Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School Equestrian Club experience?

Options
  • 10-08-2021 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭

As the heading says, has anyine any experience of running or getting a school equestrian club going? My school had one years ago but petered out with no body to help run it. Everyone has to do their bit so was wondering has anyone any experience in this? I know a neighbouring school that has one might look into that too. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭granturismo

I and another parent approached the principal a few years ago. He gave us the go ahead. Everything you need to know is here:

The school put out a notice for the first meeting, We deliberately decided to invite parents/guardians only to the first meeting. These are the ones who will be transporting kids and horses around the country so you need to gauge what their interest and commitment is. And luckily a few parents with more experience than us turned up. The contact member of staff was a teacher with a passing interest in horses who didnt have to do much. We had a few training sessions during the year, paid by ourselves with our Chef d'equipe an external instructor and other times hired out an arena. My children have long left the school but the jumping team is still going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Super thanks very much!

Just noticed a mistake - the Chef dequipe was a parent. We paid an instructor for a few lessons at the start of the academic year and one or two during the year.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I'd be relatively experienced, but chef d'equipe at Inter-Schools is a different level! It's seriously competitive and the fences can be quite technical. A parent chef can cause some issues as to picking teams- where other parents might infer bias. Will the school pay registration and for a chef to travel with them?

We were fortunate to have team members who all competed as a team in Pony Club and a parent instructor/chef who had instruction qualifications to boot (see what I did there?) Insurance is also something you need to consider, events have their own, but if the team is doing training with a parent, whose insurance is covering it?

Thanks all I managed to pawn the job onto another teacher with horses of her own and experience in the showjumping sport, was a good success this year and the girls seem to have really enjoyed it. Thanks all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Pawn? Start off an extra curricular activity and then dump the work on someone else? That's lovely.

Well done on getting this off the ground, glad to hear the students enjoyed it.

If the reins have been passed on to a teacher with more experience and you are happy about it, its a win for all.

Delegation !

Advertisement