Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nadine Lott Verdict

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Why are so many good-looking girls attracted to absolute scum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

It wasn't just alcohol.it was pills cannabis and methadone as well.

She was tiny god love her she was no match for that maniac.

That was what struck me about the pictures I saw on the news of the poor woman, how tiny she was "barely a handful" as my granny used to say. She would have had no chance against him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭archfi

It was a vicious, inhuman attack - and yes, I am glad the jury did not accept the miserable plea of manslaughter.

RIP Nadine Lott

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Low self esteem and/or attraction to the "bad boy" type.

In this case though, she had met him in Australia, found out he was a complete headbanger and had gotten rid of him. He refused to accept it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

One of the worst cases I've read about in quite a while. That poor, poor girl.

How awful it must have been for family to find her like that, then lose her without the added insult of her lowlife, scumbag killer trying to get off easier by claiming it was manslaughter. Delighted the jury didn't buy it. May he rot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Caquas

This trial cost at least a half-million Euro. For what? There wasn’t a chance in hell that any jury would let him off with manslaughter. Especially when they heard that he wrapped wire around his fist to inflict more damage on Nadine.

His lawyers probably told him he had a free shot - he would get life anyway if he pleaded guilty to murder. Did they tell him he would become the most hated man in Ireland? That every tough guy in prison would want a fight with him? Imagine the brownie points a gangster could get for putting Daniel Murtagh in hospital.

It is sick and a lot of lawyers were very well paid for a couple of weeks work but is is better that the world knows what this monster did. I bet he wishes he pleaded guilty to murder and could tell some BS story in prison about what happened that night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

I think it's because many "ordinary guys" consider beautiful women unattainable so it's mostly a "different type" that are left to approach them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭billyhead

Knowing our Justice system he'll be out after 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

not a hope he will be out after. the average lifer does at least 18 years and some considerably more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭Be right back

I hope he gets a lengthy sentence.. He's not such a big man now, hiding his face. May Nadine rest in peace...

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Another stupid, ill-informed post about how the judicial system works.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Minorthreat

I hope they throw away the key after they lock that scumbag up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

The poor girl. A coked-up scumbag who had been doing boxing for years, she didn't stand a chance. It seems that he crashed the car in Laragh after he left her place then told the person who found him that he'd "killed his wife"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,225 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Girls are not items sitting on a shelf, waiting to be picked up by whomever the first person is who is brave enough to come forward. They have their available options and then make their choices based on that. They don't have to choose who you or I think would be logical for them to choose. And the person may not turn out to be whom they originally thought. It is their choice. They may be happy or they may regret it later. Same as anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Awful story altogether - seems like justice has been done which is all we can really ask.

It will hopefully help the family feel some kind of closure but then again I am sure having to relive the harrowing crime during the trial will have been very hard.

Drink and drugs should never be an acceptable excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭political analyst

How did Murtagh get into Nadine's house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Off the top of my head probably rang the doorbell and then forced his way in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

He was minding their child. Whilst she was out for a Christmas party as far as I know . They seemed to be on speaking terms at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Just reading up on this and it's horrific

He made a lot of admissions incriminating himself so I assume he must have done all this without a solicitor present

The solicitor would be advising no comment

Not that it matters a great deal now but strange

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭mikethecop

he was baby sitting their child

lot of people macho idiots going on about the welcome he will get in custody , he has been in custody since the day after the murder and he has barely been touched.

the importance of this case in nullifying the intoxication as a defense a great progression and i would love to see them take this opportunity to introduce full life tariffs like in the uk .

then again i would also be in favor of capital punishment in this case and ones like it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

Are they?

I gotta be honest, any of the couples I see screaming at each other with clenched fists on the streets around the place, few to none look like she did.

Even "gangster gee" as they call it, most of them in this country look rather rough and ready. Adriana from The Sopranos they ain't.

Strangely this was never mentioned, or at least not reported, during the trial, but was widely reported when it happened.

Is this some result of the recent legal controversy regarding naming etc about children being victims of a crime?

Not really directly related to the topic, but would a person in custody awaiting trial be kept under the same conditions/circumstances as they would be after conviction if convicted? Genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I thought she made it clear that she wasn't attracted to him?

Presumably, both partners in each of the couples whose arguments you have witnessed give as good as they get.

There just seems to be have been a lot of cases of attractive women being murdered by ex-boyfriends here and in Britain in recent years.

I honestly can't recall any recent cases in this country if I'm honest. There was the woman found in closet and her husband killed himself in prison but that pre dates this case. The only domestic murder I can recall since this case in Arklow was the man in Blanch who killed the wife and was taken in by the ARU after it. Given the pressure cooker of living under Covid that if anything is nearly surprisingly low.

I'll give you a strange one mind.

Husband was charged over this one yet I've never seen a sign of a trial. Nearly four years on remand must be a record in this country, never seen the like of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭mikethecop

he would have been in weatfield beside cloverhill prison , weatfield is a remand prison but not that much different from cloverhill next door

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

The poor lass, all I could think every time the case was mentioned, and her picture shown, was how slight she was, in build. She never stood a chance. What a horrific death.

I didn't read the reports in detail, but had read/ heard the reports of the comments made by the medical personnel and the Gardaí.

The likes of him should never be free to walk the streets again.

Can't even begin to imagine how her family and friends must feel. May she rest in peace.

• Advertisement

The murder of Olivia Dunlea is a recent case here. Other than murder, a woman in Cavan town was left with brain damage by her boyfriend, who viciously attacked her outside a restaurant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,135 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I dont know if this thug even had a solicitor. I mean his whole defence was that he was coked/drunk out of his mind so couldn't be guilty.

I had to look up Olivia Dunlea as I couldn't recall it. I wouldn't call 2013 recent to be fair. Despite what loons like Ruth Coppinger do be claiming cases, like Nadine Lott are thankfully as rare as they come in this country.

Not a domestic but I couldn't believe that the first time I ever heard of this triple murder case was last year or so, the family appeared in the media concerned his potential parole period was not far away. A triple murder of a woman and two children by a relative stranger you would think would have been up there with Ireland's most notorious crimes (Graham Dwyer, Mark Nash and the two separate murder incidents he committed, the case in Clare in the 90s where the lad murdered a priest, a woman and her young son) yet I can't recall any coverage of it at the time.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/postman-gets-three-life-terms-for-murder-of-family-26583194.html

I dunno, it happened at Christmas, maybe I was in the height of a days long session as does happen when you're younger, but I really can't recall it being covered- yet the Grangegorman killings (and the one he did of his in laws down the country), the missing women in the mid 90s and Murphy's eventual arrest, and the fella in Clare all happened in my childhood, involve a similar or higher death toll, and I distinctly remember the media saturation of all three.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Munstergirl854

It was never mentioned he shared a child with her or the child was in the house on the night.

I wonder did the family request to have this left out or what??

I remember it being in the papers when the attack first took place,I think the foreign neighbour who went into the flat first actually took her out of there, again this wasnt mentioned at trial.

She is a beautiful little thing but the image of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Lots of nasty people are well able to wear the mask of decency till they have a good person hooked in. They let it slip when drunk but manage to get excused by blaming the drink.

It was in the news at the time - the murders of Sharon Whelan and her children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭Be right back

There was also this case. Terrible crime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

It appears these crimes seem to occur more around Christmas time or is it just me? I hesitate to call them 'crimes of passion' as they are so dark.

Lack of sunlight in December, perpetrators drinking to excess around the festive period, their blood is up at what is supposed to be a family time of year and they are full of resentment etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Crimes of possession, more like. Thinking they own the other person and that nobody else will have them.

Also this case (Natalia Karaczyn). Never seemed to get much media traction I don't know if its because they were Polish that the media never seemed to make a big deal of this horrible case. They had 3 children together but were split up, he strangled her to death and left her in the woods

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/criminal-court/man-found-guilty-of-murdering-his-wife-in-sligo-in-2018-1.4569494

Also Joanne Ball strangled by her estranged husband, then put in a bin bag and stuffed in a wardrobe. There wasn't a trial as he killed himself in prison awaiting trial

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/coroner-s-court/death-of-joanne-ball-her-family-s-worst-nightmare-inquest-hears-1.4079503

• Advertisement

Ingrida Maciokaite died after being stabbed 19 times in front of her 6 year old daughter by her former partner

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0527/1224286-dauksa-trial-sentence/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

It was one of the hardest cases to follow. Her injuries were horrific. He never gave the full story either did he? There seems to have been something else used other than his fists and a wire. When you have emergency services and nurses in A & E traumatised by what they saw that's horrific. The poor mother seeing her daughter in that condition.

In his head they were supposed to be getting back together, according to what he said in the garda interviews. In her head they were broken up, nothing was going to happen between them again and she tried to make it clear.

In one of the interviews he said something like - her friends take slaps from their fellas all the time. If that's true I hope they've dumped those guys now. If anyone is in a relationship where they're being assaulted - get out and tell someone.

What a way to end up. Poor Nadine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Caquas

Are you joking!?

Of course he had a full legal team who collected handsome fees but there is a code of silence among court reporters. They don’t embarrass the lawyers for scumbag defendants and fraudulent claimants. This trial will have cost us at least a half million Euro although he pleaded guilty to manslaughter I.e. to killing Nadine. The issue was intent I.e. did he really know what he was doing?

There was no chance any jury who heard that he wrapped his fist in wire would let him off with manslaughter so his lawyers told him he had nothing to lose - if he pleaded guilty to murder and spared everyone the trauma of this trial, he would still get a life sentence.

As I said before, his lawyers probably did not explain to their client that running a full trial would make him the most hated man in Ireland and a target for every thug in prison who fancies himself as the next Tyson Fury.

May justice prevail in the end!

It's the "available options" that I was alluding to.

Hypothetically speaking, and aside from this story, a good looking girl will always have more options. She cannot say "well I'd have loved a nice quiet nerd but only arseholes approached me so I had to go with the arseholes". i.e. if she is with the "arsehole" she is with him because she wants to be with him. If she wanted to be with the "nice quiet nerd" then she would be well able to be. She was under no obligation to go with said "arsehole" just because she approached him. She is of course wholly entitled to choose him irrespective of others' opinions of him.

Your argument seems to be that the pool of "more options" will consist of all the "nerds' PLUS all the "bad boys"

Yes?

Not sure where this is going.

If a girl chooses what you or I would classify as a bad choice, it is still her choice. It is up to her. She is not restricted to any particular cohort because every single one of the "nice fellas" were too intimidated to approach her. She isn't a passive object that must accept her fate because only a certain type approached her or expressed any interest in her (which would never be the case in reality - there are always alternative options - one of which is to stay single!)

A good looking girl will get more interest and have more options than a less attractive one. Same for males. If you are 6'6" and athletic, you will get more interest than a 4'8" fat midget.

Some interest will be from "good" potential choices and some from "bad" potential choices. But the interest will increase from both.

Arguably a popular person will have less "work" to do regarding the realisation of opportunities, the term "attractiveness" is an explanation in itself.

Therefore, there may be an over-representation of a particular type in the range of options available.

The quality of a person's decision making is obviously relevant too, but I'm no judge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,506 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

He should be in prison for his whole life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Agree and the sh te kicked out of him at least once a day or twice a day, horrific crime on that poor woman, very hard reading.

• Advertisement
Advertisement