Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour WhatsApp groups.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Have to agree, I just find it extraordinary, whatever about being on social media platforms generally but inviting your neighbours in your personal space just really strange.

I'm in a work WhatsApp group and it's been on mute for about 4 years, the Shyte on it is just bizzare, rarely work related, mostly unamusing codswallop, I've not actually posted or responded to a single post.

Sure I use WhatsApp with personal and close friends, a bit of craic etc but neighbours 🤔 not on your nelly 😉

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

I can see some merits but most easily covered in a text alert system. My point I suppose is a WhatsApp group as you mention can and do become a free for all and open to abuse and malicious gossip.

Just in relation to the lockdown, we did have a community group with volunteers to assist with deliveries for vulnerable people, managed from local Post office/ supermarket again managed entirely through the text alert system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

There is no drama though, that stuff tends to happen in private chats.

Most people know its a bad look to out yourself publicly as an asshole.

Also we don't have community text alerts, not sure how common they are?

But you do what works for you :)

I'm sure your own group is fine but I guess based on this thread, not always the case. Text alert systems seem to be more a rural thing, I'm originally from Dublin, have lived in Midlands for 20 years and very common here, most areas also have prominent road signage to highlight there existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

You are going to call the Gardai to investigate a neighbourhood watsapp group? I very much doubt the platform is been used to bully anyone. The groups are for sharing information and for connecting with people in the neighbourhood who maybe work difficult hours etc. The real gossip is done face to face and never in these groups. If you don't have access to the group then why are you making accusations about what is discussed?

If you don't have access and are not part of it why do you care what is been said in them?

They are a valuable resource for a lot of people and make it easier to stay in touch with the local area without having to go to mass and stand down the back. If people dont want to join they dont have to.

If you do try and maybe you do get it shut down, it will be backup & running in a couple of days under another name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,298 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Well a big part of it is most people I know find the text alert thing useless.

There's a black VW Golf accting suspiciously in the area, selling stuff, etc.

With what's app an image is shared instantly with people.

With text alert you normally don't get notified until the car is gone out of the area.

Just wondering what are the legalities around sharing such an image anywhere.

If useless describes a dramatic decrease in burglaries in my own area, primarily led by the use of text alert systems, which also involve local Gardai, so be it, but many would disagree completely, including me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,040 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

If such an image is taken in a public place it's almost certainly legal to share it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,298 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I don't really know to be honest.

Sometimes it's just what people just type the suspicious behavior they see.

I think the Gardai put a lot more work into operation Thor(I think) and similar operations which helped reduce robberies/etc.

Personal I think people are more vigilant and security cautious now also.

I just find text alert a very slow system.

We're not helping the OP either with is having this discussion.

Advertisement