Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

South Africa violence and the country's future?

• 23-07-2021 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,665 ✭✭✭✭ Kermit.de.frog

Violence and looting in South Africa have reached new extremes in the last few weeks ostensibly over government corruption but unfortunately it's being used by criminals to indulge in their activities. I'm surprised this is not getting more coverage in the media

What is the future for South Africa in your opinion? This was obviously not Nelson Mandela's vision and the country seems to be continuously spiralling toward a failed state.

I've never been in South Africa, I don't know enough about the country or it's politics.

Would appreciate it if someone from there or who has more knowledge of the country could let us know what is the situation? Media can sometimes exaggerate problems as well or give an unbalanced view. Some of the footage and imagery particularly in recent weeks is disturbing.

Is the country actually headed for collapse?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭  Cognitive Dissident

Feel very sorry for them. Of course it cant be openly discussed in the media because the ANC have been turning SA into a kleptocracy since they came to power.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,852 ✭✭✭✭ Calahonda52

the nuke station and the security of it is a big concern

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koeberg_Nuclear_Power_Station

• Advertisement

I think there are two possibilities:

1. They will continue on their descent into a third world failed state just like Zimbabwe.
    2. They will separate into two states, one for those who value stability, democracy and the rule of law. The other being a tribal confederation full of poverty, random chaos and high level corruption.

The second option is more likely as there are high value business interests involved. If it is the second, there will some very difficult conversations around apartheid ( in terms of its original inception) which will have effectively come full circle, despite global hopes for the ANC and ' The Rainbow State ' .

Both possible outcomes don't have to involve civil war though.

The lack of reporting in major media outlets is increasingly noticeable. One issue that's particular disturbing, is the farm murders. Cant post a link but there's a good doc on YouTube by ABC Australia ' South African Farm Murders

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭ 323

Cant load the OP video, but can imagine well enough. No the media is not exaggerating, mystery here is why its not being reported on. Is it heading for collapse?

SA has been in collapse for some time, and very quickly getting worse. Infrastructure collapsed, no trains any more, no electricity or water much of the time, rampant crime, totally corrupt and dysfunctional government.

Many friends from there, some who have left, many still there, some in the process of trying to get out but can't. Told by one last month, he and his wife can but one of the kids passports has less than the 1 year validity left. Need over one remaining to get visa where they're going to, fairly standard, said they can't renew because their Department of Home Affairs like much of the government is totally dysfunctional at the moment and not issuing passports.

A pity, such a beautiful country that had everything going for it, great climate, great people, abundant resources, everything. Mandela's Rainbow Nation, now just going the way of Africa. Regret not seeing more but consider myself lucky to have seen a fair bit of it before it got to this current sorry state.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭ Billcarson

Don't need terrorists to make poor governments.

As if ff and fg are incorruptible. Lol

The great Charles Haughey to name one in particular.......

Anyway I won't derail the thread any further on that issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭ fvp4

FF largely shared power with FG. The ANC doesn’t share power.

Rwanda has been doing well. Kagame's regime is authoritarian, but it gets good results.

After the genocide of 94 it received a lot of inward investment which it put to good use.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭ Richard Hillman

As cricket follower, you can see the total disaster that is occurring. The association who used to be one of the cricketing powers are now a basket case. Affirmative action has left scores of top players leave the country.

Rugby is getting lucky in that the players can still represent the country when they leave but they are still losing players.

It's all symptomatic of the state of affairs in the country. Anyone with any potential in any field is getting the hell out of there.

As mentioned above, they have nuclear power in South Africa. Probably too far away to effect us of there is a disaster but I wouldn't be too keen to be their neighbours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭ Richard Hillman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭ Peterteanh

It's really hard to see how they can turn it around. It's looking more and more like a failed state.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,665 ✭✭✭✭ Kermit.de.frog

I don't understand why this is not reported here in the media at all. I know it's as far away as you can get but i've seen nothing certainly on Irish or UK news sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,023 ✭✭✭✭ Atlantic Dawn

I think sadly like this country the bulk of the population are committed to voting in the same chancers over and over again which will only end in the same results.

I've talked to a few white south Africans and the stories they've told me would chill you. Absolutely barbarian acts carried out on people. I worked with a few south Africans when I was in new Zealand. I found them to be very cocky and arrogant but seeing what they have to put up with over there I wouldn't blame them. It truly is a basket case.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ TefalBrain

A lot of these African nations are just ungovernable and violence and corruption is widespread. If only there was an obvious reason why 🙄

• Advertisement
Advertisement