Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post returning packages from outside the EU-See 1st post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

It's the website that was giving me the error. However I just went back on and it seems to be fixed now so happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Marlay

Was just contacted by a UK seller saying they received a return today. They originally posted it to me February 10th. Annoyingly they have refunded the cost of the item but not the postage. The postage was quite a lot of the cost. Didn't even include tracking, so I'd actually assumed it was lost. From the sounds of things they didn't do any electronic customs form, just the label on the envelope. Do most sellers keep the postage cost?

A package from the US I payed customs on hasn't budged in over a week, the latest tracking info says customs fee paid but hasn't moved an inch since. Someone in anpost told me there should be no delays so looks like it may be lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I had two packages take two and nearly three weeks last year - after paying the customs fee.

Thanks! I got onto them on Facebook and they said that it has not been physically handed over to anpost yet, just the customs declaration was sent electronically to them. I presumed they would have had it physically and then charge the fee but maybe I'm wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭JVince

Customs clearance can start the minute the electronic information is sent.

I import regularly and customs will nearly always commence the day goods dispatch. In my customs account I can also see if it is flagged for inspection - that can add a few days.

If it gets the green light I know it will be delivered the day after it arrives in Dublin - no matter who the carrier is.

Both of mine were from the UK and were expensive items. So there's an element of anxiousness while waiting for them to arrive.

Curiously any time I order a low value product, An Post deliver it the day after paying the customs charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 mikkijan

Dynomutt, you have summed up the situation for family sending gifts perfectly. I always give my family and friends the 10 digit Taric code to enter on the form and all is well. However two weeks ago my son in law was posting a slim magazine to me and the manager at his London post office insisted he didn't need to include the Taric code as it was a gift to family. It's been stuck in Dublin since last Wednesday and when I queried it this morning I was told its being sent back.

I hope my SiL takes it back to the that post office and sticks it under that manager's nose! I don't suppose they'll refund him his wasted £16.50 either.

The thing that confuses me is on the small CN 22 customs form from UK, the box where the Taric code goes says "Commercial items only; if known enter HS tariff no. & origin". That is misleading and certainly not the reality of the situation here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭amber2

Apologies this may already be outline in the thread but have an item that is being returned due to missing HS/TARIC code, I contacted seller who has updated the electronic declaration on his side but now an post are saying that this should have been submitted by seller in the first instance and it cannot be updated. Not sure why there is a system in place for it to be updated when it’s no good, what’s the point i having such a system. They are now saying it’s too late, even though the item only just arrived in Ireland yesterday at 6pm and they are holding it for two weeks before returning. Anyone have any similar issues and find a solution .

Post edited by amber2 on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭deezell

I found this LoI football chant useful...

'Daaave McRedmond,

He's a Wa**er,

He's a Wa**er'

I know it won't retrieve your packet, but it helps with the Anger.

• Advertisement

where is it coming from?

I have noticed An Post have got more lenient on UK packages i.e. not sending them back. I've got a couple recently with no TARIC codes getting through. Although a purchase from Ebay last week (where the VAT is paid upfront) got hit with a charge which is annoying.

Sri Lanka, a post got a very unhelpful agent and then one fobbed me off to customs who said it will update overnight and should be ok then. Not too sure if I should hold out any hope.

Post edited by amber2 on

• Registered Users Posts: 25 JP2000

I bought an item from the uk, the latest update with an post is that it’s been sorted in my local sorting mailing centre.

Theres been no update or movement for two days now. Should I be worried that it will be sent back?

Do an post notify you if that is the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Thanks. I just contacted them and it’s being sent back. So frustrating

In my case the an post track and trace doesn’t give any info only that it’s received and being sorted at mail centre but the link sent to me by the seller from Sri Lanka gives info on importation and it being terminated so maybe try tracking through the point of origin.

Customer Services on 353 (1) 705 7600. Ring these and quote your tracking.

Post edited by amber2 on

Thanks for that advice. I checked that and it said that it cleared customs and was then sent to local sorting so it looks like An Post stopped it then.

They don’t seem to have anything beyond that. An Post can’t tell me exactly when it will be sent back either as “items due for return as a result of documentation errors are not prioritised”.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭blade1

An post local sorting office don't send back items due to documentation errors as you call them.

Postman/woman just gathers their lot and delivers it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Doesn't it seem very inefficient....An Post must spend their days returning package. You think it would be better business practice to just fix the issue

It's not their issue to fix.

If the documentation is not done correctly at source then its there it needs correcting.

When your package arrives at your local sorting office you'll have a DSM in charge, he/she won't even look at your package.

You'll have sorters putting everything in different rounds.

They'll just about look at the addresses.

They'll have nothing to do with and won't care if there are issues.

As long as the address is readable.

And likewise with the postman/woman.

• Advertisement

I Was told today they have alot of new inexperienced staff, that’s what I was told anyway whether or not it’s the issue who knows.

At the local offices?

If so, they'd have no reason to send back a package because of a customs issue.

They don't make that call.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Dynomutt

I had a similar experience recently. Tracking showed a UK item sorted in Dublin, sent to my local post office where it stayed for two days before being sorted, sent back to Dublin and returned to the UK.

When I asked An Post about it, they said it was due to incomplete documentation. I don’t know how the item got so far without it but it’s most tiresome.

Like I said that’s what I was told, local offices, I didn’t ask I was just interested in getting my item so didn’t delve into the nitty gritty of what exactly he meant. Probably liying through his teeth & it’s a fob off again who knows.

Well on the latest An Post tracking it’s in my local sorting office having already left customs.

Going on the latest information it is the sorting office that stopped it going any further

Edit- this is in reply to blade1 comment that the sorting office doesn’t do this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭deezell

Customs would only be interested is duty and excise, and the legality of import. Is the prepayment of Vat, or the collection of same due the responsibility of Anpost on behalf of Revenue? So customs might tell your 'local' sorting office (huge depot, not a shed out the back of a local post office) that some duty is due, or not. Packet then goes to the sorting office who aren't happy with the codes (computer says no) and an automated conveyor belt just shags it into a return bin, where it sits for days or weeks. It's only held for delivery if it clears customs, and codes are OK, but vat is due. Then you get the revenue notice to pay, which is a relief tbh.

I've had some vat free UK stuff arrive straight to my door, about €20 due on it, but no demand received, so that was a small consolation prize. Has this happened anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Sorting office or delivery office? If it the place your postman works from, or the place you go to pickup parcels, that is a delivery office not a sorting office. Parcels are not being rejected by your local delivery office.

@JP2000 my stuff got delivered this am an no update on the tracking info on the website. Don’t give up hope just yet and keep ringing and annoying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭dasa29

I think Customs are interested in Vat as well as Duty and Excise, as any time I got a text about a delivery form outside the EU it started with "Customs Charges of €x.xx apply to LexxxxxxxxxGb. Please pay on the An Post website or Post Office by xx/xx/24 with Ref. code" it was for Vat. Once I pay I get an email from An Post saying.

Hi Customer,

Thank you for your Irish Revenue Customs Charge payment for Item LExxxxxxxxxGB from LIME WOOD MEDIA.

We will now deliver your item to the below address:

The above was from Dec 2022 and I ordered stuff from the same site which is in Scotland in March when they had a sale and both orders were as far as I can tell being returned for insufficient documentation.

The An Post site says the following: LE269670822GB

Order Number: LE269670822GB

27 March 2024 04:44

Your item has left An Post DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE, DUBLIN 12

21 March 2024 14:38

We could not deliver your item. We will try to return it to the sender. DMC CZ, DUBLIN 12

20 March 2024 14:42

Your delivery has been sorted DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE, DUBLIN 12

20 March 2024 13:40

We have your item in DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE, DUBLIN 12

20 March 2024 13:38

Your delivery was received by An Post in DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE, DUBLIN 12

18 March 2024 18:30

We have received a notification about your incoming item from the sender

Royal Mail Says the following: Tracking history

Wednesday 27 March 2024

04:44 Item Leaving the UK United Kingdom

Thursday 21 March 2024

14:38 Unable to Export - insufficient documentation

14:37 Item received at

Wednesday 20 March 2024

14:42 Item has left the overseas International Processing Centre

DUBLIN DELIVERY, Ireland

13:39 Your item is currently with Customs in the destination country.

DUBLIN DELIVERY, Ireland

13:38 Item Received

DUBLIN DELIVERY, Ireland

Tuesday 19 March 2024

00:23 Item Leaving the UK

LANGLEY HWDC

00:22 Item Received by Royal Mail

LANGLEY HWDC

Monday 18 March 2024

17:32 Sender preparing item

Now I did send an email to the website and got this reply

Thanks for getting in contact with us.

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with your orders. I have flagged this to our fulfilment team - as soon as they arrive back to them, we will have your orders reshipped to you. 

Apologies for the inconvenience caused, but thank you for your patience. 

• Advertisement

I got one item worth €50 without a demand. I didn't question it.

And another high value item which was previously rejected due to "failed electronic customs clearance" (VAT due would have been €50+ which I was happy to pay). The second time it was sent, the seller marked it as a gift worth €20 and it arrived without a problem.

Advertisement