Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin mother shares footage of offered council house

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

We can criticise this woman till we’re blue in the face but it won’t change anything.

Nobody knows her (I’m assuming), we’ve no idea what her circumstances are. All I know is that if I was in a similar situation, which luckily I am not, I’d want the best for my kids too. Living in the kip that’s shown in her video would not be a great place for a young family, I fully understand her criticism.

Best of luck to her and her family, I hope she gets a decent place soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You’re not paying for her house. The property is already paid for, she doesn’t own the property, the council does, she’s only being accommodated there, or would have been at least had she not highlighted the fact that the property just isn’t suitable for human habitation. So you’re paying into a system where the money is being spent on salaries of people who are completely incompetent and irresponsible and don’t actually have to care where the money is coming from as long as it keeps coming, and paying for shìtty properties which offer no value for money, in order to inflate the cost of providing accommodation by artificially inflating the property market to keep the value of properties high as the market can withstand.

The system doesn’t invest in people like her, and it certainly doesn’t invest in people like you, because that’s not it’s purpose nor what it was set up to do. I’m sure you’re aware of the expression “all fur coat and no knickers”? Well that’s Ireland’s economy, and as long as we can maintain that image on the international stage, we can attract foreign investment and companies which pay as little as possible in corporation tax, but get to make themselves look good by offering to fund housing, companies like Google -

While you’re distracted breaking your balls to provide for yourself and your family, others are making a nice living for themselves sucking off the teat of the State, and I’m not talking about the woman in the opening post, nor the people like her who aren’t responsible for the current circumstances in which you and your family find yourselves. They’re just easier targets than looking at who is actually responsible for the current farce of an unsustainable economy, but as long as there are a tiny number of people generating significant wealth for themselves, you can be proud of having pulled yourself up by your bootstraps and congratulating yourself and pretending to wonder why everyone else can’t do exactly the same as you’re doing even though you’re obviously miserable and unsatisfied with your current circumstances and looking for the easiest target to blame, because you’re not in a position to target the actual culprits who are fcuking you over without even having the courtesy to look you in the eye. This video explains well the concept of “trickle down economics”, and it’s intended purpose, which isn’t concerned with investing in you and yours -

There's stuff I disagree with on both "sides". Clearly don't have four children when in need of a home. Saying that's a positive (when it's a **** life for the kids) is just contrarianism for the laugh. But "beggars can't be choosers" when it's an absolute dump (nobody said it should be luxurious - that's a false argument; just clean will do) and in America she'd starve (and her kids - and then people wonder why America is so broken). Just no - standards should be more humane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭Deeec

For both my husband and I a house for our family is our no1 need and we realised early on that to do this we needed to make sacrifices. We took out a mortgage to do this like most people. We both work but dont earn a fortune. We buy very little luxeries and sacrifice holidays, nice cars, nice clothes, meals out, beauty treatments etc but we are happy to do this to allow us one day fully own our lovely home and be debt free.

I have no sympathy for this woman having 4 kids but hasnt done anything to put a roof over her families head - this is irresponsible. There are many people on council housing lists and living in council housing that if they made sacrifices or moved to a different part of the country they too can own their own home. They dont need the hair and nails done every week, they dont need the holidays, they dont need the nice car but they wont give up these things to put a roof over their head and better their family. The next generation will also have the same expectation that the council should house them.

When you add up the benefits this lady is getting every week it is more than most people working.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I think you are confusing "contribution" with drain. 4 kids with no role models, 4 kids with a "hands out" example for a mother. 4 more drains on society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Where are you getting the nails and holidays from? Have you inspected this woman's nails? Tell us all what model of car she drives since you're so convinced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,257 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I'd say the person with the typical profile that is being wheeled out for yer wan in the story get a lot more "investment" than the average person. For little to no return to the state.

Houses should be habitable but there is absolutely no evidence that this one is not. She filmed some bins in an underground car park and some warped boards or flooring outside. In saying that houses should be habitable, that does not equate to a right to allow her to pick and choose. She should be at the bottom of any list. Why should she be entitled to a more desirable location? The result of that would be that the state (with effectively infinite wallet relatively speaking) would outbid a common working person for the more desirable location. Then the working person would have to go and buy the shithole to live there instead. All you have done is put the decent productive person at the bottoms.

If she wanted "the best" for her kids, she'd get out and work. Set an example to them, that hard work pays off, rather than "the government owes you a comfy lifestyle". You can work and still be entitled to state help.

• Advertisement

As posted already, the council's steel security shutters and door were still on the apartment, which would make accessing the inside of the property difficult!

Though someone had a go at trying to take the shutter of the window. Which is concerning.

I work, and pay a hell of a lot of taxes. I volunteer with my residents society. I volunteer with my local Tidy Towns collecting litter every week. I volunteer with the local football club, making sure that the pitch is ready and the jerseys are clean so that the teams can play each week. I volunteer to help steward at the annual town festival (haven't the last 2 years due to covid). I donate to a lot of worthy causes. I volunteer at the local Foroige night cafe, to keep local teenagers off the streets in the evenings.

But apart from that, fook all!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭Deeec

Look at facebook- shes the type that likes hair, nails and tan and of course needs the car to get the kids to school - all essential of course!

All way more important than housing her kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Someone posted a link yesterday to a Canada Goose jacket being sold on adverts for €750 and there was an offer of €650 or €700 cash from an Aoife Carpenter. So she has means and chooses to waste it on tat like overpriced clothes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Here we go. Could be a coincidence and it is another Aoife Carpenter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Makes perfect sense to have the property properly cordoned off while it is vacant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭oceanman

lets hope we never compare ourselves to the united states.. its a broken country on so many levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Again more assumptions, how do you know she does not work? We know nothing about this woman's past or present. Wether people agree with it or not we need social housing, no matter how well a country is doing there will always be a percentage of people who cannot work for whatever reasons, disabilities etc and then there are people who are uneducated and possibly working minimum wage who will never be eligible for a mortgage. Yes there are people out there that will abuse the system and its up to the people who run it to tackle that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

A quick look will tell you it's the same person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

People like this give people living in council houses such a bad name....

If she had 4 kids and had fallen on hard times thus needing a council property then thats what they are there for.

Not applying for a council house and popping out a number of kids while she waits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,882 ✭✭✭SteM

When you say that you're lucky not to be in her situation, was it really luck? I mean I'm happy not to be in her situation but I'm not lucky. Forward planning and personal responsibility doesn't equate to luck imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,583 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

The big corps paid 60% of our tax intake last year.

Don't be fooled by Paul Murphy.

I’m not confusing anything with anything else. A contribution to society doesn’t necessarily have to be in the form of taxation or anything else. Society is comprised of it’s people, and four more people is contributing to society whatever way you look at it. Far more of a drain on society are incompetent public servants whose salaries are funded from the public purse who take a far bigger chunk of money than the 68,000 people on waiting lists for housing, and organisations which are also funded from the public purse to manage housing and accommodation policies who are clearly incapable of doing so when the numbers of people on housing lists around the country, not just in Dublin, has continued to rise over the last number of decades, wasting billions in the process. THAT’s a drain on society, not four children!

Post edited by One eyed Jack on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

So how does this housing thing work?

People like the one in the OP can refuse this apartment even though its free.

So she refuses it. Others like her refuse it.

Then they get a much better house somewhere elese where a couple both working and saving like mad for a house are outbifd by the council, who want to buy it to give to this woman for free.

So the couple saving away can only afford the houses/ apartments that the councils dont want, so end up having to buy that apartment for €250k or thereabouts and live in it and make of it what they can.

So woman getting it for free gets the nice house. People working themselves to death to pay taxes for that womans nice house end up paying hundreds of thousands to live in the crap house.

Hmmm, i can see why people are annoyed.

They don’t though Donald. If they did receive the same investment, they would be in the same position as the average person. It’s clear that the money is going somewhere, but it’s not going on investing in people like the family in question. That much is obvious when if she hadn’t said anything, they would have been shunted into that shìthole and the cycle of poverty would continue, with her children if they survived ready to be the next generation who would be provided for by organisations which receive funding to manage them and keep them in poverty.

Nobody is suggesting anyone should have the right to pick and choose, they’re saying that the accommodation should at least be suitable and the environment should be suitable, as opposed to being forced to live in an environment which only perpetuates generational poverty.

The State wouldn’t outbid any common person in any case. They don’t need to? There are numerous organisations which receive funding from the HSE and other Government departments already to manage housing projects and all the rest of it. There’s no putting the working person at the bottom, the point of a minimum standard of housing and accommodation is that nobody should have to live in such squalor.

Billions have been wasted on regeneration projects around the country already that went nowhere (and now the 2040 plan with more promises which Governments will fail to deliver on), so rather than looking at individuals for any return on investment, have a look at the investment projects themselves signed off on by incompetent public servants who cost taxpayers far more over their lifetimes than the other 67,999 people will ever cost the State in welfare or housing costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

Sure look at, I’m comfortable now but you never know what’s coming down the road. She may not have made the best choices in life, or circumstances got in the way of it. As I said, good luck to her, hopefully her kids will have stability and go on to better things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

Absolutely brilliant post. Killed that smart one liner stone dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

seems she lives in a 3 bed apartment at the moment with a nice balcony in Citywest.

But she thinks she's entitled to a house and garden.

I have no issue with her getting nails done and having a few treats, but she already has decent accommodation and therefore should be happy with that. I'd love to see a system whereby the max size of a council property would be about 100sq m and 3 bedrooms and only exceptional circumstances are 4 bedrooms provided. And apply this across the board nationwide.

Its actually find it really disturbing that there are people seeking out this woman's social media, facebook and Adverts pages and reporting the details back here.

That's really over the top and creepy, in my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

" sins of the father "

Kids suffer when their parents make poor decisions, it's actually necessary for a society to improve, alternative is over reaching state dependency which robs people of their independence

I realise leftists view that as a good thing, hence why they would never entertain for a second the idea that this person has hard questions to answer about her life choices

Someone had posted re nails etc and then someone else said it could have been another Aoife..

It just took a quick look to see it's the same person. I personally don't give a **** what she does and most definitely wasnt looking to see what she spends money on or what she's selling, but if she is willing to post over social media about how she doesnt like the accommodation she has been given then obviously she is leaving herself open to comments

• Advertisement

That’s what happens when people are too stupid to realise how much of their personal information they provide to the world. She wanted the attention and surely got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,840 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I know it's terrible isn't it. That the woman who's playing the poor me routine can't hide the fact that she was willing to spend €100's on a coat.

No, that's social media for you . You never looked up someone on facebook ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Show her the accommodation English language students were paying 400 euro a month for. A bunk bed in a room with four others. While working twenty hours a week on top of college. It might make her appreciate it more.

I don't even have facebook myself, let alone go creeping around on anyone else's.

I don’t get the “sins of the father” bit tbh, seeing as the children’s father doesn’t seem to be in the picture in this particular case, for whatever reason, and there could be any reason, but that’s no reason for the State to abandon it’s obligations towards those children and their mother?

I get the whole robbing people of their independence idea, but then who are you suggesting the mother should have to answer to if not the State? That’s equally over-reaching tbh, the mother in this particular case is not a public servant, they are a private individual, and they are under no obligation whatsoever to be answerable to curtain-twitching, witch hunting lynch mobs on social media.

I’m not leftist either btw, and your idea sounds far more leftist than the idea of recognising that individuals have a right to private and family life. I don’t want to know anything about the family in this particular case, let alone the other 67,999 cases which are on housing waiting lists, and I wouldn’t wish for taxpayers contributions to the State to be wasted interrogating them on their lifestyles either when they aren’t criminals and shouldn’t be treated as such.

So you dont understand facebook .

It's social media, people put things things up for everyone to see so it's hardly creeping !

But anyway this is taking away what thread is about

ve n

Why should she have to hide anything? How she spends her money is not yours or anyone else's business. You've no idea how long she might have been saving for something like that, or borrowed for it.

Lots of the usual (some of them frankly disgusting) assumptions being made about this woman and her life up to now, when in actual fact no one here knows her in person or anything about her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

Does she not make it everyone else's business when she starts griping about it online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,107 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

If buying a knacker jacket for that money is high on your priority list, you must have plenty of dosh to be throwing around.

No she doesn’t, nobody does, and most people still manage to maintain a basic sense of decency as opposed to looking for anything they can use to humiliate a person and look down their noses at them. You’re making it your business to go out of your way to do that. She’s not made anything your business.

If you believe it for a second that is. My experience of people who do good works in their community is that they don't foghorn online about people on housing lists.

I'd also question where he/she finds the time to do a job that pays "loadza taxes" in between picking up litter / keeping kids off the streets / washing football jersies.

That's the thing about anonymous internet forums, you can make up any palaver to say you're the model citizen when you're off on a mad one about someone's nails.

I don't believe it for a second.

Of course it's people's business.

People pay taxes and its understandable why people would question where their money is going when you see purchases like this.

I'd consider her sense of entitlement far more disgusting.

• Advertisement

Not the point. When you post something online, and that includes a newspaper article featuring your name, this information isn’t private any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

@[Deleted User] Why should she have to hide anything? How she spends her money is not yours or anyone else's business. You've no idea how long she might have been saving for ,

We the taxpayer fund her lifestyle choices ,we get up and go to work to able to not only Keep a roof over our heads and food on our tables ,but also so the likes of herself get to keep a roof over her head ,and €600 coats on her kids ,60/70 on nails ,while we've been paying her heavily subsidized rents for the past 13 years and will be likely still paying for her foreva home rents until all of her kids are housed by the council in the future

I’d believe it tbh, because I’ve known plenty of people who were and are regarded as pillars in their communities and are all about being seen to do good works in their communities, yet behind closed doors or online, they’re like a whole different person.

It wasn’t exactly an unreasonable list of things either and to be fair, you did ask the question directly. I know plenty of people who are like that and have worked with many of them in the past.

I ran out of rubber medals to give tbh.

When people like this share a poor me story on social media. It's everybody's business but when it may effect them negatively it isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Of course it is our business. She is a professional beggar who we have given a lot of money to every week of her life. Instead of using this money to better herself and become self-sufficient, she has, instead, insisted on begging for even more money as her life has gone on. Now she is begging for us to provide her with a "forever home" (when a significant chunk of those contributing will never be able to provide one for themselves) and she has the audacity to look a gift-horse in the mouth, bitch and moan, and says she wants even more??? She should have her kids taken from her and given to someone capable of caring for them and she forced to live in a cardboard box with no social welfare support.

She, along with a few more like her who have taken to social media without shame about their begging woes really highlights how badly we need to completely restructure our welfare system from the ground up.

I would happily support a law that results in people like her being spayed after their second child.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement