Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Airtightness

• 09-08-2021 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭ Speakerboxx

Question for the experts.

If your house is airtight, should there be draughts of air coming down through the fitted spotlights on the ceiling?

I have recently moved into my new build home. I was painting a vaulted ceiling at the weekend and when I was up on the ladder masking the spotlights with tape, I felt a cold draught of air coming down through all 4 spots on the ceiling. Is this an easy issue to fix?

I take it this shouldn't be happening?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ Biker1

You are correct, it should not be happening. Clearly a breach in the airtight layer if one exists. Unfortunately achieving the ridiculous backstop figure of 5m3/hr/m2 at 50pa can be done with minimal effort therefore some builders don't aim for better.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,653 ✭✭✭✭ listermint

They are the wrong type of spotlight . You can buy new ones that have a sealed rear and then seal when clipped in. The ones you have have an open hole straight through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭ Yellow_Fern

I guess it is not impossible you have pockets of cool concrete keeping in cold air there but you will known in the winter anyway.

Advertisement