Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music is unnecessary

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Music can be anything you want it to be OP, for example:

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭john123470

'On the nature of daylight' (Max Richter)

I think Music is one of the basic elements. From the sighing of wind in trees to flowing rivers, it pervades every aspect of our existence.

Some can access this realm more easily than others .. it is a matter of becoming aware of it .. like a soundtrack to Nature. The music becomes the emotion

One with 'Van Gogh's ear for music' will not appreciate this immediately

I think current boy / girl bands / popular music barely skim the surface. Very little range of emotion

If Op took up an instrument, s/he might begin to see / feel music differently

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Synesthesia is some trip all the same 😁

The opening post in arguing that music is unnecessary, demonstrates every reason why music and being able to experience and participate in music is essential for humans to be able to express themselves and for other people to be able to appreciate the value of music and being able to express ourselves through music.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Someone could post all video games are a waste of time, or social media is a waste of time, everyone has maybe one thing they do not like .i think horoscopes are a sham , peoples behavior is not controlled by the stars .education and upbringing is more important.

i think music is not necessary but its nice to listen to when you are reading or doing something else,

yes theres awful music out there, but country music , is totally different from edm electronic music or rap , hip hop .

i like music from the 80,s ,90,s before people started just to use programs and laptops to make music .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I agree with you regarding the love songs and depressing songs in general. I want my entertainment to entertain, not make me feel worse. But good music can completely change your mood. I wouldn't suggest stop listening to music, but more find what you like and listen to that, and pay no heed to anyone else and what they think is good music.

But love and depressing songs can just die.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Listening to music is an enjoyable distraction and temporary escape from our harsh, depressing and banal lives. It is basically a waste of time though and a habit that is difficult to get out of. The passive consumption of other people's work is the issue - same with sport and movies . Added to the fact that most of us are rubbish at actually playing music and sport because we don't have the talent, time to practice or didn't start at a young enough age.

I say this as someone who has just spent many hours watching the British Open golf and becoming invested in which multi millionaire was going to win. Then felt like an idiot afterwards for doing this. Yet I'll likely do the same thing next time around.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

For people like that there's https://eu.huel.com/

Lots of people bought James Last predigested cover versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭4Ad

The very thought's of life without music makes me shudder !!

Sitting outside right now in the twilight warmth listening to songs !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

It's not that I don't like it just that it makes you detached from reality.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

• Advertisement

There are some songs I find really difficult to listen to because of the memories they bring up. The memories are not all bad, some are amazing, but the emotional charge is just too much for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Hi OP, could you please leave without a fuss, right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

So are films, novels, paintings, airplanes, escalators, coffee, beer - but they're still quite nice, so we continue on with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

OP, Have you been watching Footloose starring Kevin Bacon again? You're not meant to identify with John Ligthow's fundamentalist minister character by the way.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain

• Bob Marley

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Hello OP! You might like the short story of Tolstoy called "The Kreutzer Sonata" which expresses some sililar sentiments, and also defines Love itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I'm obviously just on a higher frequency than most Neurotypical Boards.ie members.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This ditty by Vivaldi gets me every time.

EDIT just in case of confusion, that's a bloke singing. IIRC it was originally written for castrati to sing(yeah, don't go there). That we went from banging rocks(there are rock outcrops that have been tuned by carving to ring like xylophones) and bone flutes(missus) to that is incredible to me. Nothing wrong with bone flutes and banging rocks either. In their place.

Post edited by Wibbs on

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

The day the music died..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

A song I could never bloody stand tbh. 😀

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Hello OP

At first I thought it was the T.Hoolahoop trolling us but the poster went on to elaborate...

OP have you as well as passively listening to music, actively partaken in creatively making music? Any difference?

Some types of music/sounds can trigger ptsd flash backs for some or overwhelm some people on the spectrum or those with above perfect hearing regarding frequencys.

However I may have found at least one piece of music for yourself to enjoy by some auld fella😆

Advertisement