Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notifications

Options
  • 26-07-2021 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭

I keep logging in and finding 99+ notifications and they're from posts in threads I don't think I've ever looked in never mind posted in.

I've checked my notification settings and none are in relation to post updates unless someone replies directly to me. It's all a bit confusing.

EDIT: Even if you could tell me how to unsubscribe from the liveline thread on desktop.It's not showing up on my threads list but I'm getting hundreds of notification from it.It's a nightmare.

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I've deleted all notification settings but I'm still get 100's a day!

Please help

• Registered Users Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

This is still killing the experience of using the site. Anyone have a way to turn it off?

It fills up nearly all the screen when I'm getting these.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭lordsheepface

Can we please fix the subject on the email alerts for new posts?

Right now they show up like: "[boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'] USERNAME just added a comment in THREAD TITLE"

This takes up lots of space in a mobile email client such as Gmail and the thread that's been updated isn't immediately obvious.

My suggestion would be to change it to something like: "[boards.ie] THREAD TITLE has been updated by USERNAME"

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Northpole

When I get those and I click onto them, I read:

---------------

You don't have permission to do that.

The page you were looking for could not be found.

-------------------------------------

What kind of nonsense is this?

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

You can manage your notification types here: https://www.boards.ie/profile/preferences/

I'd recommend turning off the pop-ups and emails for these options if you are getting a lot of notifications.

• Notify me when people comment on my discussions.
    • Notify me when people comment on my bookmarked discussions.
    • Notify me when people comment on discussions I've participated in.

• Advertisement

Sorry about that, is this happening for one specific thread notification or multiple threads?

We don't have direct control of the email layout or naming convention but I can suggest that the email titles are shortened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Is it possible to stop drafts being saved automatically? There is a SAVE button but the draft is saved whether that is clicked or not then I have to go into profile and delete the draft that I didn't want to save in the first place...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

I have all notification settings turned off and im started getting notifications to posts ive never even looked at! Its just started today???

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Same. Getting notifications and I have them turned off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Same thing after happening me,I am getting notifications from numerous threads in the Current Affairs forum which I never visit. How do I stop this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I'm also getting notifications despite never switching them on. I've now switched them off but they're still appearing. This only became an issue in the last 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Same here re the notifications

• Registered Users Posts: 85,374 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm getting same notifications 3 or 4 times over

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Same here, getting notifications from threads I'm pretty sure I've never even read let alone followed. Started last night.

Post edited by DvB on
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭Sarn

Same here, I’ve started getting notifications and pop-ups since last night, despite not turning notifications on. Turning them off doesn’t seem to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Have tried changing notification settings and I've actually triggered more notifications from threads I 100% know I haven't looked at previously (didn't even know they existed in fact)

Just as the site had settled down and became reasonably okay to use again.... typical 😃

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Yes, notifications coming from all over the place over the last 24 hours, and this is despite my selecting not to receive them in my preferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭pcasso

Another one getting notifications for posts in threads that I haven't subscribed to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 15,271 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Getting hundreds of notifications coming in for discussions i've never even taken part in:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I have no notifications setup in preferences and still am getting notifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,122 ✭✭✭prunudo

Getting a lot the last 24hrs too. Appears to be from all threads in forums I follow. So say someone posts in any thread in current affairs, then I get a notification. Even if having never looked at or engaged in that particular thread before (or certainly not in recent memory).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,841 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Getting notifications from threads I've never followed here also . Crazy .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I have every notification setting disabled except for notification of PM and 'mention' of me (when a post is quoted) but am still getting pop-up notifications of posts I have either never posted in, or last did so a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭francois

Same re:notifications, all disabled but still getting pop-ups & alerts

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Same here, every box unticked in notification settings but still getting notifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Similar situation for me - all notifications disabled but I'm getting pop-ups & alerts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭DennyPa

same for me, all notications disbaled, pop-ups and alerts.

Advertisement