Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Charge Point Removed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Should install these with express screws then take a drill and round out the torx head off the screw. Job done.

Will have to be sold with the house though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Some of the security screws could have their recess(es) filled with epoxy so a potential thief would not only have to have the appropriate matching security driver but also a drill and matching sized bit to clean out the screw recess before the mounting screws could be removed.

Anything that adds to the difficulty and time it takes to remove increases the risk to a thief of being seen and consider it too high a risk for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭remoteboy

I must pop the fascia off at some point and take a look at the screws. Don’t want to mess with the unit too much though in case it affects the waterproof rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,803 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Just happened across this thread, can't believe something like this would happen. Sorry for the OP

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Wow, sorry to hear that OP, absolutely maddening.

Im due to get one installed soon, and it hadn't even crossed my mind about it being potentially stolen. Will have to think hard about trying to put it out of sight. Just told the wife and she said, so if you leave it charging overnight it will draw attention to having a charge point.

Jesus, you just can't have nice things can you....Might invest in an automated turret to defend the house 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

I'd look at some sort of bolted bars over the box or wire mesh boxto make it very hard to remove.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Also consider electrifying that mesh box! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Genuinely. And I mean this with all due respect. No lad stealing these is carrying around epoxy to set the screw recess first.

But I appreciate the effort you put into the post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

I'd be engraving with a welder onto the casing with 😀 your on CCTV..... or something that gives me a chuckle and devalues the steal for fat fingers.

• Advertisement

I think I mightn't have been clear. The idea is when installing the charge point use anti tamper screw heads e.g. two hole screw head

and fill the holes with epoxy once installation is complete. Then even having a matching security bit would be no use to a would be thief.

They would need to have a drill and correct size bit and first drill the epoxy out of both holes in each screw before they could unscrew them. Potentially noisy and slow, increasing any would be thief's risk of being seen and caught, hopefully to the point where they think the risk too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Was it him?

What a horrible thing to happen. My CP is worth a lot less, but even after 3 years I do think that some scummer will take it off the wall for a quick profit. I've noticed dumpster divers and men with ladders giving it a second look when passing by. One can only hope they get fried in the act.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Some anti tamper screws and I'd add something like a Xiaomi switch ( usually used for doors and less than 10 euro) strategically placed so you will get a notification on you phone immediately if it is being removed or a cover opened ect...

Good idea. Running wiring an for an anti tamper switch back into the house alarm shouldn't be too difficult either while the electrician is wiring the charge point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Would it be possible to mount the charger to an indoor wall and run a lead to outside?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It'll stop the person taking it but you'll still need a new one, as they'll just destroy it if they can't get it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mod Note: This is not the place to discuss the legality of publishing video, deleted posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭turnfan

I did this, unit in the garage, cable comes out under the door with a little notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Tazium

PlugShare app allows you to add your home charger. I've not submitted so can't be sure of how that data is used but that could be another source of information for any thief. Map visible home chargers! Legalities aside, a video of the offender delivered to Guards should prompt some kind of a response beyond the shrug. Watch the usual apps for resale (adverts, done deal, ebay, gumtree etc.) and hope it pops up allowing you to inform the guards and proceed with recovery.

Don't suppose it's claimable on home insurance? No doubt the insurers will find a way to wriggle out from that. It's a horrible way to be left, hope you find some comfort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

Sorry to see that OP, I hope your house insurance will cover it. This was the main reason I didn't put mine at the front door. Even with CCTV I didn't think it would be safe enough.

Some good suggestions about the tamper resistant screws, unfortunately I'd say the scumbags would still destroy the unit even if the didn't get away with it.

Someone mentioned catalytic converter theft. Unfortunately I think charger theft will become far more common as they become more numerous, especially on high end expensive units.

It's part of the regulations that the isolation switch has to be there, if you get it done with the grant it has to be installed. I don't agree with them myself.

Fuel theft is pretty common already, more so in large volumes like HGVs and heating oil tanks.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

moped muggers in the uk have no problems with putting holes in tanks of cars to keep their mopeds rolling. They really are human vermin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Hi Mr Thompson, I live out this way too and I spoke with the local community Garda today who said there hasn’t been any reports of this in their locality, did you forget to report it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The EV sitting in a driveway is a bigger giveaway then an app.

The Gardaí could most likely go out tomorrow and get the person who stole the OPs unit, the Gardaí now most of the thieves from running them through the system so often. The reason they don't is because they know that nothing will happen to the thief after they arrest them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Tazium

The app doesn’t need visibility of a car in someone’s driveway. Can be used by anyone, from anywhere, to profile and target those homes displaying with a home charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Agreed, sure they drive around estates looking for this kind of thing.

Who does ?

Why would you want your house on a public map ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

This was and remains inevitable, we called this out many times before, there's just a couple of screws, actually surprised it took the 10 minutes.

CCTV will be useless because of the inept Garda attitude in this country.

Tamperproof screws also a waste as you can pick up a full set of heads from likes of AliExpress for pittance.

I'm moving my charge point in next month or so and as I have access to the rear will be fitting via long bolts.

Sorry to hear OP

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Yes of course I did?

I actually just spoke to a detective ,he asked me if it was a Tesla box and was surprised when I said no.

Apparently they are the most common ones to be taken as they as the most "flashy" looking .

I've never heard of it but I guess not everyone is on the internet telling people they got fleeced.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement