Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nadine Lott Verdict

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,697 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Why are so many good-looking girls attracted to absolute scum?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

It wasn't just alcohol.it was pills cannabis and methadone as well.

She was tiny god love her she was no match for that maniac.

That was what struck me about the pictures I saw on the news of the poor woman, how tiny she was "barely a handful" as my granny used to say. She would have had no chance against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭archfi

It was a vicious, inhuman attack - and yes, I am glad the jury did not accept the miserable plea of manslaughter.

RIP Nadine Lott

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Low self esteem and/or attraction to the "bad boy" type.

In this case though, she had met him in Australia, found out he was a complete headbanger and had gotten rid of him. He refused to accept it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

One of the worst cases I've read about in quite a while. That poor, poor girl.

How awful it must have been for family to find her like that, then lose her without the added insult of her lowlife, scumbag killer trying to get off easier by claiming it was manslaughter. Delighted the jury didn't buy it. May he rot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Caquas

This trial cost at least a half-million Euro. For what? There wasn’t a chance in hell that any jury would let him off with manslaughter. Especially when they heard that he wrapped wire around his fist to inflict more damage on Nadine.

His lawyers probably told him he had a free shot - he would get life anyway if he pleaded guilty to murder. Did they tell him he would become the most hated man in Ireland? That every tough guy in prison would want a fight with him? Imagine the brownie points a gangster could get for putting Daniel Murtagh in hospital.

It is sick and a lot of lawyers were very well paid for a couple of weeks work but is is better that the world knows what this monster did. I bet he wishes he pleaded guilty to murder and could tell some BS story in prison about what happened that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

I think it's because many "ordinary guys" consider beautiful women unattainable so it's mostly a "different type" that are left to approach them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,517 ✭✭✭billyhead

Knowing our Justice system he'll be out after 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,098 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

not a hope he will be out after. the average lifer does at least 18 years and some considerably more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭Be right back

I hope he gets a lengthy sentence.. He's not such a big man now, hiding his face. May Nadine rest in peace...

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Another stupid, ill-informed post about how the judicial system works.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Minorthreat

I hope they throw away the key after they lock that scumbag up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

The poor girl. A coked-up scumbag who had been doing boxing for years, she didn't stand a chance. It seems that he crashed the car in Laragh after he left her place then told the person who found him that he'd "killed his wife"?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Girls are not items sitting on a shelf, waiting to be picked up by whomever the first person is who is brave enough to come forward. They have their available options and then make their choices based on that. They don't have to choose who you or I think would be logical for them to choose. And the person may not turn out to be whom they originally thought. It is their choice. They may be happy or they may regret it later. Same as anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Awful story altogether - seems like justice has been done which is all we can really ask.

It will hopefully help the family feel some kind of closure but then again I am sure having to relive the harrowing crime during the trial will have been very hard.

Drink and drugs should never be an acceptable excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭political analyst

How did Murtagh get into Nadine's house?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Off the top of my head probably rang the doorbell and then forced his way in

• Registered Users Posts: 33,548 ✭✭✭✭listermint

He was minding their child. Whilst she was out for a Christmas party as far as I know . They seemed to be on speaking terms at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Just reading up on this and it's horrific

He made a lot of admissions incriminating himself so I assume he must have done all this without a solicitor present

The solicitor would be advising no comment

Not that it matters a great deal now but strange

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭mikethecop

he was baby sitting their child

lot of people macho idiots going on about the welcome he will get in custody , he has been in custody since the day after the murder and he has barely been touched.

the importance of this case in nullifying the intoxication as a defense a great progression and i would love to see them take this opportunity to introduce full life tariffs like in the uk .

then again i would also be in favor of capital punishment in this case and ones like it

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

Are they?

I gotta be honest, any of the couples I see screaming at each other with clenched fists on the streets around the place, few to none look like she did.

Even "gangster gee" as they call it, most of them in this country look rather rough and ready. Adriana from The Sopranos they ain't.

Strangely this was never mentioned, or at least not reported, during the trial, but was widely reported when it happened.

Is this some result of the recent legal controversy regarding naming etc about children being victims of a crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Not really directly related to the topic, but would a person in custody awaiting trial be kept under the same conditions/circumstances as they would be after conviction if convicted? Genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I thought she made it clear that she wasn't attracted to him?

Presumably, both partners in each of the couples whose arguments you have witnessed give as good as they get.

There just seems to be have been a lot of cases of attractive women being murdered by ex-boyfriends here and in Britain in recent years.

I honestly can't recall any recent cases in this country if I'm honest. There was the woman found in closet and her husband killed himself in prison but that pre dates this case. The only domestic murder I can recall since this case in Arklow was the man in Blanch who killed the wife and was taken in by the ARU after it. Given the pressure cooker of living under Covid that if anything is nearly surprisingly low.

I'll give you a strange one mind.

Husband was charged over this one yet I've never seen a sign of a trial. Nearly four years on remand must be a record in this country, never seen the like of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭mikethecop

he would have been in weatfield beside cloverhill prison , weatfield is a remand prison but not that much different from cloverhill next door

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

The poor lass, all I could think every time the case was mentioned, and her picture shown, was how slight she was, in build. She never stood a chance. What a horrific death.

I didn't read the reports in detail, but had read/ heard the reports of the comments made by the medical personnel and the Gardaí.

The likes of him should never be free to walk the streets again.

Can't even begin to imagine how her family and friends must feel. May she rest in peace.

• Advertisement

The murder of Olivia Dunlea is a recent case here. Other than murder, a woman in Cavan town was left with brain damage by her boyfriend, who viciously attacked her outside a restaurant.

Advertisement