Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airtightness

• 09-08-2021 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

Question for the experts.

If your house is airtight, should there be draughts of air coming down through the fitted spotlights on the ceiling?

I have recently moved into my new build home. I was painting a vaulted ceiling at the weekend and when I was up on the ladder masking the spotlights with tape, I felt a cold draught of air coming down through all 4 spots on the ceiling. Is this an easy issue to fix?

I take it this shouldn't be happening?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Biker1

You are correct, it should not be happening. Clearly a breach in the airtight layer if one exists. Unfortunately achieving the ridiculous backstop figure of 5m3/hr/m2 at 50pa can be done with minimal effort therefore some builders don't aim for better.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,538 ✭✭✭✭listermint

They are the wrong type of spotlight . You can buy new ones that have a sealed rear and then seal when clipped in. The ones you have have an open hole straight through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

I guess it is not impossible you have pockets of cool concrete keeping in cold air there but you will known in the winter anyway.

Advertisement