Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Irish Ice Hockey player Resigns in Protest Over Vaccine Passports

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,999 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

PCR testing is more reliable for testing whether someone is infected, but that's not the point of antigen testing. The point of antigen testing is to reduce the number of people who would have gone to an event and infected other people.

Since you acknowledge that PCR testing for social activities is not practical, the only alternatives to antigen testing is restrictions (barring the unvaccinated or barring everybody).

Since NPHET has the luxury of recommending policy regardless of fairness or practicality, of course they will come down against antigen testing and in favour of restrictions. That doesn't make the policy right, morally or epidemiologically.

NPHET guidance and the closure of indoor dining and pubs has not stopped us from getting the sixth highest 7-day average case rate in the EU.

edit: why are we not requiring children to be antigen-tested before indoor dining? It makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Gives another player a chance to represent Ireland. Didnt even know we had a national team. Its amazing how stupid some people are , I could see societies of the fu

So you didn't read the article then? Because it's in his letter.

It's not the fault of a teenager they aren't 18 either. Still can't get served and asked for Id by the hospitality sector

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Sorry, you lost me at teenager in this "analogy".

• Advertisement

I'm sure if you concentrate, the very simple comparison will become clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,951 ✭✭✭cena

Getting off track lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

No I hadnt read it, but I have now and I cant say I agree with most of his opinions. I do agree with his stance on vaccine certs though. I think its a bad decision for a number of reasons. But the one that stands out to me is the moral one...

As in ... what happened to we're all in this together? We all put with lockdowns (grudgingly) to protect the high risks groups (the old). Now they are vaccinated and go back to normal while the low risk groups (the young) are allowed to serve them while wearing masks all day while not being allowed to avail of those freedoms themselves? Thats beyond crap and utterly hypocritical.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Exactly - the person does sound like an anti-vaxxer, but there are hundreds of thousands of adults in Ireland who are unable to be vaccinated soon even though they'd like to be. How is this fair? What happened to being in it together? Obviously giving people a chance to use antigen testing like in several countries in Europe would be a far more equitable approach.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,687 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Well it looks like there's a place going now....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Is it hundreds of thousands?

And was there not talk of some provision for people who couldn't get vaccinated (as opposed to not wanting to)?

At 18-25 you still were expected to produce ID for pubs, off licences, and restaurants.

If only they were brave enough to enforce such rules on MMR, in schools.

And we're at this point because a subset of society were arseh0les and refused to do basic tasks to stop spread.

No masks, no social distancing, parties, packing pubs at Christmas, and going against every request. Just coincidence, I guess, that there's such a massive overlap with the anti Vax/Science squad and those being impacted.

Pretty much everyone will be vaccinated in a few weeks but, as usual in Ireland, the pub rules society

We're at this point because we have a very rapidly spreading variant. Christmas was not just about idiots, many let their guard down and enjoyed themselves as if it were normal. They wouldn't be human if they didn't. It's a whole lot more than the narrow prism you're looking through. Hospitality is as simple as sitting in a café with a coffee and friends, a pleasure for people of all ages.

A rapidly spreading variant which can be controlled by following the same basic steps which these people have been ignoring for 18 months now.

People decided to listen to uneducated politicians rather than medical experts. There was ample evidence that the government was bowing to pressure and plenty of air time showing how they were ignoring the advice of actual experts.

Polls showed that the majority of people were against the opening up. Especially given our terrible ventilation in indoor venues

But it was that coupled with a subset of the population who refused the most basic of precautions. I know hospital workers who are refusing to get vaccinated FFS.

I have wider family refusing all along to wear masks and lie in stores about a medical exemption.

We are facing what we are facing because people are still wearing face shields instead of masks, letting their nose over their masks, not wearing any at all, and stupid things like this.

People are having garden parties with non vaccinated attendees, crowding beaches, ignoring social distancing in outdoor venues already.

So, yeah, if people are not going to respect the danger and get vaccinated then screw them. And as for those who want to get vaccinated how long do they really have to wait?

Not everyone is as sensible and all-knowing as you. Leave them be, it's wasted energy being outraged at anyone. All you can do is control your own behaviour.

Which is why we have a government. They are to implement the rules by which society lives.

One of those rules is Vaccine Passports and Digital Certs to participate in society, while we are under a pandemic.

Simples

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

The Yellow-vest people agree with the guy's decision. Hopefully, he gets the help needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Exactly this. The EU considers a clean test result to be equivalent to a vaccination certificate.

Remember that before COVID the main global conversation was the accelerating gap between the rich and the poor. That topic has been eradicated. Now the government is increasing its control of over citizens and the masses are cheering/enforcing - even though their children cannot afford houses. You really could not make this up! Unfortunately we truly get the politicians we deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

🤣 As far as I know Ireland is not represented in IIHF tournaments. So where was he actually representing Ireland?

At the start of the pandemic last year they went to Chicago to play local teams.

Your right in that they can't part take in iihf tournament due to Ireland not having a permanent ice rink

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Anyone can represent their country playing local teams somewhere in something. I don't follow ice hockey as I used to but this is comparable to someone quitting their local GAA team and nothing more.

If find it hard to believe the personal choices of an Irish International Ice Hockey player garnered such attention. Doubly so when it seems the "international" Ice hockey team is the equivalent of San Marino entering a team Leitrim Junior C championship

I'll put it this way. Ireland was on track to be in the international b group of ice hockey before the Dundalk rink closed down.

Even the Jr kids have had success playing against team around the world that have full time ice rinks. I wouldn't compare it too GAA

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

We have an ice hockey team now?

How do the lacross players feel about it? That's what's really relevant!

"Ireland is now, officially, a Medical apartheid/Fascist State in line with the wider global control grid."

"The group of people acting as the Irish Government has been allowed, by our citizens, Gardaí and the Irish defence forces to erode our rights given to us under the Irish constitution, the UN declaration of human rights and have broken the Nuremberg code."

That lad is gone.....like gemma level gone

Yes. There is a League of Irish and northern Ireland teams

• Advertisement

True.I would hazard a guess that the average rural Gaa club has more playing members than the entire Irish ice hockey federation

Advertisement