practicing gay man was a criminal offence. But obviously not to be a practicing lesbian.

another big societal change was that of women returning to work (and related to that, the rise of the two car household)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Good:

A lot more rules and policies that cause harm or distress have to be defended in public and court, and a higher proportion get changed. Less of a requirement to beg a TD to involve themselves.

The affected people found it much harder to get the attention of the policy creators and their managers. Even viewing a paper copy of the rule involved a battle with a bureaucrat that considered themselves as a bouncer / gatekeeper / St Peter guarding the gates.

Bad:

The cost and complexity of maintaining any community space / social & commercial premises grows faster than income. Empty flats, shops and scrubland are held as investment vehicles enjoying tax breaks and rising paper asset value allowing the owning funds to be wasteful and heedless of whether they are vacant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I think you got a financial payment when being turfed out of the civil service?

Not that it makes it acceptable.

I think the worst societal change was, inadvertently, women coming into the workplace. We were much better off, socially, when most households only needed 1 member to be working full time to financially support the household.

Its a pity that the drive to push women into the workplace wasn't accompanied by a drive to remove men from the workplace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭Tow

The difference was one wage/salary was enough to buy a house and provide for a family back then. Now with two decent jobs a couple cannot afford to buy a house, especially in Dublin.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭Tow

The banning of bedsits about 20 year ago caused a big change. The idea was to improve the quality of housing, but removing the bottom end of the market is part of the reason we have housing problems now.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

It happened to girls too. My mother was taken out of school on her 14th birthday and started a full time job in a factory the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

Freedom of speech... That's long gone, living in a free society to say what you want 20 years back was great. We are so controlled what we are allowed to say these days. Isn't it crazy how people today make such a big deal over things that were normal before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Well it was prescribed in law until the early 70s for civil service, and banks etc mirrored the policy, so the tax thing while being a nice bonus

Unequal pay as standard was another thing. Came across this attachment ages ago which is terms and conditions for a post in rte in 1947, with different rates of pay for a man and woman. There is a marraige ban clause at the bottom as well

• Registered Users Posts: 15,750 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Like in a developing country? To get hit by cars and attack livestock?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

I think part of the reason for the marriage ban was to try distribute the meagre resources of the State at bit more fairly. So that you wouldn't have civil servants marrying up and living in secure, relatively paid jobs with everyone else in grinding poverty. There was no ban on the woman working in a factory after marriage if she wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

My mother was forced out of her job once married as well. She'd never admit it, but it was a great release for her. Never liked the daily grind of the 9to5 or answering to a boss. Much preferred staying at home / domestic duties. How many married people slaving today would grab the opportunity to get off the threadmill in their 30s and still live a comfortable life, if one salary still allowed for that.

Lads left school and went to work from a young age because the majority didn't have the option to go on to third level education so what was the point in continuing their schooling if they were 'ready' to work and start bringing home money and contributing?

Women had less options for work so more probably stayed on.

Depending how far you're going back, housework or the role for women in the house was not an easy task. There were often a lot of children in a small house, no washing machine, no heating, food mostly prepared from scratch..it would have been go go go 24/7.

Most kids expect to go to on to third level now..that is a big change and we are still in the process but probably last generation of parents who were not raised with a significant importance placed on education as they were hardly going to be encouraged towards something that was out of reach.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

The declaration of Travellers as an ethnic minority just gave them a licence to act as if the law of the land does not apply to them.

Advertisement