Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Katherine Zappone Envoy Gig

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,976 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'm not seeing last nights late debate on RTE player, it maybe because it's broadcast on RTE news now rather than a full TV broadcast as such, bit podcast above has all the juicy bits 😁

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Ah but I wanted to see the normally unflappable Brutons beetroot head.

According to Twitter, Matt Carthy tore strips off of him. 😉

Post edited by McMurphy on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Personally I think the motion is pointless, and not in an "Coveny did nothing wrong" kinda way. Time and time again this government and previous ones have demonstrated their ability to circle the wagons in their own self interests, irregardless of .... well everything really. Cling to power at all costs that's what they're doing. It's blindingly obvious that's what MM is doing.

Scandal after scandal keeps emerging, this is just another one in a long line of scandals from this government not forgetting Leo's bessie mate or the legislation to prevent large investment funds buying up large swathes of property which basically amounted to nothing since they can still do it... Again and again we keep getting told "lessons will be learned" with no real action taken ever. Yet again demonstrable of the contempt they have for the country. "Oops we got caught there. let's throw some junior minister or back bencher out for interviews while we duck for cover. Once the dust settles issue a mealy mouthed apology saying lessons will be learned and we can pretend like it never happened" - Again, cling to power at all costs.

Marc McSharry is full of bluster and has plenty to say, but i don't see him risking his own ass by voting against the government and facing "Sanctions"

Remember these are the elected officials that are put in position by the people in a democratic process who conveniently abstain from voting on motions when it suits them. Another classic example of power going to their heads. if I decided to abstain from doing the job I get paid to do I wouldn't last too long in it I can tell you that.

LOL, yes the podcast doesn't give the same affect 😂, I'm raging I didn't take a screenshot shot of Brutons beetroot red face. Carthy has matured alot, he remained calm and focused, didn't get excitable, I wasn't expecting Bruton to loose the rag, he was clearly annoyed with Katie who brought up his previous leadership bid (failed)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Posts deleted

Now stick to the topic, which is not other users

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭Floppybits

The vote of no confidence may result in Simon Coveney being sacked, even though he deserves to be for the whole shambles but mainly for the lying he did to the Dail committee. That should never ever be accepted by anyone or any party. Anyways I think the tactic with the no confidence is to create more of a wedge between FF and FG and to put the spotlight firmly on FF. I am sure the FF TD's are not best pleased with having to support another FG TD in a no confidence vote after they have been be caught out. It just puts more pressure on them, fair play to them they have stuck it out this long and they may stick it a while longer but the feeling is that this is wearing thin now with FF TD's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭satguy

Has MM who is just about hanging on by his finger tips, used up the last piece of skin he has, to force the FF gang to back Coveny ?

Will one of the FF back benchers grow a spine ?

I feel that if FFG manage to get over this scandal, the next one to come along, will be a bridge too far.. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

All this brouhaha for nowt. This story, like golfgate and the Leo leak, are just entertainment during the summer break.

After todays motion is defeated, its back to business-as-usual. It must really stick in the craw of the usual suspects who got excited once again, and once again (wrongly) predicted the fall of the government. Don't you ever tire of being wrong????

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Golfgate Still has legal proceedings pending Paddy, and Leo is still under an active criminal investigation by the NBCI for the leaking incident Paddy.

Summer break?

Cmon lad. If you're going to insist keeping up the pantomime dame routine, at least stay up to speed on the facts.

🤣

Perhaps you've missed the over all point of the thread, I've personally never called or predicted the fall of this government, some may have, I've looked for accountability and yes resignations or sackings.

The dogs on the street know ultimately how this will end but it's been damaging, will have long term consequences and the shameful Shenanigans have been exposed for what they were, disgraceful and outrageous.

I for one am very, very, very happy how its turned out (to date) whilst getting absolute pleasure of outwatching FG make utter fools of themselves and finally seeing certain FG politicians Squirm.

A good few months at the office, me thinks 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

100%.

Some of the speculation here has departed to Fantasy Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭crossman47

Shameful, outrageous and disgraceful it wasn't. It was just a mess of their own making. Why couldn't they come out straight and say we thought we'd get some kudos out of this internationally for a small amount of money? Or maybe Coveney just told his officials find something for this woman and get her out of my hair!

As too has some of the quite Bizzare and failed deflections 😏

In your opinion of course which I respect but disagree with as would it seem all opposition politicians, most journalists, indeed even some government TD'S.

Remind us again, what's happening later today 🤔🤔

And we're still not done with FOI matters

Of course opposition TDs are making the most of it and the media will make what they can of the story. And the government TDs have their own agendas. Anyone who takes McSharry seriously needs to think again.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭BKelly21

Your predictions have been far from accurate up until now, perhaps today will be the day the sun shines on a dog's backside?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,938 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

he backed FG because they are scared sh1tless of sin fein. They are now officially a credible threat!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Business as usual eh? 😉

I do not endorse or condone business as usual from this FFG government!

And the last thing I want now is the fall of the government. Time enough...

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

They are indeed. I have no doubt now Mary Lou will be the next Taoiseach but I don't welcome it. She'll learn governing is much harder than issuing nice sound bites.

I honestly take no politician seriously, will critise all and any and equally compliment all and any ( Albert impossible lately to compliment any FG politician).

You mentioned media in general terms and perhaps correct, I'm referring to actual serious Journalists of all persuasion covering this debacle from the outset.

It is what it is, the facts speak for themselves ultimately, I've rarely seen a story get so much traction followed by quite bizzare attempts to excuse, explain , dare I say cover up. Keep in mind it blew up at a time when politics in Ireland in sleep mode.

That old saying comes to mind

"Fire without Fuel"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The motion of no confidence wont be passed and later this evening we will have FFG politicians on the airwaves saying how they want to 'get back to the serious business of health and housing'. For them that means messing up those policy areas even more, 2 senior people resigned from Slaintecare in the last week because they see the political will isnt there to implement it and this Housing for All plan has the cuckoo funds fingerprints all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,938 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Agreed , Mary Lou was on W comedy podcast this week , not a care in the world, whilst all the other parties are in tatters

You are aware why there was actually 3 senior resignations in the health care sector? Something to do with Current Government attitudes to change perhaps 🤔

As for serious business resuming, who's mess was this exactly 🤔

Who allowed it to drag on 🤔

Who is ultimately responsible for any alledged distraction of government business 🤔

I know who as do most objective observer's.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

No change there then. This is an INMO memo from November 2019 (2 months before Covid struck our poor capacity health system).

2019 breaks record for most patients on trolleys – and it’s not even December (inmo.ie)

2019 has seen the highest number of patients on trolleys in any year since records began – despite it still being November.

“Winter has only just begun and the record is already broken. These statistics are the hallmark of a wildly bureaucratic health service, which is failing staff and patients alike.

“We take no pleasure in having to record these figures for a decade and a half. We know the problem, but we also know the solutions: extra beds in hospitals, safe staffing levels, and more step-down and community care outside of the hospital. 

“No other developed country faces anything close to this trolley problem. It can be solved, but a strong political agenda to drive change is needed.

“The INMO has written to the health and safety authorities this week to try force a change from the employers. Hospitals should be a place of safety and care – not danger.”

FFG look like they are only paying lip service to Slaintecare too. More inaction after decades of neglect.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

It has been hugely entertaining - far from a nothing burger. Exposed the contempt the politics insiders have for everyone else. They are playing games with one another with the sole prize being able to pretend to be a Minister. No obvious talent or abilities displayed once they get there. The comments last year about Phil Hogan being a shrewd operator in the EU, were repeated this time about Simon Coveney and what he did with Brexit. As far as I know, that was an EU job, and he more than likely spouted at Press Conferences after negotiations were completed by others. I would suggest his "handling" of the envoy gig is all his own work, and a better guide as to his abilities.

The Fianna Gael reargard / cover up since reminds me of the time after the crash, when Vincent Brown used to torch the low rank Fianna Failers. Oafish, clueless, ambitious cannon fodder sent out to be shredded. It was telling the number of contributors, (TD, journalist/presenter) to discussions about it all, were struggling to stop themselves from laughing in the face of different Fianna Gaelers. Richard Bruton was just the latest "comedian".

I could be wrong but I think last night's appearance by Richard Bruton on the late debate was is first, it will most certainly be his last 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭archfi

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

I'd be amazed if she agrees to appear , but there's been so many twists and turns who knows 🙄

• Advertisement

Now they would be intriguing if not embarrassing 😂

Advertisement