Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil - Home heating

Options
  • 10-08-2021 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Anyone know of any Irish stockists of HVO? I got a new Firebird boiler installed and it takes either kerosene or HVO (with some small setting changes), and id like to try and find a supplier to make the switch to HVO.

I heard there may be some stockists in Cork, but looking for one in the Leinster area if possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,634 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

HVO is the way to go. Ireland is all talk no action on alternative fuels.

In UK you'd have no trouble getting HVO

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Tom44

Borne TW

Rubbish

We're actually well advanced in trial's stage of HVO and taking the future of oil heating seriously here in Ireland https://fb.watch/7iCXhxvvf7/

Markey, check out firebird HVO trials on Facebook, we're not at the stage of regular domestic supply of HVO for oil heating yet, neither is the UK , but it's definitely showing good potential for the future, we're actually one of the leading countries that plans ahead for alternative fuels, despite misinformation.

A little bit of proof 😇

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Markey1

Thanks Tom44, will keep an eye out there for updates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Markey1

Interesting article for anyone interested in HVO

https://www.irishexaminer.com/property/homeandoutdoors/arid-40770741.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Great, finally a bit of an alternative to feckin heatpumps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

Have been looking at this the last few weeks and would seriously look at converting / switching. This seems like an absolute no brainer, especially considering the retrofitting scheme announce over the last weeks. 686,000 homes with the potential to reduce their emissions by up to 90% seems like such low hanging fruit if some investment was seen to deliver this faster than 2025. Similar to the EV charger scheme, you could make a grant available for the oil burner conversion for the 400/500 euro cost. Even if the grant covered 50%, I’d still do it.

I read that HVO is currently about twice as expensive as kerosene (now maybe less, given oil prices) but surely that would reduce if adopted by enough people?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Dozz

Any update on a supplier in the Leinster region?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

Im interested in this technology, because of the house I live in a A2W is impossible. The oil boiler is newish so should be able to upgrade according to grant but just wondering apart from the trials has anyone heard any more?

I talked to Grant a few months ago and they said the biggest problem is everyone is arguing over the mix of HVO for home systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Dozz

Only update I have for you is that suppliers of HVO only supply for commercial purposes at the minute.

Had the home heating oil filled on Friday and had a great discussion with the delivery chap. Tria (City Oil) Cork are now delivering HVO. A number of people are already using it after minor conversions on their oil burners in order to get the pressure / mix right. Also, it would seem HVO can be used in diesel engine cars with no conversion needed. Just fill and go. Some reports that its better for the car even seeing increased efficiency and range

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

There is hardly much point at the moment in converting or getting a new one of these type of boilers……first or second post indicated that the fuel is nearly double that of kerosene and not available yet to be sold to domestic customers….add in also the doubts about its sustainability and you may not be saving the planet at all if ya make the switch…?

That post is from 2021

Then it was 1 euro per ltr and kero was 50c, now kero is 1.27 per ltr

All new boilers from Grant or Firebird will support it

Firebirds service men after training on HVO

MOD NOTE, please don't just drop a link like that without any explanation.

Also be sure to obey boards non advertising rules.

Post edited by Wearb on

On the above, the link was https://tria.ie/gdplus/. I was dropping to show that Tria Oil, who I mentioned in my previous post, number 14, were now doing HVO in Cork.

Now, after clarifying that….

I called Pat directly. Very interesting stuff. €125 for the conversion of on a firebird oil burner. Burns more efficiently with 90% less CO2 and a huge reduction in other harmful particulates (need to get the numbers on those).

I'm kinda sold lads. I have 950 litres of kerosene for the winter and I can see myself converting to this stuff come winter 2023 one I run that dry.

Tria Oil are lobbying hard on this stuff. They are talking about it as a transition / replacement fuel rather than what I called a silver bullet but I am absolutely confused as to why this stuff isn't a bigger talking point. More electric cars and heat pumps (that are going to cost millions if not billions in grants) on the grid that is already struggling doesn't make sense....

Today Kerosene is about 1.30 a liter. HVO from Tria is 1.28.....

Some TD's have pushed it but when I followed up they never responded so I guess word came from top down to go with A2W.

To me this is a alternative fuel that could keep me running for a number of year while I finish off the upgrades to the house I require to get anywhere close to a A2W capable house.

Thank you for the info

• Advertisement

This is exactly what I am thinking. We are going to spend millions if not billions in tax payer money to fund A2W and massively expensive retrofitting upgrade. I am for being geener and reducing emissions but surely trying to big bang this not the right approach. 

Interesting enough, I’ve dug a bit deeper the last 24 hours. A number of large commercial fleets are already using HVO like DPD. Dublin bus (to be mostly funded by tax payers?) is moving to hybrid / hydrogen busses in the coming years. About 300k a pop per new bus. That existing fleet could switch to HVO in the morning and have an instant reduction in CO2 and I would nearly argue that has a greater impact on emissions alone when not buying a fleet of new busses. To me it stinks of big contracts and money leaving the county on vehicles and equipment (A2W). The only Irishman getting paid here is the lad doing the contract work. The vast majority of this money is not staying in the country

I am going to hammer any "Green" TD or councillor that knocks on my door. There isn't a single on street EV charger on the North side of Cork City

An Post fuel their larger vehicles with HVO now, got a bit of publicity a few weeks back, their small vans are electric.

An Post photo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

to produce 950 litres you would need to grow two acres of rapeseed there are an estimated 75 0,000 homes in Ireland who use oil heating so that would be 1.5 million acres of rapeseed just for 1000ltrs heating oil each ,that's before we throw in diesel vehicles

I don't see it as a replacement of kerosene. What it could do is reduce the amount of kerosene we need in Ireland, I know around my area the fields are full of rapeseed but that's for years. Even if you swapped 10k houses to HVO it would reduce the kerosene and have an affect on the environment.

Pushing everyone to buy a A2W is crazy. Especially if you look at houses like mine, it would cost me a fortune to heat plus it would be more harmful to the environment to generate the amount of electricity compared to Kerosene or HVO. That's even after I have upgrade to a B2 house.

Plus I wouldn't throw in any diesel vehicles. Trucks maybe but cars etc should be slowly moved out for alternatives.

The problem with spending millions to upgrade houses is you also generate loads of Co2. Trying to slam everyone into one box is silly to be honest and it doesn't work.

I see plenty of trucks around with a symbol on to suggest they are using HVO. I think Viriginia Couriers or whatever they are called are using it as well.

Dublin Bus was supposed to have HVO buses years ago, not sure what happened. They are getting hybrid ones and I think the trials happened in Cork but not sure. Easier to spend millions and get a photo opp than come up with a good idea that might not be as sexy

Anyone know what is the pipeline you need to run for HVO? It is a green one? I can't seem to find which one it is

Red hose, look up heating parts warehouse for them.

Sorry the oil line it might be called, has to go about 10/15m to the tank, just wondering what I need? seen the red ones but they are like a metre long

Thanks

Copper is fine as far as I know, but ring Grant or Firebirds technically support for confirmation.

Also check that oil tank seal/connection is suitable, some older rubber seals might disintegrate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Current boiler is near 24 years old. This HVO boiler seems a good alternative. My plan will be to fit a new boiler with the option of a conversion to hvo when prices drop. And lets be honest HVO will have to be a decent bit cheaper than kero to encourage people to convert.

Advertisement