Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobbridge 2.0

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Someone should email that to the minister. It's in her constituency and all.

Why is the state subsidizing a company to hose down sh*t in a pork slaughterhouse in the name of 'experience'? That's likely a deeply unpleasant job and should be paid the market rate, not for some young sucker to do it below the odds because the local dole office strongarmed him into it.

Someone must have already done so as it’s been taken down. Placements like this are what will ruin a good idea. It’s hard to get experience in most jobs but is taking the p. More specific internships/apprenticeships are what’s needed like IT, Digital Marketing, office Admin, etc.

Unfortunately, it still is up hardly surprising that companies would use this as an opportunity to take the piss and exploit people just to make slightly more of a profit.

What should have been implemented. Instead, it is a program where people can get work experience and a qualification at the same time, I'm sure there are plenty of legitimate growing industries that need new people trained.

Ye but look nobody in their right mind is going to or should apply for that job on this scheme. That's a job that should pay a wage.

There will be good opportunities in IT, office admin, marketing etc and those are the ones people should apply for under this scheme if they feel it's a good opportunity for them and their circumstances. I think the smarter people will use this scheme as an opportunity like some people did with Jobbridge.

Welfare can't cut your money without a reason and it must be backed up by legislation. There's no new legislation to allow cutting people's money that don't go on this scheme

• Advertisement

There are already programs like that, look up FIT for example

I know there are already schemes that do that sort of thing, but they need to be greatly expanded, which the government could have done instead of wasting money on this ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

We'll probably never get there, but in Germany, companies tend to take on the burden of new-hire training and recruit for general aptitude and attitude. In the Anglo-Saxon labour market model, job applicants are expected to be the finished article with experience and credentials out the wazoo before a company will look at an individual. When there's a labour market shock, industry looks to the government to pick up the slack rather than look to themselves. The German model inculcates loyalty both ways between the company and the fresh hire.

Had a look at the FIT scheme, and while it certainly seems like an improvement on how activation schemes are usually done, it still is the government bringing the horse to the trough. Still, not a bad option for those looking to retrain, as long as the company is invested in the person on the scheme and doesn't discard after they are done because they figure there's more in the pipeline that government will pay for on the cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

People who are defending the scheme saying people get great experience....

I'm sure there is a few positions in which this is the case...

But I mean when multiple national corporation's use this scheme for entry level jobs...

I mean if Pharma/Medtech companies where offering a proper internships to people on the dole I could understand that...but at the end of the day, these companies are worth an absolute fortune and pay the least amount of Tax as possible...

How about the government offer proper apprenticeships to train people in fields where we have shortages

Advertisement